Walnut fingerboard on a Jet

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by craigh, Jun 23, 2019.

1. craigh

craigh Electromatic

Mar 25, 2019
    MD
    I have an Electromatic Jet with a walnut fingerboard. I like the fingerboard a lot. However, my fingers get extremely dirty from playing? How long does it take for the "grime" to rub off the board? Normal hand washing does not clean everything. Any ideas? Thanks

2. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I oiled the finger board with boiled linseed oil, rubbed it in with a soft rag and most, if not all the "grime" came off. The "grime" is actually a stain. Enough stain remained to still give it the dark walnut look although not as dark as originally.
    A search of the forum will reveal lots of ideas. Good luck with it.

Jena, new6659 and craigh like this.
  3. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    All I had to do was replace the original strings, and rub the walnut down with a little lemon oil. But I never noticed any grime on either the neck or my hands. If there was a stain, it had to be pretty light.

4. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I took it all off with some fine steel wool, still looks like the rosewood boards on my other Gretsch guitars. I think they were after an ebony look with the stain, silly!

Jena likes this.
  5. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Mine is stained as well. I was expecting it but have not had any transfer to my fingers.

jfassett likes this.
  6. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    The stain will come off as others mentioned. I had a Reverend Manta Ray that had the same issue for several months after I bought it. Eventually came off with some diligence and lemon oil. Poor planning on the part of the Manufacturer IMHO.

7. I went with lemon oil for guitars from Stew-Mac - not exactly same as lemon essential oil - and not on a walnut fingerboard either - but it is how I treat my rosewood fwiw.

jfassett likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice