Vox AC30cc2 questions.

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by freddyfingers, Jan 1, 2019.

While I am waiting, for giggles and grins, I am looking At ext cabs. I can get a new vox 2x12 with greenback shares for around 499. But not looking to invest that much. Other than the vox cabs, what else would be a decent 2x12 cab that wired like the amp needs to be which i believe is 16ohms? And i wonder if you could actually put the AC30 on top of a vox ext cab, or would it just topple over.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I would check out first whether the combo is fat enough sounding after the tube-swap.
    I bet you`ll don`t feel the urge to add an extension cabinet afterwards...unless you are planning to play Madison Square Garden.

TSims1 likes this.
  2. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    That’s what I was thinking! What the HECK kind of venues are you playing? Lol! AC30s are TERRIFICALLY loud!

3. First off, its not for me(trying to keep a straight face), its my wife’s, and Darnit, she should have the best! Secondly, I am playing at the Freddyfingers Arena. Here in beautiful Virginia. BCC78605-F264-4CDF-AC27-4A39DE436B57.jpeg 0C0C4EFB-E9F4-4123-A8AF-61CB78FA52AA.jpeg

Don’t let that fake stuff in the foreground fool ya. That stage is 60 feet wide, and the yard easily holds thousands. Or is it 16 feet wide and the yard holds a few dozen. I get that mixed up.

TW4990, loudnlousy and TSims1 like this.
  4. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

ARE YOU INSANE?

That rustling noise isn't the gentle wind blowing through the trees behind the stage. It's actually the trees themselves, shaking in fear. "Freddy's missus is getting an AC30....and an extension cab!"

TSims1 likes this.
  5. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

That stage looks wonderful, by the way.

rockinforJesus likes this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    If you really want to get the most out of it, put in a pair of "Blues"

Not only will the volume increase, you will have tone heaven.

That said, you'll have plenty of knob twisting to do for a sound that you'll like. AC30's with that control layout take some patience to dial in a smile. It's there, you just have to find it.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    How close are the neighbors to that stage and bandshell? A cranked AC30 is lethal to small animals at 1/4 mile.

8. I played in my yard years back before this stage thingy. Full electric band. The closest neighbor , who is about 100 yards away never heard it. But a person living down a side street about a quarter mile await said it was very loud in their house. Sound travels oddly here. I am by a lake. So i can sometimes hear small boats when I can’t see them, and barely hear the annoying jet ski people in the summer. Most properti4s here are an acre or larger. The two lots on either side are vacant trees. One house is now a rental, and we dont like the summer rental people. The other house that’s somewhat close contains the guy that started to play the cajon box with us and now wants to try drums, and his wife will be getting banjos lessons from me as well. So i am fairly well covered.

Realistically we have been out there four times since it was built late September, due to rain every weekend. Most of what my wife and I play is acoustic based. So a few acoustic instruments with pickups going through a few schertler 400 watt PA style amps. It’s a very clear, clean, comfortable sound, that might project beyond the boundaries, but we stop before 10. Most of y’all are welcome to come down this late spring through early fall when i start hosting a open mike night backthere. Mostly acoustic Friday nights until 10. We provide wine, you provide tunes.

9. Tubes are here! Now to make sure i put them in the right places.

10. Tubes are in. Only bent one pin, but i think i straightened it out. Wonderful thing about this version is that the reverb wires and main speaker wire, are hard wired. They dont come out, well, they shouldn’t come out. They give you a little less lead wire than you need to pull out the chassis. So i kind of loosened one of the wires going to a speaker. Now I know most of you are aware that I am not allowed to solder in the state of virginia, but that was many years ago, and I have a fire extinguisher close by. That and I can not justify lifting this beast out of the basement to the truck to take it for a 30 minute ride to town to pay someone to laugh at me and solder one wire. So i await for the iron to heat up. How hard can it be.

In spring, the clay/mud area you see by the stage will. Have a completed cement and pavers patio put in. Allowing me to roll the amp too the stage. Just need a little battery powered two and as half foot lift to get it to stage height.

11. No fire. Amp works. It has a bit more volume, but I am starting to think that i don’t understand vox. The ac 15 I had didn’t have the headroom i needed. I like a clean sound that the brain pedal can tweak just a bit. The 15 at higher volumes was just that vox creamy sound. So i assumed that 30 watts would not break up as early. Maybe I am wrong. But it seems that as soon as the volume gets up a bit past where I would be practicing at, it adds that vox creamy sound. Sure, cranked up its loud, but not clean loud. When I think loud, I think fender twin reverb loud. Or Roland jc120 loud. Even my 57 twin has a good amount of volume before it gives in. SO I am thinking its not the amp, but me. Unless someone else is more familiar with them and can play at louder volumes with a clean sound? Or could there be something inside that’s not right and i am missing it

12. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Again the Vox should be loud .. don't forget about channel volume and master volume controls.. rolling off the master and up on channel volume should give you more gain I think.. lower on channel and up on master will give you more clean headroom.. I think I'm right on that..top boost will give you significant chime and bite. Btw... if your rectifier tube goes the amps fuse will usually go with it.. the amp will not play.. this was a significant issue with a lot of guys and the cc2 series..mine was played a lot and it blew twice in 2 years.. the c2 series replaced the tube rectifier with a solid state unit.. they are gear amps and are very loud and punchy.. you should notice that they are very loud. Replace all tubes including rectifier.. GZ34 and make sure your speaker wires are connected properly.. do be careful while you are putting tubes in.. don't touch anything and wait at least a couple days after your last play..guys discharge them but if you touch something you will get a shock that could kill you.

13. MikeSchindler

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania

14. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Acoustic outdoors can be weird. Playing in a natural bowl/amphitheater is one thing. Sound is easily contained and controlled. Playing on a hillside or across a lake is another. Often you don't have enough power to be heard; other times, you can annoy people a couple of miles away. As to neighbors, just invite them over for the party. Shutting down at 10PM (here, the city says 11) is just being a good neighbor. You don't want to keep the kiddies awake too late.

By the way---"Most of y'all?" Not all? Ya gots some exceptions?

15. Replaced all of them. And thanks for the tip on shock power. I know my limitations enough not to go beyond pulling out a tube. I was looking for the sound I hear from vox on videos and such where its not fender clean, but a slightly gritty, vox calls it chimy. I’m just not getting that. It’s either a flat sound, or fuzz.

16. You never know who is reading or posting on wonderful sites like this. Although Charles Manson passed away, perhaps some of his followers are out there. Wouldn’t be comfortable with them. At one point I wa very nervous around drummers, but I think I got over that with the invention of the shock collar. That and I try to keep percussive instruments a good distance away.

17. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Ah, drummers. Got it.

18. MikeSchindler

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    If I were you I would le take it to a pro to have him give it through check up. I've even seen things like a faulty power transformer give people headaches. Did you check the obvious like your guitar wiring, pickups and cable?

19. MikeSchindler

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    If that's not the issue and it sounds flat and then fuzzy you might have another issue . My cc2x was very musical , loud, punchy and decent gain which wasn't just fuzz. There are a lot of issues with tube amps that can haunt the owner that go beyond tubes. Some if them are simple fixes for experts and may not be all that expensive..some could be. I keep thinking power transformer or an inherent solder or wiring issue but I'm not an expert. Someone with the right tools can diagnose this for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice