Vox amp for gigging?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by ErickT94, May 21, 2020.

1. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    When I’m in need of advice I know I’m in good hands in this forum!
    I feel inclined to sell my Fender Hot Rod Deville 410 and look for something slightly smaller and lighter. I’m kinda over lugging it around and I never go passed 3 on the volume since it’s so loud.

Im interested in a Vox ac 15 or 30. I understand that the weight situation will probably stay the same but I guess I’m willing to continue lugging Amps to rehearsals and occasionally to gigs. My gigs mostly either have a full back line provided and occasionally require me to take my own. In those gigs they almost always mic the amp. This makes me wonder if I could get away with an ac15! I definitely like Amps with a lot of headroom as I play mainly clean tones and run a few pedals. What do y’all think?

GlenP likes this.
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    You can most certainly gig with an AC15. Many do.
    I had a Fender DeVille 410 for a few years, and I got sick of lugging it around only to use it at pitifully low volumes for a 60 watt amp. I decided it was too big and too loud for my purposes, and I traded it in for a lower wattage amp with great results.
    Now I play a Deluxe Reverb. It does the trick.

Telechamp, ErickT94 and Trash Kidd like this.
  3. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Cool. I might have too look into the deluxe as well. And I coincide, my band mates asked me to play at 7 on volume...and it was insanely loud

BohemianLikeMe likes this.
  4. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I also had a Hot Rod DeVille 410 for years.
    An AC15 will do the job 100% Great amps.
    I’ve just got myself a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb which I highly recommend.
    One of the best amps I’ve owned in my 39 years of playing! & Only weighs in at 24 pounds.. light as a feather for transporting to gigs & you really can’t tell it’s not a tube amp..

TSims1, GlenP, ErickT94 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Gibbsy

Gibbsy Electromatic

May 6, 2020
    London, UK
    If you're looking for clean tone, and lighter than your deVille, may I suggest the Fender Blues deluxe reissue?
    Despite it having the 'Blues' tag, It goes loud and clear in the 'normal' channel.
    It's certainly a lot cleaner than the similar Hot Rod deluxe which I don't like.
    I sold my Fender Twin and got this, and never looked back. It sounds remarkably like the Twin with 1x12" Eminence, all valve 40watt, and a damn sight lighter!
    I play mainly Country, (and the odd 'Shadows' instrumental), so need a good sounding clean amp, and after having it for around 10 years now, it's a keeper.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    ErickT94 and BohemianLikeMe like this.
  6. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    An AC15 will take your head off. AC30s are good too, but they're about as heavy (if not moreso) than the Hot Rod Deluxe, though. I never really dug Vox trem or reverbs though.

Honestly, after years of gigging with stupidly loud amps (Ampeg V4, Fender Bassman 100, Vox AC 50) I really don't see the point in using anything north of 50 watts these days, unless you're playing a lot of house parties in the middle of nowhere with only a PA for the vocals or it's part of your overall sound (like Boris or Sleep or Earth or Conan). Even most crappy dive clubs and bars these days mic your amps, so I'd rather get something 14-22 watts and be able to crank it a bit than play on 2 the entire set.

Scott, GlenP and ErickT94 like this.
  7. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    The AC15 is a lovely amp but you do need to pick whatever pedals you want to use with it, carefully. Here's a good video...

I borrowed one for a gig but didn't have time to get fully acquainted with it and consequently found I couldn't get a good (to me), sound out of it with the drive pedals I had at the time. I couldn't get rid of the flubby and slightly flatulent bottom end. For clean tones though you can't beat it, and the reverb is fantastic. I really dislike the drive tones demonstrated above, preferring something more smooth and less 'spitty'

ErickT94 and BohemianLikeMe like this.
  8. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    This is definitely true. Most Voxes are VERY picky about the pedals they take, the exception IME being the AC 50/100s because of their weird, but very flexible EQs.

If you're going the British-voiced route, I'd also look into maybe a Marshall 18-watt clone or used Marshall 1958X as well. Really great amps, if you're into something a little more "rock", plus they take pedals much better than a Vox AC15, at least to my ears.

9. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Gretschie

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    You don't need a new amp. You need a roadie ;)

My AC15 Twin was the 'cause of the last 8 years of back pain. Take care out there!

ZackyDog, Henry, wabash slim and 3 others like this.
  10. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    An AC30 weighs 70 pounds, great amps, but not the choice if you're looking for something light weight. First time you have to lug that monster up a staircase you'll be wishing you had the 15! Trust me - I've been there! LoL!

ErickT94 likes this.
  11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    For me and my personal tonal requirements it is a sad fact that good tone always means big weight.
    To this day they did not solve that problem.
    Tube amps and speakers are heavy.
    The small-wattage packages don`t have the headroom or the defined bass that I like. So I sadly have to go with the big amps.
    Having severe problems with my back I assist @Mr Swisher `s suggestion to get someone who gill help you to carry your stuff.
    Another idea woud be a flightcase with two handels so you can carry it with two persons.
    I recently noticed that there are special pushcarts that are made especially for the transportation requirements of musicians. That would be a good Idea as long as stairs are not involved.

ZackyDog, Mr Swisher and ErickT94 like this.
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yep AC amps are famous for being very picky with overdrive/distortion pedals.

At 48:20 in that video you see the guys introduce the little Vox MV50 with nu-tube which is 50w thru a 4 ohm cab and 25w thru 8 ohm cab. I have one and it doesn't sound much different to an AC15 but has more gain, more clean headroom and pairs with pedals well.

So people can easy save themselves about $500 and 45 pounds weight by using an MV50 AC and a cab with a Celestion Alnico speaker. The re-issue AC15 don't have a Celestion speaker.

Or for Vox tones you can do better than both by getting this Morgan AC20.
    Costs more but still about 20 pounds lighter than an AC15 :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Henry, Sid Nitzerglobin and ErickT94 like this.
  13. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    I dread stairs I literally keep this in mind while researching amps! lol

14. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    How do you think that tone master compared with the other deluxes mentioned on this three? The blues deluxe reissue and deluxe reverb?

Trash Kidd likes this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I gave up on heavy tube amps 10 yrs ago.
    It's completely unnecessary now when there's so many great low/mid watt light and small tube amps made.
    Vox are the kings of heavy :eek:

My No 1 amp now is a Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 which weighs 16 pounds.
    Before that I had an Egnater Rebel 30 weighing 16 pounds.
    They both sound better and are far more versatile than any Vox or Fender re-issue amp imo.

My practice and back up amp now is the little Vox MV50 AC which weighs 1 pound - it's a tube amp delivering 25 watts thru my 8 ohm cab.

tpwaterhouse, emitex and ErickT94 like this.
  16. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I can’t say much about the Blues Deluxe as I’ve never owned one but I will say hand on heart the Tone Master sounds a lot better than my DeVille 410 did.
    From what I’ve read & been told there’s very little difference in sound between the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb & the Tube Deluxe Reverb.
    Ask my good friend @calebaaron666 what he thinks, he has both amps...

17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You never need more than an AC15. What with modern PAs and mikes, it's more than enough. It's Fender counterpart would be the venerable Deluxe Reverb. Others to consider would be an Ampeg Jet (15 watts, best reverb out there) or a Mesa Transatlantic 15. Other than that, there are lots of boutique amps to consider. 15-20 watts and a 12" speaker are as good a combination as there is.

ErickT94, Scott and Telechamp like this.
  18. afire

afire Country Gent

You should look into the AC15H1TV from about 10-15 years ago. Handwired, with both a Top Boost channel for the familiar AC30 tone, and the EF86 channel of the original JMI AC15s, which is the most glorious amp tone I've ever heard. Even at relatively low volumes, it has a harmonically rich shimmer and chime. And you can find them used for under $1000.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  19. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    My AC 15 is a great option for gigs. Plenty loud enough for everything i am likely to do these days and liftable. Id like a vintage ac 30 Just because. But i couldnt lift it, wouldnt want to try and i will never need that kind of power.
    Ac15 all the way.

20. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I've got both the VoxAC15(C1) and the Fender Deluxe Reverb (DRRI), and love both.

However, for jamming or gigs out of the house, I always grab the DR - it's 8-9 lbs lighter..

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice