Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Wanting a Fuzz pedal

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Pdnlegs, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    have been watching YouTube videos for days trying to decide on a new Fuzz pedal. I have a Big Muff. But it does not fit on the board or work with my power supply.

I have been thinking a Fuzz face, possibly a Hendrix Version. Or maybe a Fulltone 69. But then i started checking out various Earthquaker Fuzzes. And well I am feeling overwhelmed. And no going and playing them is not really an option.

So open to suggestions.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Synchromatic

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Are you generally happy with the sounds you get from the Muff, or are you interested in something else? Is the size the only reason you're looking to let go of it? Fuzz is one of those effects that seems to be a real "personal taste" sort of deal; some folks really prefer a Fuzz Face over a Muff or vice versa, so knowing that'll help guide the suggestions. If you otherwise like the Muff, a clone in a smaller enclosure may be the way to go.

BorderRadio likes this.
  3. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    The Muff is fun, but I have never really bonded with it. Interested in trying something new. Eventually I plan on getting one of those Newer Russian Big Muffs to cover my Muff needs. But right now I am interested in something else.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Synchromatic

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    What was it you didn't like about the Muff?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  5. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    Check out the MXR Classic 108. I love mine. It's basically a Fuzz Face in different clothing at a pretty reasonable price.

6. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I've been lookin for a while too, i had that Jimi fuzz face and it was nice but didn't inspire me. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the sound i want, still lots of options though. I like really gnarly '60s biker fuzz so if you can describe what you're goin for we could be more helpful.

7. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    It's funny how I don't like fuzz that much on guitar but absolutely love it with bass. Try a Hudson Broadcast which does the fuzz thing very well, among many other things.

8. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    With the first couple of fuzz pedals I got, I found they were either treble oriented, or bass oriented. Deciding which you like may be impossible until you try them. I also found a fuzz may be great at single notes (playing lead), but not so good at full chords, or vice versa.

The ones I really like are not well known:
    Stout Drive from koamps.com
    Leviathan from Wampler
    Fifth Pedal from southamptonpedals.com (with drive dimed)
    Hot Cake from Crowther (with drive dimed)

9. Mag3

Mag3 Synchromatic

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    This will fit.

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  10. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
    You can get decent fuzz tone with a Tc. electronic Dark Matter pedal for $50. While not a top of the line fuzz , not bad for the price.

11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    French Fuzz : Pierre Henry - Psyché-Rock

I don't know what is the fuzz used here, but it's the one that I love. For sure it's not a Fuzz-Face nor a Big Muff PI... I'll try to find more info about that !

A+!

Andy Fortune likes this.
  12. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    An extremely versatile fuzz that gets along with any amp or pedal I’ve tried it with is the function f(x) Clusterfuzz Jr. I’ve been through a ton and it is the one permanently mounted on my board. The 8bit mode will nail the sound in the previous post, and you can go all the way to smooth Gilmour tones at the other extreme.

13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks Andy Fortune,

As your advice about the Surfy Trem proved to be good, I'll check for this pedal too... But I may have a convenient fuzz already (DIY) that would need some rework :

[​IMG]

A+!

Andy Fortune likes this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I am totally fixated on the Nocturne pedals. Ubangi is great, and at some point, I will have the Fuzz Ray and Seltzerado. Do any of those trip your tirgger?

15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I have to mention that for me its my seltzerado fuzz that is more versatile than anything I've found out there, again not in the fuzz face or big muff realm.. more squarely in the tonebender meets fuzzrite genre. I've added a new switch for this pedal that swaps the caps from the very upper mids centric spagh western soundtrack to more zep meets biker fuzz. If you are using a fuzz for rhythm more than leads, then its usually a distortion that will let the guitar breathe through that is best. The Ubangi is one of those things. If Mike Fuller would take his 69' pedal and add blendable silicon fuzz into it AND a clean blend. that would be the stage pedal to own and I'd have it :) hmmm.. hmm.. :)
    fwiw..
    I've been having some fuzz fun myself with the Way Huge germanium fuzz Havalina. I had to have something w THREE germanium russion flying saucer transistors! There are quite a few demos out there but its ding dongs w black face amps and strats (dont hate).. both items I loathe together.. Here's a warmer approach and the subtleties are shared well even though this brother has a groovy accent I cant place :)