Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Vox AC15 issue... :(

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by peterjcb, Mar 31, 2018.

1. peterjcb

peterjcb Gretschie

Nov 28, 2017
    USA
    so I have a fairly new Ac15 with a problem. When I turn it on it sounds fine but after it warms up a bit the sound gets fuzzy and starts breaking up almost like the speaker cone is torn but it's not because it sounds fine when it starts. Could this be a tube issue?
    I'm pretty sure it's covered under warranty but has anyone had experience with this.
    It's really not playable after it warms up and the top of the unit gets really hot.

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Could be tubes, or it could be a component that is going flaky when it heats up. If it’s under warranty, I’d start there.

3. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    It really could be anything.

I once had an issue that behaved a lot like you described with my old Peavey. Turns out that warming up had nothing to do with it - the problem was a breaking, corroded speaker terminal. A little solder and it was back to life.

I'd get it to a tech before it gets worse.

4. peterjcb

peterjcb Gretschie

Nov 28, 2017
    USA
    ...I bought a Peavy VK112 50 watt on Reverb pretty cheap and seller said it was in excellent condition....which it was but when I received the amp the #1 channel wasn't working :(
    He sent me some credit for repairs.
    I did a little research on YouTube and found that the problem with these amps, and a lot of other amps, is the that cold solder joint to the motherboard mounted input jack goes bad.
    I took it apart and sure enough saw a very inconspicuous crack in the solder joint that I easily just resoldered. It has been perfect ever since and is one of my favorite amps now... :)

gjohnson441496 and Willie D like this.
  5. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Mine was a late '70s VT Series Classic 50 2x12.
    Danged if that amp isn't still going strong! It was my first amp ever, now it's my son's main amp. I eventually swapped out the stock Peavey speakers for a pair of Celestion 70/80s, and popped in a new pair of 6L6GCs.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  6. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    As others have said, could be anything however I'd personally suspect a tube. Mind you, I always suspect tubes. If it's under warranty, have it addressed by the Dealer.

j.s.c and Willie D like this.
  7. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

My AC15 did exactly what you described when the valves were knackered.

Willie D and Robbie like this.
  8. peterjcb

peterjcb Gretschie

Nov 28, 2017
    USA
    Yup, I swapped my Peavy speaker for a Celestion Creamback 75watt....also have them in the AC15...great speakers...

9. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Under warranty says it all,, dont sweat it, let somebody else sweat it

TW4990 likes this.
  10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    If it were mine, I’d retube it and see what happens. OEM tubes are not always all that good and I consider the cost of retubing as a normal part of buying a manufactured amp. If that doesn’t address the problem, then is a cold joint or faulty cap, or . . . ?

Robbie likes this.
  11. peterjcb

peterjcb Gretschie

Nov 28, 2017
    USA
    I had problems with a brand new Bugera 55 watt combo amp....called customer service and I had a choice either to bring it somewhere for repair or they would send me new tubes.
    They were very responsive.
    I opted for the tubes, replaced them and haven't had any trouble since.
    They actually sent me extra tubes which I still have....I think they're 6L6 tubes or something like that so I do have some spares... :)

12. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Yeah could be anything. It sounds a bit like the problem on my Marshall DSL401 which were notoriously biased too hot. It would start out fine but it would get hot to the touch and the signal would start fading. The heat sink's thermal paste of the bridge rectifier was affected, which in turn overheated the solder connections of the diodes. Nothing to do with tubes.

13. peterjcb

peterjcb Gretschie

Nov 28, 2017
    USA
    ,,,well so much for these online sellers claiming a 1 year "warranty"....it's pretty much all BS.... :(

The sellers and manufacturers have all sort of loopholes....
    no way am I driving 1 1/2 hours away to bring my amp to a service center and only to find out that tubes aren't covered....if that's what the problem is.

I've learned my lesson buying stuff online and assuming there's a solid warranty that's actually useful.....buy locally where you can easily bring your stuff back.

14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Buying local doesnt necessarily help with warranties unless the shop is a warranty service center; in which case they would most likely do warranty work on any qualifying product, not just the ones they sold. The warranty is with box, not the retailer. Local mostly saves you the cost of shipping back a return.

Anyway good luck.

15. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Gretschie

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Good luck, I feel your pain. Shipping anything can result in cold solder joints cracking, tubes coming lose, or cracking a board. If you don't feel like driving I understand. I would try the obvious first, remove the tubes and plug them in again, look for dull solder joints, or wiggle the input jack the switches, and the knobs when it is warm and see if the tone changes. This may help locate teh issues. If that doesn't work, you may spend more than the 6 hours it will take to drop it off, drive back home, drive to pick it up, and drive home again trying to fix it. I have been there many times good luck.

16. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    When I bought my AC15, the guy at GC told me that the warranty didn't cover the amps if they were gigged. Go figure.

17. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    LOL, sorta buying a car, and saying the warranty doesn't cover if the it has been driven. Just starts and engine revving in a private parking space.

wabash slim likes this.
  18. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    That’s horse manure. These GC guys must be the very bottom of the barrel.

19. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That was my take on it. Salesman's verbal BS at it's finest.

20. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Reminds me of the time I was looking at a Subaru and Rhett salesman tried to tell me that the engine was from a Japanese Zero aircraft.