Wacky seeing your guitar with someone else

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’m wondering if anyone has shared a similar experience of finding pictures of your guitar on line in someone else’s hands before or after you bought or sold it.

My wacky experience. I bought the below players grade (has a few small indentions) guitar recently. Being that wood grain is like a fingerprint, the straightness of the grain pattern seemed so familiar but I couldn’t place it. And I just figured out it was in a official Vox video demo.

The picture from the demo capturing wood grain:
    53881FC9-B699-450D-804D-774378200FB3.png

My guitar close up wood grain:
    A280AAC8-DA48-455D-BEF1-245FD42DE973.png B6E50C22-429A-485F-A796-8952C191FC49.png

The Demo:

Anyone else share a similar experience?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    loudnlousy and benjwri like this.
  2. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I was once on a forum where one of the contributors Guitars was previously used in a professional demo for Vox.

Ricochet, Merc and Hammerhead like this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Is that a Virage? Switchable pickups? How d'ya like it?

Merc likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    lol... I guess you agree it’s
    a match then.

If you’re not sorry you asked, others might be as it’s about to get long ;). But here goes... That one is the Korean made SSC55 solid body version of the Virage. Owning both the two first Virage’s with the different pickups (called Three-90), a Virage 2 with the same pickups (called CoAxe) as my two 55’s, I can compare easily. The tonal variations of the Three-90 are more noticeable and I’d say well rounded. The CoAxe pickups pack much more punch, are super clear, but are a little less noticeable in the mode switching in lower volumes. Surprisingly in the 55 solid body I can hear the differences in the CoAxe more than the hollow-body Virage 2 with the same pups. Aside from the fact one is a hollowbody, it could be due to the fact the Virage 2 has something different going on under the hood in the cavity. The 55 has an extra brown thing in between the two mode switches and a different thing going on with the volume knob (excuse my lack of electronic knowledge). I like the different personality of both designs of pickups. If I had to choose one over the other I’d give it the CoAxe as I just love the tone. The guitars do have sort of a Gretsch musical chime to them and the happy in between scale length of 25 1/8” is fantastic to me. The Japanese build of the Virage is obviously better with a thinner acrylic lacquer. But the Korean 55 is so much bang for the buck, plays great, but does have a thicker Poly finish. My new semi solid 55 is actually on par with the Japanese as far as a thinner finish. Next to Gretsch these are obviously my favorite. And my rambling in over.

The 55:
    EFFD8B5A-4627-416B-B967-EC5CAD869AE3.jpeg

Virage 2:
    04BDF7CB-2B30-4C5C-8C35-4C9353C046CA.jpeg

This Vox demo thing is still odd to me. But wood grain can be such a beautiful thing.

blueruins likes this.
  5. EC Strat

EC Strat Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    Kind of like seeing your former woman with another man

audept and Merc like this.
  6. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    I now have this prototype centre block Falcon, once owned by Paul Pigat. Unfortunately, the talent was lost in shipping:

EdwardsKim, PDogga, new6659 and 6 others like this.
  7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    At least I didn’t catch anything from the before image. My hair is still straight too.

lol... that’s very cool. Sounds beautiful too and I enjoyed listening. Afterwords, my three year old next to me said “I want that music.” He usually tells me to “put guitar away.”

DaddyDog likes this.
  8. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I bought this guitar in 2010/2011 from someone who sold it for this guy. Don't know who it is, but it is my guitar.

Here's a picture of the Tokai next to my Power Jet.
    IMG_0662.jpeg

Pop1655 and Merc like this.
  9. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I could listen to Paul Pigat all day

Merc likes this.
  10. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Very nice guitars.

For some reason my son told me “please want pizza” while watching the clip. He likes pizza.

Wozob likes this.
  11. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Being a woodworker for a side business/hobby, here I was all high and mighty and ready to say "There's no way blah blah" but darned if that's not the same guitar. Pretty cool!

Merc likes this.
  12. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Electromatic

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    I have a Jagmaster that was used by a professional touring band on the Conan Obrian Late Night show. I t came with a DVD of the show performance. Is kind of weird to sit with the guitar in your lap and watch the DVD

Merc likes this.
  13. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Do you have a website or pictures of what you make? I love checking out woodworking stuff. I made some easy plaques and small stuff years ago. Mostly out of mahogany, walnut, and cherry. I really loved working with walnut, cherry was nice too.

Think of the thousands of Conan fans that listened to your guitar and grooved to it. Knowing the history of a guitar is cool.

14. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I mostly make plaques with my CNC router so it's not especially impressive. No website, but Facebook may still have my defunct "Scooter's Signs" page still up. The profile picture is me in a cold garage with a hat, goggles and a respirator on...looks like I'm about to cook meth lol.

Merc likes this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'd feel sorry for him.

Merc likes this.
  16. moltenmagna

moltenmagna Electromatic

Mar 5, 2009
    Hong Kong
    This one. The cowboy kid. Stays in tune great. The greatest fame it had was when Brian played it at his house on that video in Young Guitar magazine along with his most famous guitars. It's 100 percent original, no nut or tuner changes. I think he sold it because he realised he had too many 6120's and other ones that were closer to stage ready.

Attached Files:

speedicut likes this.
  17. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Video is disabled.

That’s super cool to have one of Brian’s

moltenmagna likes this.
  18. afire

afire Country Gent

I've seen a couple of my former guitars pop up for sale. But nothing beats spotting a guitar you currently own listed for sale. I used to have a '55 Roundup. Like most old Roundups (for whatever reason) it was well worn and little rough, so easy to identify. And there it was on eBay. The pictures weren't mine (must have been a previous owner or seller that posted them), but it was obviously my guitar. Among other things, it had very distinctive wear on the back that looked kind of like tire treads. Which I couldn't figure out for the longest time until somebody pointed out to me that it had rested on a coily cable in its case that ate the finish. Anyway, the useless turds at eBay wound't do anything and the "seller" didn't respond to me. So, my approach was to put up a listing myself to warn off potential bidders, figuring if they found the bogus listing, they'd find mine too. The fake seller gave up and cancelled it and presumably moved on to his next scam.

Merc and moltenmagna like this.
  19. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I sold a Guild that later on came up for sale on ebay. now, I like to look after my stuff; obviously the guy I sold it to didn't. I felt a tiny bit violated!

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice