Join Gretsch-Talk Today

We really need an Ecosonic clone..cough, cough Tavo!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by WannaGretsch, Feb 25, 2018.

1. WannaGretsch

WannaGretsch Gretschie

Oct 23, 2012
    ALASKA
    Are there any clones of this time machine???

BorderRadio likes this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Don't that have the oil can in it?
    Fender made one in the SF era that was pretty cool. IMG_0072.jpg my buddy just sold this one.

3. reverb11

reverb11 Gretschie

Jun 11, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Are you talking about the Ray Butts Echosonic amplifier? The outboard echo pictured above ain't that...

MKunie, WannaGretsch and BorderRadio like this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Right you are, i was thinking of this. Screenshot_2018-02-25-09-13-05-2.png Screenshot_2018-02-25-09-13-05-1.png

MKunie likes this.
  5. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I think means the briefcase style amp that Ray Butts made in the 50s but a repro of this above would be super swell too.

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    So what are we talking about, WannaGretsch??

WannaGretsch likes this.
  7. WannaGretsch

WannaGretsch Gretschie

Oct 23, 2012
    ALASKA
    Sorry, yeah talking about the amp like Scotty Moore and so many others played!

8. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Parenthetical comment: Deke Dickerson owns one of Scotty Moore's actual Butts amplifiers.

nasonm likes this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Check this out.

T Bone and WannaGretsch like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The Echosonic amp was a basic amp with the addition of a mono tape deck with multiple playback heads built into the bottom. The real problem is finding mono 1/4" record, playback and erase heads. Even finding 1/4" new raw tape is an issue. You could possibly do a one off unit, but, any mass production would be unlikely.

WannaGretsch likes this.
  11. WannaGretsch

WannaGretsch Gretschie

Oct 23, 2012
    ALASKA
    Fun vid Wildeman! Thanks!

12. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    The way to do it is basically build an amp with a Nocturne Mystery Brain built in. No muss, no fuss, just good throwback tone.

13. WannaGretsch

WannaGretsch Gretschie

Oct 23, 2012
    ALASKA
    Your right of course, There is obviously potential for disaster with the original rig live, but it would just be soooo cool to have the real deal. I'll just continue with my DM-2w and my Vintage Sound 22SC

14. Guitarsmith

Guitarsmith Electromatic

Aug 7, 2009
    Earth
    Hey all - FYI, anyone looking for parts to replicate a tape delay transport board for these amps should look at the Viking Full-Fidelity model 75 reel-to-reel transports. They have the mono heads required, and are the same Dynamu heads (originally made by Magnetronic) used in Ray's amps. The Viking model RP61 tube preamps for these reel-to-reels have the Viking transformer, that is also found bolted onto the chassis in the Ray Butts EchoSonic and Rickenbacker Ek-O-Sound amps, for the erase circuit. Also, the tape boards for these amps had one Erase head, and two Record/Play (RP) heads; the RP heads were spaced a bit apart from each other, at a distance after the Erase head. The 1st RP recorded the guitar's sound right from the output transformer onto the tape, and when the tape traveled down to the other RP head, that head played the recorded portion thru the amp again, creating the echo. Interestingly, Ray's patent shows that the 2nd RP head would be adjustable, so as to modify the delay time, but this feature was not implemented into builds. I've had great success using most good types of tape found at HAMFests and online sites; the good stuff is often found on the large 10.5" tape reels.

Viking.jpg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    T Bone and wildeman like this.
  15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    pmac11, T Bone, MKunie and 2 others like this.
  16. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    ohh wait... you meant the Echosonic Ray butts sound?? Oh well I got that here, right here boys. Space Echo, Echoplex, and Echosonic all that here in this box. The key is the interplay of the preamps in here. Even the photocell vibrato has a preamp along w the Echo circuits input preamp and of course the switchable brain preamp in front of it all.
    [​IMG]

T Bone, MKunie, nickurso and 2 others like this.
  17. Guitarsmith

Guitarsmith Electromatic

Aug 7, 2009
    Earth
    Hey TV - super-cool man. Although I personally don't care for the oil delay units, how's it been treating you?
    As well, did you make that Mystery Brain effexor? Either way, just wondering if it has a tape 'wow' and/or 'flutter' feature, so simulate tape wear / speed variations, that are often inherent in these technologies. Scotty Moore said he later used a BOSS CE-2 pedal to simulate this sound. And yes, there's a bit of vibrato effect, as a result of fluctuating pitch with tape speed variations. PS - anyone looking for a demagnetizer should look up the "Han-D-Mag" ones made by R.B. Annis (rbannis.com); they're great!!

18. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    While I know the OP isn't asking about the Adineko. I've got one. I think it's nice. It's not my most used delay/echo, but it's surely not the least used. If not my second or third most used.

ruger9 likes this.
  19. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Dunno if anyone's interested, but just for the record, I've had a few days now with my new Strymon El Capistan.

Still don't completely know how to operate it.

But - I like. In fact - I really like.

Russ

MotorCentaur likes this.
  20. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    My first thought when I read the original post was Tavo’s Mystery Brain. Sounds like a slam dunk modern equivalent. I just wish I could justify investing in a MB but I’m a hack home player with limited resources. :(