Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Vox question

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Bertotti, Sep 22, 2017.

1. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I dig the greenback that came with my AC15, don't see a reason to mess with it,,, maybe I'm easier to please,,, could be the hearing loss in one ear,,, from too many night dime'n the Mesa's. :cool:

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    All that really counts is that you like it. It IS a hybrid. I've had tube-pre hybrids and solid state-pre hybrids. If it isn't all tube or all solid state then it's a hybrid. My Korg SV-1 digital keyboard has a 12AX7 in it to "warm up the sound"---it's a hybrid. When you get an amp like yours with tons of FX and amp models, it needs to have solid state circuitry to attain all of those features. The tube in the preamp is there to sweeten the sound before it hits a solid state power amp. It doesn't matter what you call it as long as it does what you want it to. Enjoy!

gtttrrr and russmack like this.
  3. jmg257

jmg257 Electromatic

Jun 13, 2010
    CA
    Anyone try the Vox AC15w head?

Went looking for one a few weeks ago and ended up with a Peavey Classic 20 (more features lower cost, and they had 1).
    Havent found the Vox in store but think it'd be pretty nice, what with an attentuator, etc.

I'd end up using it with the Peavey Classic 2x12 cabinet which has Celestion v30 & a G12.

Had an ac30 way back when, closest thing now is a Valvetronix ST which is fun to mess with, but...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I'm looking for the day they release an AC10 head.

5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    If you like it who cares what anyone else says?

gtttrrr likes this.
  6. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Electromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    It sounds just like a 3,5,7, or whatever tube amplifier out there. And Vox is my favorite sound. It fits my needs and does more than I will ever need. Who could ask:D;) for anything more.