VOX ac10 video

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by TSims1, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Gretschie

Oct 22, 2015
    Sounds great. Thanks. Of course a great "A/B" test would be to see what happens if you play one of my guitars through one of my amps! I bet you can make it sound a lot better than I do. But one of the fun things about music is hearing my own improvement, which is incremental, but steady and satisfying. Right now I'm looking around for the best small amp to play a baritone guitar through so that it sounds good yet is not too loud. Have you ever tried baritone through the Vox AC 10? I've seen you check out a number of different guitars but I don't recall hearing you fool around with a baritone.

TSims1 likes this.
  2. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I have indeed not tried a baritone through this amp. I’ve also never owned a bari, though I’ve used one in the studio several times. Such a great sound!

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  3. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Also - let me reiterate my newly found disdain for the term “better”. There IS no better! There’s only what you like, and what you don’t like. Music is art and fun and unique and there IS no better! :)

That’s like asking “what kind of ice cream is better...?”. Why, the kind YOU LIKE of course!! :) :)

I play the guitar. So do the rest of us here. I am not one smidge better than anyone else here, I am simply the best me as YOU are the best you! Our uniqueness is what makes us who and what we are, and folks can like it or not. But “better”? No such thing.

4. dak55

dak55 Gretschie

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Thanks for that Tony. It's helpful to remember.

But damn man, that sounded good. And if you ever come across an unresponsive audience you can always fall back on the soundcheck. That'll bring em around.

TSims1 likes this.
  5. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Dang! Sure sounds sweet, Tony! There's a certain sound that one hears when a guitar is in the hands of someone who really plays with precision and talent and that is the tone I hear when you play, man.

I predict we're all gonna see your name in big lights some time soon.

TSims1 likes this.
  6. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Sounds great! The amp appears to be very dynamic and touch sensitive...it seems to clean up really nice when you back off.

TSims1 likes this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    tony sign.jpg

TSims1 likes this.
  8. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada

Well said Tony.

Personally dislike the whole "best" thing. I've told people in the past "stop trying to be the best guitar player, be the best person"

Henry and TSims1 like this.
  9. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I've tried several AC10's as a rehearsal amp and just never bonded with them due in large part to the lack of headroom. Perhaps it's time to try again.

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I feel the same way. I mostly play a but dirty, but I need a clean option. Not sure that trying again will result in more headroom this time, or have your needs changed?

Robbie and TSims1 like this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Yeah, its not a clean amp for sure. It's a "lets get some hair on that at a reasonable volume" amp. So is the ac15 for that matter.

That's kind of the Vox value though imo. An ac30 is a good sounding amp, but man its LOUD by the time you are getting that delicious breakup.........and if I'm buying an amp for CLEANS.......then it's not gonna be a Vox anyways. It's gonna be a Fender.

Robbie likes this.
  12. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Sounds great and great playing as always Tony. I played one in Chicago with a cheap squire strat. It was $150 New so it really was cheap and it sounded great. That amp has been on my radar ever since

13. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    You're absolutely right Henry. Every once in a while I like to look outside of what I typically play....it never lasts though. I do like the sound of an AC10, just never happy with it for me.

14. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    You're spot on IMHO. The only issue I have, and you make that AC10 sound fabulous by the way, is it as well as an AC15 don't sound like me...to me. As a result I'm not comfortable.

TSims1 likes this.
  15. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    That baby puts out a great sound and you not bad yourself. Thanks, I wanted to know what a Vox ac 10 sounded like.

TSims1 likes this.
  16. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Thanks! And yep, I totally get it. That’s why we are so blessed to be afforded the luxury of incredible choices in 2018!

My amps are also mic’d in a separate room and then blasted through the FOH system, so headroom really isn’t an issue whatsoever for what I do.

The tools must meet the needs! :)

Robbie likes this.