Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Vox question

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Bertotti, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Really Zacky - you'd consider a non Vox - REALLY ? :eek::D:p

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I'm in camp 3 - much prefer tube amps, currently own 2 Mesas but have owned and played many different types and brands. They all have their different advantages imo and have never played any tube amp I did not like.

Having varying music tastes and being versatile myself I need amps that are versatile, high quality and lightish.
    Vox is way too non versatile for me to own now but I love their clean tones and have played many overs the years.

If you're re-considering Mesa Mark 2 I suggest you have a close look at Mark 5 (either the 25, 35 or 90 watter).
    Most Mark lovers think it's the best as do I.
    It covers all the tones from Marks 1 to 4.
    Imo it has the best clean tones, best reverb, is the most versatile and is relatively light

Tony65x55 likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Come on T, don't make me bring out the shovel!
    Two different housings means this comparison amounts to nothing.
    Plus a Chinese Blue? Can you even get those aftermarket?

Over here the UK made Alnico Blue is more similarly priced to the Weber. That would have been a more evenly balanced comparison, and it's still 15 vs 50W...

4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    A re-coned Chinese Celestion Blue (as used in the VOX Heritage Series), using a Mueller H1777 cone, is comparable in sound (I did an A/B test) with a UK Celestion Blue. Simply Speakers does a great job on their re-cones. At least to my humble ears. :)

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Oh, an even better comparison! :rolleyes::D

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Is that sarcasm, Richie? I can't get a reading on you using the internet.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Yes Zack, that was sarcasm, but a good natured one, hence the icons.

8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Well, my help and experience were good natured but, with no sarcasm. In my book, good natured sarcasm is a bit of an oxymoron. ;)

9. jetbunny

jetbunny Electromatic

Mar 29, 2017
    NYC
    The ac4c1-12 does a good job getting the classic Top boost tone at bedroom level. I haven't gig it yet, 4 watts is loud, I miss the reverb but not a deal breaker for me. A pedal can solve that. Overall quality is good for the price.

If you're young, strong ang a gigging person, the ac15/30 wins hands down. But I prefer portable, simple, lightweight rig nowadays.

ZackyDog likes this.
  10. Telechamp

Telechamp Synchromatic

Oct 20, 2010
    Florida
    Love my AC15C1 with my 5120, but it is a heavy sucker.. Just keep that in mind..

For that reason, I usually take the Deluxe Reverb (much lighter) with me to jams and gigs.

[​IMG]

ZackyDog and russmack like this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I'm not you. There is a point I'm trying to make well within the context of this thread. My delivery might be aserbic for some, but in my own way I'm just as helpfull, I think.

Now for Pete's sake, let's get back to Vox amps. :)

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well my Blue Dog and Silver Bell are both 16ohm, 15 watt speakers in parallel and to me int does look like they are doped but I can not tell how much. Now since they are ceramic there will be a significant difference in tone compared to their alnico siblings, or so I am lead to believe. I will see what it sounds like with the Penguin once I hunt down these weird buzzes and overtones it seems to be giving me.

13. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks, I will. :)

Waxhead likes this.
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    sarcasm is the spice of life! Its needed on G-T to keep things light hearted! That video I posted was supposed to be sarcastic.. the extension cab was horrible! Seriously the Scumnico speakers are probably the best sounding vox speakers avail for the money in my book comparing it to an actual 1960s Vox blue. In this comparison video (no sarcasm) I think the ears looking for that "vox" sound will somewhat gravitate towards speaker 2, but speaker 3 sound EXACTLY like the original 60s blues I owned.

Bertotti and Ricochet like this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Interesting comparison. They all sound great to me. Funnily enough I was gravitating to speaker two.

Disclaimer: I have no preconceived notion of how the ideal Vox speaker sounds. I just know what I like.

16. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I liked bits of all three but preferred 1 overall. The lows low mids of one and the high mids and highs of 2 would be ideal for me but that is listening on a phone. I wonder how perception will change once I get to good speakers.

Got to mediocre speakers and good headphones, results the same although I could here more from the better sound sources my headphones being the best. I did like all the speakers but gravitate towards 1 first then 2 and I could see that change on any given day. 3 was excellent as well but 1 wins for me.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  17. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Ceramics are your friend! :)

Bertotti likes this.
  18. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Electromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    Love my new one. vox-vt20-plus-valvetronix-mvo.jpg

Bertotti likes this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Sure looks like a lot of stuff on there, how does it sound?

20. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Electromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    It is the best sounding amplifier I own and was so cheap. It even out beat the old 800 dollar Johnson Mirage J-T 50. I got it used for 170 dollars. And it must weigh 60 pounds. It is very heavy and fells like it. The Vox has 1 tube. and is light. A guy got into a fuss with me. It's not a tube amplifier. I said it has a tube but is not a tube amplifier? It is a tube hybrid. He said a pre amp tube is not a real tube amp learn something. Well if it has 1,2, or 5 it is a tube amp. Do not the cheap Monoprice have 3 tubes in it?

Like I said it has 33 amp models. And sounds like a expensive all tube amplifier. Great effects. Rotary speaker etcc... So I love it. 20 watts and can go up to 30 watts. Gets loud. One of the best I own. 99 presets. Just needed a good cleaning got it used.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    wabash slim, ZackyDog and Bertotti like this.