Vox AC30cc2 questions.

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by freddyfingers, Jan 1, 2019.

Hi all. I just got a used, but very clean condition AC30CC2. Got it for my wife to use, but I played on it a bit yesterday. Had some things I noticed, and was wondering if its me, or this is how they are. By comparison, I had a AC15 with a greenback last year. Ditched it because I would rarely use it, and to me the few times I put it next to a drummer, it lost its clean headroom. I know they are not known for great cleans at high volumes, but the 15 was too short. So here comes a 30 watt 2x12. I heard someone play one last summer, It don’t know if it was this model as I didn’t get close, but it was loud. He also used a floorboard that was 4 ft by 4 ft. When i plugged into mine, I couldn’t seem to get a loud volume out of it. It’s was too loud for the family, but sitting right in front of it, the main dimed and the gain almost all the way, very creamy, but not ear pain loud. Not knowing much about them, I looked at the back and these are a few switches my 15 didn’t have. I looked up the manual, and one switch seems to make the tubes run hotter, giving you more head room before break up. It helped a little to increase volume, but it still doesn’t feel like it pushing out what it should. Or I am just going deaf. I plugged the same guitar into my 57 twin reissue, and yes its a 40 watt amp, but at half the volume it was considerably louder.

So, is it just a cheap vox and that’s what you get? Could a tube be shot? You cant see the tubes, they are blocked by a solid panel. Is it the wharf dales? Or is it in general not that loud of an amp. In the past I would upgrade tubes, replace speakers, and sometimes even have someone improve with mods, but when I am done with the amp and try and sell, you dont get it back. That, and I technically i really got it for the wife, so selling is not on the short list.

Suggestion, other than ditching and getting the handwired alnico blues version.

PS

Carried it from my truck to house, and even with wheels, it weighs a ton. Are there lead bricks inside instead of tubes

1. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    It should be very very loud.. I'd do a complete change of tubes also be aware that the rectifier tubes in them are prone to failure ..don't panic.. just so you know you may need to change them more often.. it will usually take the fuse with it..

2. Great. So a set of tubes and a fuse.

3. When you say Change them more often, is that just the rectifier and fuse, or a whole set?

4. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Yeah, it should be peeling some paint when wound up. AC30s are LOUD man.

englishman and Robbie like this.
  5. Just took the back panel off. Was expecting to see tubes No tubes. I am guessing something else has to come off. What a pain.

Attached Files:

6. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Yep.

BC6CFAAE-28A8-4B81-8157-C87F6D2B6E95.jpeg

7. Well it will probably stay in there until I get new tubes. No need to do that twice. If the new tubes dont crank out the volume, what else can it be?

8. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

How old is the amp? Is there a date inside? It probably is the tubes.

9. Don’t know. Tried to find a site that dates modern vox, but didn’t come up with one. It looks just like the one in your photo. When i replace the tubes, probably this week as amazon has them, will check for dates.

10. TW4990

TW4990 Gretschie

Aug 20, 2016
    Sydney Australia
    Diming an AC30 while seated right in front of it, is a gutsy move.
    There a very few certainties in the world, death, taxes and that AC30's are heavy and LOUD. !!!!

11. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Once you get new tubes don't use the standby switch. It likes to eat rectifier tubes.

12. All right. New tubes. New fuse. No standby switch. Don’t lift. Sounds like a very practical amp. Hope my wife appreciates it.

calebaaron666, TSims1 and dak55 like this.
  13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Dang, you have to do that just to change tubes (and the rectifier tube goes bad relatively quickly). They've had 50 years to figure that out!!

TSims1 likes this.
  14. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

PLUS it weighs 932lbs....!
    It’s a great sound though....

Henry likes this.
  15. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Put in an old NOS rectifier tube. They last, where the modern ones fail regularly in about everythiny.

They still are pretty cheap to buy.

16. Tubes should be here Friday or saturday. I’f that makes the difference, as in I cant sit two feet in front of it and turn the volume all the way up(there is no 11, or 10, there are no numbers at all} all will be well. I can deal with the speakers. I promise not to start on thread on Vox speaker upgrades as the world is full of Green Backs vs Blues threads as it is.

17. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Generally speaking, if you sat in front of a properly cranked AC30 you should be too busy undergoing post traumatic stress counselling to write something on here.

If you have time, a useful procedure would be to take a 12ax7 that you know is ok from another amp and swap it for each of the preamp tubes sequentially. That way you can isolate which is the dodgy tube, and just swap that one if you wanna save some cash.

Two caveats:
    ~ This assumes that its a preamp tube that is futzed (it most often is, to be fair)
    ~ If one tube is faulty, its a fair bet that the others will become faulty soon enough so probably makes sense in the long run to change them all if you can.

18. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I thought modern AC30s had solid state rectifiers?

19. Tubes are in transit. Hard to tell if they arrive today or tomorrow. Hopefully in one piece.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice