We shall prevail !

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pilgrim, Mar 16, 2020.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    China to Italy? It's Marco Polo's fault!

Here at Purdue, we have the largest population of Chinese students in the US. When the virus hit, they couldn't go home, so the foreign students are the only ones on campus, except for the workers.

pilgrim and Tadhg like this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I think, in my opinion, is everyone will come or has come into contact with it, it is inevitable. Like trying to stop a cold virus from making its rounds.

wabash slim and pilgrim like this.
  3. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    That's OK. One of the top Indai Ministers was on TV yesterday, whom I'm pretty sure is Hindu, and usped the term "biblical apocalypse". Take it from me that ain't in their book !

4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’m of a similar opinion. I see the logic in “flattening the curve”, but in the long run, this virus will run its course.

Social Distancing makes sense, but it can only be taken so far. For the last two days, I’ve picked up a salad at Wendy’s drive through, as my supper. I was risking a degree of exposure, but no matter who or where you are, you are going to have a degree of exposure in obtaining food. I probably was less exposed than I would have been with a trip to a crowded supermarket.

This is not the first infectious disease to challenge us as a people and we can learn from the past. I may surprise many to learn that both Yellow Fever and Malaria were problems in Colonial America. They defeated these by getting rid of swamps, and mosquito breeding grounds. When the Panama Canal was built, it could only be accomplished after an aggressive campaign against places where mosquitos bred. It worked, BTW.

There are numerous theories about the source of this virus, but the most logical cause was an open market where the sanitary conditions were poor. As I understand it, blood was everywhere and the place would be repulsive to our Western sensibilities. Blood is an extremely efficient means of transmitting disease, BTW.

Unfortunately, we can’t go back and address that matter ex post facto. It’s a done deal, as far as escape into the human population is concerned. They may have slowed the spread somewhat, but it certainly has not been halted. That leaves us at treatment as the most effective action.

There are a lot of people working on this, and perhaps they will establish the efficacy of certain treatments fairly soon. Drugs used against Malaria, HIV and other diseases have shown some degree of promise. There are ideas on the immunity front as well, and perhaps this will help even more. If a way to efficiently deliver antibodies to a wide number of people is soon found, that could be a game changer.

Like all situations, it will find it’s equilibrium and we’ll move on. We are faced with potentially deadly viruses every day of our lives. Most are viruses with significant immunity that has built up over the years and we live our lives unaffected. All of us fight off colds and influenzas on an ongoing basis, usually with no noticeable symptoms. SARS-Cov-2 will end up the same way. The H1N1 of the Spanish Influenza revisits us from time to time as Swine Flu, or some other strain, but we don’t have nearly the problem with it that we had 102 years ago.

For most viruses, we, or more correctly, our immune systems, learn to live with them and life goes on.

wabash slim, pilgrim and Tadhg like this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    All so serious here - now for a little light :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That was enough to convince me. :)

Waxhead likes this.
  7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    pilgrim, new6659 and blueruins like this.
  8. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Surgit nec mergitur !

LATIN PHRASE ON THE FRONT OF NOTRE DAME
    She rides the waves but she does not sink.
    That is who WE are !

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    blueruins likes this.
  9. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Thanks for all the post. I am riding it out here. I called Walmart to ask if our grocery order was ready to be picked up. My wife was climbing the walls to get out, NOT ME ! The girl ask me "Where are you parked ?", I said "Right here in my Kingsized bed.", she said "OH". She told me our groceries were ready to be picked up and were already paid for. My wife never even spoke to the young lady that came out and loaded her car trunk. Ah, Change. This is my last post to this thread.

Mark Twain said, "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear
    not the absence of fear." Too often we attempt to be courageous by denying our fear, and yet the fear we feel enables us to be courageous.
    Be courageous my friends, NOT foolish. Pilgrim, OUT

MTurner, wabash slim, Tadhg and 3 others like this.
  10. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I went buying stuff this morning. Essentials, once a week or less ... what I can't avoid I'll have to...

Everyone was acting ... reasonable and kind. Taking the distance seriously, not messing around with it by any means. The first time ever I went shopping without meeting at least one person acting surprisingly dumb - no, none of that.

Being a little more kind to each other might be a positive result of this negative impact. Not that nice it's happening this way, but when I think of all the worse things that could happen and sometimes need nothing but just one person freaking out where/when freaking out isn't especially useful, I'm a bit surprised on the good side.

In some parts of germany, a mask covering mouth and nose will be mandatory in some situations from next week on, which I appreciate, as flattening the curve will work best when every opportunity to transmit is spoiled - even if this means thousands of people wearing something around the lower half of their head who don't have this disease ... just one infected cough landing in a layer of fabric instead of landing in someone else is worth this. And as I found a few bandanas, I'll have something that will work (and look either cheesy or cool ... skulls, some red pattern of whatever, daisy flowers on orange ground and I might have a fourth one, too), although I'm not sick yet and do everything to avoid picking it up, ... anyway ... we shall prevail, so ... I think most people around here are reasonable enough to do the standards at least, it will be up to being more or less lucky, so ... only this remains: good luck everybody!

Roger49, pilgrim and Waxhead like this.
  11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I went grocery shopping this morning and people were OK. There was plenty of most items, some toilet paper and overall not too bad. Unfortunately, one of the workers there was changing price markings for various items and bumped into me several times. Basically a self-important little twerp, because there were no crowds, etc. He just didn't care about anyone but himself.

Roger49 and pilgrim like this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You know it’s funny what’s in short supply, my little store hasn’t had flour for awhile now.

Tadhg likes this.
  13. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Shopping today. Surprisingly many people, but most do distance themselves. Anyway, I have great news: I got a pack of TP! A real pack! Real TP! Really! One pack each person, no more of course, and they were out of it again pretty fast ... as I am at my Dad's place at the moment, and he's one of those who really, really shouldn't get infected due to general health and the stuff he already survived thanks to modern medicine, so it is my task to prevent this.

I'm planning to buy that much stuff this week that I won't need to leave the house as long as possible, maybe even a month or so ... reducing chances to pick it up seems the only way that is doable, it's still gambling, and still the odds get worse each week, as the numbers are still growing, so taking the risk two times this week seems better than one time this, one time next week. And I don't want it, too.

... but at least, distancing still works. Some people are fed up with it already, but here we gotta be calm, be reasonable and do what good examples show us:

[​IMG]

Kittie does it right here! Gooooood Kittie, let me pretend petting something of your size, and then you pretend someone's petting you, so you can purr, and that makes everything better anyway. Where there is no purring, there is no happiness.

new6659, Waxhead and Bertotti like this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I thought that you were talking about someone else.

pilgrim likes this.
  15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    There’s a philosophy for the ages. :)
    I guess when it comes to self-important little twerps it’s better to be specific. :)

DennisC and wabash slim like this.
  16. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    The curve in Australia's basically flattened. We've been in stage 3 lockdown (NZ's in stage 4) for a fortnight. There's been people breaking it - apparently, over Good Friday and Easter Saturday, one state took in $500k in fines for breaching physical distancing requirements (fine's $1334 per person, plus higher rates for companies). But, for the most part, people have complied. Our ICU numbers are still very, very low - below 5% of total ICU beds nationwide are occupied by Covid 19 patients.

Easter's normally a huge weekend for camping and travel, but everyone's been told to camp in their backyards. Which many have done. The roads are empty. Given it's normally huge, the government's concerned about a possible uptick in infections around two weeks from now. But, given the seeming compliance with the direction to stay home, I'm hopeful we'll be ok.

Easter's in the middle of our Autumn holidays this year. The school term starts next Monday. The Qld government's advised that at least the first four weeks of the new school term (due to start in a week) will be done remotely - kids at home. No one's happy - teachers have to teach from school (they want to sit at home instead), parents want the kids in school (my wife's studying, she'll go onto a prac in this time, I work from home (in a shed in my backyard - not in the house) 12 hours a day and somehow I'm supposed to tutor my 10th, 6th and 2nd graders? And I'm paying private school fees? Think I'm getting ripped off - my kids won't learn a thing...), so it's probably not a bad result. They'll discuss re-opening schools to all students during Week 4, with Week 5 the earliest possible return date. Return to schools will be our first rollback of restrictions. Because whilst it's large groups, it's at least the same group each day (i.e. it's not like walking through a shopping centre on Boxing Day (traditionally our equivalent sales to the US' Black Friday), where it's huge numbers of random people in close proximity).

Meanwhile, the next big spot to watch is Indonesia. They have the world's fourth largest population, huge population density (they're all on islands), and fight for the lowest number of doctors per capita. They recently said they had no Covid 19 in Indonesia; the coffin manufacturers know differently. In fact, it's said that the coffin manufacturers and crematoria are the only people who'll truly know the numbers. The increase in sales is huge - last night's news reports showed a small scale coffin maker (as in, a backyard shop in Bali or somewhere easily accessible for reporters) who said he's already quadrupled daily sales in the last fortnight, and the effects haven't hit home yet. The peak there may not arrive until September...

Talking numbers, given Australia's tested far more per capita than anywhere else in the world, the Australian Chief Medical Officer's on record saying he doesn't trust anyone else's numbers. Not China, not the US, not the UK, not Italy. He implied he's closer to believing South Korea and Singapore than anyone else, but wasn't clear. Because the scope of testing elsewhere just isn't broad enough. It seems that, whilst the WHO may trust China's numbers, the better, more accurate reading of the disease's impact there may - just like Indonesia - be tracking the huge increase in workload at crematoria (it's significantly beyond the scale the Chinese government have reported) and the number of cell phones no longer in use across the total network (which is similar in scale). I'd say that, for the vast majority of nations, the only true way to track the impact of this virus will be retrospective, in measuring the change in death rate between 2019, 2020 and whenever we get past Covid 19.

Still very thankful to be in Australia, and hope that you're all staying safe.

new6659 likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Some truth to that. When the Black plague hit Europe around 1340 starting in Italy(history repeat anyone?) it was because Italy was a central shipping hub from and to China.

Tadhg likes this.
  18. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    My brother, who was a resident in a care home in England, recently contracted pneumonia and was taken to hospital where attempts to cure the disease with antibiotics failed and on the 18th March he passed away. My first thought was that he must have succumbed to corona but it would seem not. The funeral directors assured me that anyone who dies in hospital is automatically tested for covid-19 because if they test positive then funeral directors have to follow different, much more stringent procedures in handling the body and the care home would have to be informed because of the ramifications for the staff and patients.
    These facts have not been widely reported upon but demonstrate yet again the depth to which precautions to contain the virus - or at least to slow its spreading - need to be for the benefit of all of us. However, more than one care home in the UK has already experienced its own 'internal epidemic' which in a closed community of this kind is a nightmare for staff and residents.

None of us know when this will end but we can all do our best to comply with the restrictions imposed on the advice of the experts - somebody has to weigh the pros and cons of lockdown with the health of the population being set against what is undoubtedly massive economic damage with the loss of countless jobs and businesses. For once I am grateful that I am not the one who has to make that call. My brother's funeral will be held this Thursday and although I would be able to travel to the UK to be there my family have decided not to attend and will set a date for a service of some kind when everybody can attend (not just the current limit of 10 mourners) once the dust has settled on this appalling outbreak.

Some people, however, seem hell-bent on ignoring the restrictions in place for selfish reasons but even they will not ultimately prevent some semblance of normality returning whenever that may be and at what cost. As this thread's title states - we shall prevail.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    new6659 and Ricochet like this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Sorry to hear about your brother!

20. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice