We shall prevail !

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pilgrim, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah badboy Charlie hehe and....... who's that guy on left - I know him too?

ZackyDog likes this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Patrick Swayze

pilgrim, ZackyDog and Waxhead like this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That’s quite interesting. I’ve always found the culture of Australia appealing and admired the humor with which they seem to approach life there. All I can imagine is that when living in such a huge and untamed land, one learns to recognize their limitations and see the humor of the situation.

4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yes it certainly helps :D
    As a great American once said ..... "every man's gotta know his limitations" hehe :eek:

pilgrim likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    90% geographically, but not demographically. urban population is 86%.

But right now I'm jealous of your location!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    pilgrim, Waxhead and Tadhg like this.
  6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I sincerely do not intend to offend anyone, but after living in Sydney for a year, I started telling people that if you mixed a bit of England with Texas, you'd get something in the ballpark of Australia. A very rough approximation of course.

ronbo, blueruins, Stefan87 and 2 others like this.
  7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Thats funny, my buddy in Adelaide who visits us every other year sez its like Riverside, CA exception nature wants to kill you in Oz :)

pilgrim, Merc, Henry and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Possible Riverside is in a very big county!

TV the Wired Turtle and pilgrim like this.
  9. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    No offence here, I can see that, in saying that after living in Sydney for year i did move back to Brisbane lol.

Will say though which ever way Waxhead lives 2hrs from Sydney, both up the coast and down the coast is lovely, Sydney is nice too just a little up there living wise for my family unfortunately, Melbourne is awesome, S.A and Perth is great too, which looks like will all be closed on all borders now too as things get serious now.

I guess what I'm saying is everyone should come visit once the travel bans lift, not all the wildlife want to kill you just most of it.

pilgrim, Tadhg and Henry like this.
  10. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    Yeah, the wildlife wants to kill you... Like the mountain lions (hang on, no cats in Australia! Well, ferals only), wolves (the Asian wolf - the dingo - is shy), wolverines, grizzlies, black bears.... Well, we do have 'Drop Bears', but... :D

You should all come for a visit, if at all possible. :cool:

Love the NSW coast, and Sydney, and Tassie, and Perth, and live in Qld, and...

pilgrim likes this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah and the urban size is a very small town by your standards.
    All of Northern Territory has 244,000 people and 132,000 of that is in Darwin - area = 1.421 million km²
    Western Aust has 2.5 million people total and 1.9 million of that is in Perth - area = 2.646 million km².

The northern provinces of Canada are similar.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Hard to offend us :D
    When did you live in Sydney Henry ??

Stefan87, Henry and Tadhg like this.
  13. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    ok, now I really think this is this is too much for us in Croatia. after couple of earthquakes in last two days while fighting corona and heavy wind storm, now we have heavy snow!!!!’ What is next? locust?
    snow after very injured buildings and their roofs in center of Zagreb is the worst scenario. this is like a bad apocalipse movie.

pilgrim likes this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Wow! I know a bit about those things so be careful! Keep your roof clear!

pilgrim likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    All of 2004. My wife was a law clerk at the federal court, I studied economics at University of Sydney.

And to put into perspective how stupid and ignorant my comparison was, I've only spent 4 days in England (another 4 days in Scotland), and aside from flight stopovers, I have never visited Texas, LoL.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Waxhead likes this.
  16. afire

afire Country Gent

I saw this last night while walking my dogs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

new6659, mrfixitmi, Henry and 7 others like this.
  17. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’m sure it’s changed a bit. But I was fortunate enough to to make it to both Sydney and Perth 20 years ago. Both city’s had their own flavor and we’re friendly with great people. We hope to make a stop there while visiting a friend in Japan once my son is older.

Stefan87 and Waxhead like this.
  18. afire

afire Country Gent

I went to Australia and New Zealand with my high school choir. In fact, I only joined the choir for that trip. The English Texas is pretty close to my recollection. What I would give to have that trip again and pay a little more attention to my surroundings. Youth is indeed wasted on the young.

Henry, Stefan87 and Waxhead like this.
  19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    There is a movie called The Dish, about the role the radio telescope in Parkes played in Apollo 11. I love the way the culture is portrayed. It’s quite familiar to anyone that knew small-town America, yet there was a British influence which gave it a different flavor.

My conclusion is that it showed the human spirit, which manifests itself under all sorts of conditions. Texas was, in essence, a nation which broke away from Mexico and has its own distinct culture, which has a broad streak of individualism. There was a degree of isolation involved and a land which was rugged and untamed at the time.

If we compare this to Australia, there are some parallels and, of course, Australia is very isolated, so it has had plenty of opportunity to develop its own cultural traits.

Stefan87 and Waxhead like this.
  20. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Indeed. When I was a kid my dad was a deacon. His buddies were the parish pastor and associate priests.
    They were all Irish men except for dad who is Cuban. I remember visiting the parish rectory with dad on occasion. Guinness beer was always the preferred drink. When I became of age my 1st Guinness was at my parish with the parish priests. To be fair, non of them were drunkards.

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice