Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Vox question

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Bertotti, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    So with several peaveys and a Vox night train I was thinking moving one on might get me into another vox. I am looking at the ac series, is it a Gretsch thing, anyway. Looking at the ac4c1-12 or ac10 or even a 15. I love my Nighttrain and don't want to duplicate the sound but it seems the AC get a bit more vintage while the Nightrain, although still noticeably Vox, is a bit more modern sounding to me.

I look at the price differences and 4-10-15 is doable. I like the idea of a 12" speaker in the ac4, the head room of the 10 and 15. But in the end I have a couple external cabs that any of these would work well with so a head would be bet. I will not get to play any of them. I have heard the ac4 when it had the 10 and it was just ok so I lean toward the ac4 with 12 or a head of one of the others. Any advice would be welcome, your experiences, currently I have the JSX mini colossal, xx super 40 and xxx half stack. The last I have for its clean channel mainly. I think the xxx has one of the best and most underrated clean channels and it takes the few pedals I have very well. I like chimes cleans, bluesy just at the point of break up and crazy heavy metal distortion so you can see how I gravitated to my choices. I would like a more vintage sounding box. Maybe I am on the wrong track with the Vox and should look elsewhere but I like the Vox sound. I don't know. Fishing for info now. Thanks all.

2. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Um, what was the question?

Actually, it doesn't matter, the answer is AC15.

rockinforJesus likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yea I have been reading old threads and expected that answer. I wasn't sure if the differences between them. So I came here to ask. I have never used any of them and wanted something more vintage Vox then my Nighttrain.

4. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Gretschie

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    I've got an AC 15 but i tested the others in the shop. I nearly bought an AC 4 to save money but I'm glad i went for it and got the AC15. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with an AC15

5. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I’ll never play an AC15 again now that the AC10 is available.

The 10 is everything good about the 15(imo)with BETTER sounding reverb and about half the weight. Best amp in its class.

Andrew Griffin and Robbie like this.
  6. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Gretschie

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    I 'm willing to bet that Tony has already experienced the joy of an AC15 and therefore has reason to be picky about weight. If you don't understand the argument get an AC15.

TSims1 likes this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Unfortunately(and bafflingly enough) there's no AC10 head available, or I would have bought one already.

TSims1 likes this.
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Night Train is my fav of the Vox offerings.
    The ACs are way too non versatile and heavy to be of much use to me.
    And ACs are very picky with pedals too so not at all friendly there :)

TSims1 likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was wondering about that as well

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I love my nighttrain perhaps I just need to figure out how to tweak it better to try and get a classic AC tone out of it. What do you do get get a more vintage vibe from it?

Mag3 likes this.
  11. Mag3

Mag3 Synchromatic

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I have a Night Train 1x12 combo and think it is a great little amp. I have no trouble getting Vox chime out of the clean channel.

Waxhead likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Agreed I can get plenty of chime it seems to have a slight edge to it I didn't notice listening to an AC. Might be as simple adjusting tone on my guitar or pedal. Time to experiment. Also I use a 2x12 can loaded with Weber silver bell and blue dog. Bought them few years before he died. Perhaps I should build another 2x12 because I have two of his 55hz speakers sitting looking for a home. They may work well with the night train as well. A few times I wondered about chasing down another NT an setting up a wet dry rig. But that is a just a luxury and I really don't know how much I would use it. Speaker cabinet though I enjoy building. I should figure out how to build them as flat packs so people could order a can and put it together when it is shipped. Now there's a thought I hadn't considered before but an IKEA commercial made me think of it. Hahahahaha

Waxhead and Mag3 like this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If you can do dovetails, you're onto a winner...

14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia

I don't know - I'm not interested in vintage Vox anything :)
    Mag3 seems to get it from Night Train no problem - ask him what settings he uses :)

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I bought my AC15 long before the AC10 came out. I don't need the 15 watts for home use, band the AC4 was too small, so the AC10 would've been a perfect solution. Still, there's nothing wrong with the AC15. It and a Gretsch are a perfect combination.

16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Vintage VOX? You need a Celestion Blue alnico speaker.

untitled.png

And some nice, jangly and transparent tubes. I use some JJ ECC803s preamp and EL84 power tubes.

Waxhead and Bertotti like this.
  17. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    So totally bang on. If you need more than the AC10 the AC30 is the next choice in the power ladder. I have owned two AC15s and an AC15HW and I currently have a AC4, an AC10 and an AC30. The AC10 and AC30 are fabulous amps to work within their power levels.

TSims1 likes this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Got the tubes covered but I hadn't consider that speaker since I don't have one, but, that might be the ticket! Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    ZackyDog likes this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    How does the AC 4 sound? Does it give the AC tone?

20. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    In my opinion, it is not a great amp although many like them. I don't think it sounds Voxy at all.

Roger49 and Bertotti like this.