Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Vox question

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Bertotti, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Gretschie

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Now that is the kind of info to keep me on track thanks!

I am going to go find a alnico Celestian speaker now. Or a Weber copy, I have had great luck with their speakers.

2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I had an AC4C1-BL. I retrofitted a 10" Celestion Gold (I had to make a couple of minor alterations to the amp). With my favorite tubes, it came alive and sounded VOXY.

I tried a Weber Blue Dog (based on The Celestion blue alnico). I liked it initially, but when it broke in it sounded mushy but YMMV.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Bertotti likes this.
  3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    If cash is tight, this A25 alnico speaker from Avatar Speakers is modeled on the Celestion blue alnico. I've only seen videos, but I was very impressed.

untitled.png

Bertotti likes this.
  4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    There you go - Zacky is an obsessive vintage Vox expert.
    Run your Night Train thru those speakers and tubes and that will be your ticket Bertotti.
    Vox appears to be perfect for some Gretsch owners on this forum and far from it for others :)

Gretsch Talk appears to be split into 4 amp camps -
    - Vox obsessed
    - Fender obsessed
    - All tube amps with no strong brand loyalty.
    - Various solid state and modeller users

Bertotti likes this.
  5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I guess you wouldn't be you, Waxhead, if you didn't say things like that. ;)

He asked about VOX and I've had a lot of years playing and experimenting with them. I'd like to have a Fender Deluxe Reverb, but jobs are scarce.

Bertotti and russmack like this.
  6. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    The Weber Silver Bell Alnico is a beautiful choice for vox sound.
    [​IMG]

They also were the first company making Scumback.com's Scumnico. Although Scumback
    has finally got their own game together!
    [​IMG]

I have one of those early Weber built ones in my Tophat 212 cab (a vox repro) and I also have a closeback 112 w the current Scumback Scumnico. If you
    love the vox blue sound but need a bigger low end that doesnt compress as much, the Silver versions are the answer.
    I had a set of original 60's Vox blues that were pulled from one of the Gin Blossoms original vox ext cabs, and put in my
    tophat cab. They didnt last that long strangely, and I got a great price for them. Havent looked back as the Silvers are my
    ideal vintage Vox sound.
    I am a fan of the AC15 although I've only own a Tophat Amps "Club Royale" an AC15 pushed a bit over the top. Run side by
    side w the early handwired AC15 Vox, the Tophat has more dimension which could be all the boutique parts but I was amazed
    at how the Celestion Blue in it could handle the amp cranked to its full 18 watts w a gretsch, such a glorious creamy low end w twangy
    snarl.

TSims1 likes this.
  7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I fit all four categories.

Always remember that while many don't say it, they have been through many amps and guitars to wind up in the place they are. People will seek their comfort ground, what is good to one does not make it good for others but others can still have a wealth of experience.

Case in point. I bought my first Marshall in 1973 and have used several over the years. I no longer own one but I can certainly respect the fact they are fine amps. Just not for me.

I have owned four Mesas in the last 10 years and sold them all, despite their being a quality product. BUT...a buddy of mine has a MK2 that sounds wonderful and I am looking for one for my stable. Maybe that one will work for me.

There are some tremendously knowledgeable people on GT with tons of experience. It's not as convenient as placing folks into slots. Many have been there and done that.

wabash slim, Ricochet and Bertotti like this.
  8. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Please remember that is simply my experience but as Zacky and Tavo pointed out, the change in the speaker could make the difference. Mine is a head and I have run it through several speakers but not the ones they suggested.

Point is though, try the AC10. It is inexpensive, small, light and delivers the Vox sound in spades. Vox hit it out of the park with this one, in my humble opinion.

Bertotti likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Gretschie

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    My 2x12 has a silver bell and a blue dog loaded in. I can set it uo as a open back closed back or partially open back, I need to experiment to see what sounds best. I also need to check the speakers for some reason I didn't think they were alnico, ceramic maybe and I am also not sure of the impedance I bought. I remember Ted Weber and I talking about this but don't remember what I bought. could be 15ohm or 30ohm hell I don't even remember how I wired them series of parallel. And honestly now that I think about it I haven't tried the Penguin through it yet. Last instrument I put through it was an Aerodyne strat with Fender Hot noiseless pups. Sounded absolutely killer!

Seems I have a bit of work to do before I chase a new amp or new speakers. I may just have what I need. I really have to get a playing area organized and sorted out!

10. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada

Very well said

11. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Gretschie

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    I really liked the AC4. But I was only on it for 15 mins in the shop. I thought it sounded very classic and suited my TR a treat

12. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Gretschie

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    This is a good point ZackyDog is the man to listen to. I think his opinion carries most weight

GVDobler likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Gretschie

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Funny I guess I hit three of the four. Maybe I should be looking into a Fender! Three Peaveys all tube, A vox also tube, Zen Tour plenty of amp models in there that sound great, just no Fender tube amp. I think if I am to fit in here better I need to experience all camps!

Like I need an excuse to look at more amps. Doh!

14. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    This is turning into a great thread.

15. Bertotti

Bertotti Gretschie

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I vaguely remember I had my Weber doped that may help. I'm also taking the cab apart when I get home because for some reason I thought mine were ceramic speakers. Those Celestions are a bit expensive but not a deal breaker.

Out of curiosity have you ever tried any 15" speakers with the Voxes you've played with?

16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Deletions? What are they? I associate that in the context of words; deleting words.

Nope re: 15" speakers. :(

17. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Sounds like you already have two of the finest reproduction Vox Bulldog speakers, you just have to sort out how you want to use them. A traditional vox impedance is 16ohm and there is some magic to that, so I'm going to guess that you purchases two 8ohm speakers wired in series for a proper vox load 16ohms. If they were wired in parallel it would be a 4ohm load. If indeed each speaker is 16ohms, then most likely it was wired in parallel giving you an 8ohm load. I seriously doubt it would be wired in series, which would yield 32ohm at which your amp's OT would give up the ghost. :)

btw.. in this homebrew set up vid, and after the guy talks for 1 whole minute he compares the Celestion blue to a Weber Blue Dog in his Vox AC15. Very interesting simple comparison

18. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Honestly, listening to this on my iPhone while walking around my house moving laundry, I can hear very little difference between the two. Maybe the Weber's are slightly warmer and little bit less bitey-er?

19. Bertotti

Bertotti Gretschie

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I will correct my post, auto correct got the best of me on my phone, it should read Celestion.

ZackyDog likes this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Gretschie

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well the Weber is a 50watt speaker in that review and that will have an effect on the tone. I wonder if the cone was doped on that Weber, he never says.

I think I will put together another 2x12 cab tomorrow to compare the 55hz Weber to the cab loaded with the silver and blue Weber's.

I am certain all of them are ceramic so that will also change the tone and character. Not sure how vintage that is but Today I need to revisit a setup then tear into the cabs.

Still interested if anyone has tried a 15" speaker with a Vox, if what what was your impression? Alnico or ceramic? Thanks all learning a lot and having more ideas!

Oh you know cab size and type makes a difference as well do you all have a preferences and why? Thanks everyone!

ZackyDog likes this.