We shall prevail !

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pilgrim, Mar 16, 2020.

1. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    because it is 100% cotton! Nocturne protective mask :) tnx Tavo for presents that you sent together with pedals!
    86BE601A-232D-4944-B4A2-C8F2CA1EC68D.jpeg

2. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

There's a lot of travel between China and Italy related to the fashion industry. The weeks leading up to the Milan Fashion Week in mid February are especially busy. One theory is that several Italians from in and around Milan became infected during visits to suppliers in Hubei, leading to multiple points of seeding.

On another point, we also have lots of Chinese students at universities in the UK. That would only be a problem if they had travelled back to Hubei and Wuhan, or had received visitors from there.

Final point, I guess its almost impossible to draw any correlation between statistics from different countries. As Synchro says, we have incomplete data sets, and also different methodologies of testing and recording.

Roger49, Waxhead and Tadhg like this.
  3. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    It's been in the USA since January, which I think is as long as it's been in Italy. And it's not been widely tested, the testing's increasing, but it's starting late (there were claims that it was initially ignored by some medical authorities), and is at low rates per capita. So I expect it's actually already bigger than the reported numbers (i.e. asymptomatic cases). That old 'incomplete data set' point. But I agree, it'll get bigger there...

I didn't realize that Lombardy is demographically the oldest area of Europe. That's very interesting, and rather under reported for such a relevant point.

We had to vote in local government elections today. The way our booths were set up, we were able to work social distancing properly. But insanity to demand voting (because voting is compulsory in Australia) across Qld for all local governments in this current environment.

And the British PM, Health Minister and Chief Medical Officer have all tested positive...

Thanks Markeebee. :)

new6659 and Waxhead like this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    We had a big video stream from some of our corporate big wigs. All I heard was remotely working etc it seems this has been going well and now people at the top fell a lot of office types could work out of their home permanently. I see a big push coming to keep people home working more. This will change the face of business around the world going into the future in some cases permanently. These bean counter are seeing solar signs in the form of smaller offices closed corporate buildings etc.

new6659, blueruins and Tadhg like this.
  5. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    It feels like they would love to do the same thing with the schools, have the kids do online learning is more efficient and way cheaper.

Just what we needed, another way to limit face to face interaction. I realize it's necessary at this time but after we get back to 'normal', the digital isolation of people in general was a troubling trend before all this.

dak55, new6659, DennisC and 3 others like this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Not a good deal at all, my daughter is diligent and doing well with online lessons and an occasional video class. My son in 9th grade needs more video classes because just the text lessons he is having a hard time with. His grades are suffering but some of that is wandering off to play games and not paying attention just rushing to get it done. I told them both as of Monday up at 8 and at a desk until 330 just like in school if they have questions they need to ask me. They aren't learning anything I haven't done before or can't figure out given a little bit of research.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    new6659, Waxhead and blueruins like this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    One other thing people who are home and being paid better work on some personal development they can track. I promise big companies are looking at that. I'm working on learning xls a lot better I can barley add with it currently.

8. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    Completely agree. It's likely to be the thing that pushes things in totally new directions, directions that have only been achievable for maybe five years. Remote working (though that's been achievable for much longer than that - effectively, I've been telecommuting for 15 years), but also the further closure of bricks and mortar shops, who knows perhaps even the end of cash itself.

I completely disagree with schools being shifted online. I don't see how it's easier to work schools online. It's workable at university level (though it's very arguable that removing the nature of collaborative, in person learning and the propagation of ideas in person that comes with that can be a very negative thing, the degree varies between the disciplines), but less ideal at high school and completely unworkable in lower primary. I'm not confident that having everyone online - with spell checking and no capacity to check important things like handwriting (which is still relevant, in spite of the fact that it would benefit me if it weren't) - is remotely positive.

In Australia, we've talked about the 'digital divide' before. The digital divide is very much on socioeconomic lines. To push schools online would exacerbate that. In my town (and immediate surrounds), we have five state high schools, and twelve private high schools (this is very unusual, but we have a lot of boarders who come in from out west to those private schools). All the private school kids have laptops, and they're required to be of a high standard (they're almost universally required to be provided by parents). The states schools, we have friends there, and the requirements for supply are either significantly lower, or they're non-existent. As in, one public school, they provide old laptops to the students at school, but they're not allowed to take the laptops home. So that entire school (over a thousand kids) are now required to be learning at home, but they don't necessarily have laptops.
    Moving kids online only makes the gap between the haves and have nots greater. And for that reason alone, I don't think it would ever happen here. There'd be too much political cost (and rightly so).

I agree about digital isolation being a horrible thing, and something that needs to be closely monitored given its negative impacts.

NJDevil and new6659 like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    In the not so distant future school could be like in the book Ready Player one.

10. ...but the point of a gun was the only law that Liberty understooo,oood...

no argument her, one of my all time favorite flics period

Jimmy Stewart is hands down at the pinnacle of my favorites, for a couple three reasons. Literally love the man and am convinced he’s embraced.

Many who know Gene Pitneys song don’t realize it wasn’t part of the flic and there’s an interesting story behind it.

Tavo, do you all perform this?

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    you may be onto something g there. As a former Minnesot’, I can relate to lots of colds in the winter.

I have heard, but have not verified, that there are workers from China in Italy for a Belt and Road project and that may have contributed to the spread of the disease. That’s from one source, unverified, bu tif it proves to be true, that might mean that the virus has been in Italy a bit longer than we first thought.

I’d love it. Commuting wastes a lot of time.

MKunie, new6659 and Bertotti like this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Today over 2000 negative test results and none pending we are up ten positive with 20+ recovered. Positives today is 68 With the county Sioux Falls is in the highest. 20-29 the second-highest demographic here to have it 50-59 the highest by less than a handful. I expect the 20 somethings to go up seeing as how they like to party and assume it is an old person virus. Now it is raining with areal flooding alerts water isn't running off very well and not soaking in since the ground is already saturated.

14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I think that as the number of tests administered grows, several things will happen. Since every test is a chance for a positive, the number of positives will grow. Also, the number of negatives will grow. The death rate among the infected will decline, because they will be confirming more cases than they were before, including people that were not being detected before.

The numbers I’d like to compare are the number tested, number of positives, number of negatives and the number of people who have recovered from it. Compare that with the number of deaths and the statistics become much more meaningful. .

MKunie and Tadhg like this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    HAHAHA, now we have ping pong ball snowflakes coming down! That will actually help people stay in!

Tadhg likes this.
  16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ve been telling you to knock it off with the sins. You didn’t learn from plague. You didn’t learn from unusual snow. Next thing up is probably locusts. :)

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I’ll make sure to stock up on chocolate!

when life throws you lemons make lemonade. When life throws you a plague of locusts make chocolate covered treats!

MKunie, Tadhg and dougmon like this.
  18. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The spirit of a true northern plainsman. :)

19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Or just a crazy Jarhead!

20. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

From earlier in the thread......

Tadhg and Bertotti like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice