We shall prevail !

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pilgrim, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Hope you enjoy "The Castle" - it's a cultural favourite here.
    Very funny story of the classic Aussie underdog.

It spawned the now famous line "they're dreamin" which you will understand when you see the movie.
    "They're dreamin" quickly moved into common speech here and I still use it with Aussies as everyone seems to understand what it means here.

In fact everytime I see an overpriced guitar on Ebay I think "they're dreamin" :D

Stefan87 likes this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Those kids just don't understand social distancing.
    I understand it, but that's just because I'm antisocial,

Sabato and Bertotti like this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    They understand but they don’t care it’s all about being selfish, they just have to have it their way and everyone best let them. I see this attitude every time new kids get hired in the shops I go to.

Roger49, wabash slim and Stefan87 like this.
  4. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    You are so right, use it a fair bit too, we also joke about offering people 'Jousting sticks' as a trade when my firends and I see something used we see for sale.

Tadhg and Waxhead like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Then, they experience a serious rude awakening---hopefully. We were all know it all kids at one time.

Of course, if your kids are spending Spring Break on a Florida Beach, stop paying for their education because you're just wasting your money.

Bertotti and new6659 like this.
  6. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    yeah. this is very selfish.

Bertotti likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think there are similarities between the Australia-New Zealand and the United States-Canada relationships.

audept, Stefan87 and Waxhead like this.
  8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Did you ever see Flight of the Conchords? It was a TV show about a couple of guys from New Zealand living in New York and trying to make it as musicians. They had an episode about a supposed Kiwi/Aussie feud. It was quite funny.

9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I knew a doctor from Christchurch. Interesting fellow. I've always heard of New Zealand described as having the most scenery stuffed into the smallest possible space. After all, it's really Middle Earth.

I've heard of Australia described as England's Texas. OZ took over as England's penal colony after we kicked them out of The USA. Aussie slang makes Cockneys scratch the heads.

....and, I'd have a cold one with any of them.

dafreeze and audept like this.
  10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Our family really loves Flight of the Conchords.

11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    And I'd be very happy to share a cold one (or even a Pinot Noir) with you.

wabash slim and dafreeze like this.
  12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That was a great show. I think that they were wise to keep it short and sweet, instead of exhausting the premise and letting the quality suffer. And at the end, they were back in New Zealand, tending sheep.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    well the sheep part is one those illogical jokes about Kiwi's that has stuck like glue.
    Aussie's love to tell Kiwi sheep jokes - they do have a lot but reality is Australia has about x1000 more.
    And for 100 yrs we were the country that economically "rode on the sheeps back".

Kiwi sheep jokes make as much sense as Irish jokes imo but most Aussies laugh at em anyway :p

14. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I've never met anyone named "Keitha".
    Without the Conchords, maybe there's no Ragnarok or Jojo Rabbit? Given Taika directed a few Conchords episodes, and worked closely with Jemaine through What We Do In The Shadows.

163k tested... 3k positive tests, 9 deaths so far. One in my town. That person caught the virus on a cruise. 2/3 of all new cases are still from overseas, largely Europe and the US. On Wednesday, with 8 deaths, we'd still only had 20 cases in ICU. So it appears we're catching pretty well all the mild cases, something that's likely not true in most places (e.g. the US had 27k tests for 4.2k positives last week, with a much higher ratio of loss of life). Everything's in reasonably hard lock down, schools in my state close this afternoon (sadly...).

15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I know that they hit the sheep jokes pretty hard in that episode. I’m not surprised to hear that it’s a “thang”.

The Conchords was one of those oddities that come along, every so often. It was different, to say the least. I don’t recall ever seeing anything even remotely similar. I think that there was a degree of authenticity to it that was far beyond anything we’d normally see. The sets, the exterior shots portrayed a realistic world, not something shiny and perfect. The characters had a believability to them that I appreciated. These were guys scraping by, all but starving, but making it through life somehow. They seemed like they’d have been interesting to know.

TV the Wired Turtle and Waxhead like this.
  16. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    When the first line in What We Do In The Shadows was Taika saying, "Flat meeting, let's take the role..." I knew exactly what to expect. It felt like I was watching Murray. And I was delighted. :cool:

All the gags about unnatural dealings with and affection for sheep by Aussie about Kiwis are echoes of the same thing by Englishmen about Welshmen.

EDIT: Qld news has reported 100 deaths in NY State today alone, 40k cases in NY State, 82k in the US overall. More reported cases in the US than in China or Italy. NY hospitalisations increased by 40% today. Stay safe everyone.

17. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Yesterday evening at 8pm people all over the UK stood on their doorsteps or opened their windows to cheer and applaud to show our appreciation for the selfless hard work of the nation's healthcare workers.

It was heartwarming and heartfelt.

Love to all x

18. Son was nuts over this show. First thing that popped into mind when he told me about the title was a fine and rather unique Jimmy Stewart flic from the mid 60’s that has since been remade.

19. We shall prevail !

Yes we will

blueruins likes this.
  20. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    What’s the name of that flick?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice