Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Volume issue 2655T Streamliner ??

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by GuitarSC, Jan 9, 2018.

1. GuitarSC

GuitarSC Newbie

Jan 9, 2018
    Lexington, SC
    I'm relatively new to electronic repairs and trying to help a local musician friend ,
    Here's the setup:
    Master volume all the way up
    Neck & Bridge volume all the way up ,
    3 way switch in the middle position ,

My question is : When you roll off the neck or bridge volume more then 1/2 turn , The guitar goes completely silent , I'm not sure if it's supposed to operate this way or if I may have a bad pot

What we hoped to have happen if possible: We would like to have the neck and bridge pickups be able to blend and also use the master volume as intended without either volume control killing the whole guitar , Maybe this is what is supposed to happen and something has failed. Thanks for any help !

2. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Electromatic

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    My 2622 does this at the end of the roll off for either vol pots. It’s normal, I believe. The individual volumes allow you to blend the sounds.

3. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It may be normal in the sense that it is a design flaw. Same issue on my 5622v1. You should be able to turn a pickup down without affecting the other. I am not a wiring pro but there shoukd be schematics available. Check the TV Jones website.

4. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, GuitarSC!
    Welcome mat 45.jpg

5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT GuitarSC!

6. TW4990

TW4990 Gretschie

Aug 20, 2016
    Sydney Australia
    I am curious with this one too.
    My 2655 does the same, it always seemed strange to me, but I accepted it as normal.
    We need one of the more electronically minded to explain this weird phenomena.
    HELP!!!!

7. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Same thing with my 5129. It's wired that way.

8. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It is wired that way . . . and it should not have been. Hence a design defect rather than a manufacturing defect.

Go here to find an appropriate setup:
    https://www.tvjones.com/wiring-schematics.html

This is one of the options, and may apply.

[​IMG]

Floo likes this.
  9. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

I have the same guitar/same issue from new.
    I believe it is normal, and has a lot to do with the price/quality of the electronics (dare I say 'cheap')
    I still wouldn't give my guitar back. I LOVE it!

Oh yeah.... I found this once which may mean something to people who know about wires, switches and stuff.
    I simply don't have the capacitor to understand it, but it sure looks pretty.
    (You need to scroll down to the last 2 pages.)

http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/Gretsch G2655 & G2655T Streamliner 2800500XXX Service Manual REV A 2-4-2016.pdf

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    BorderRadio and russmack like this.
  10. mbonness

mbonness Newbie

Dec 18, 2017
    Washington, DC
    I can confirm the same in my 2655t, and I noticed the same thing in each of three other units I handled in stores. I don't know enough to say whether it's a true design defect or simply a function of cheap components. I was willing to accept this flaw, given the price.

11. wvincagold

wvincagold Electromatic

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    I can confirm mine G2655T does the same thing. Its my only complaint. I just attribute to cheeper pots. It really has not affected my play, so i will play it until they go dead and then install an upgrade pot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

12. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Henry is right in this - it is a design flaw, nothing more and nothing less. I don't have access to my collection of schematics from work, but do a search for "'50s wiring" or "volume pot wiring", there should be plenty of info available on the web that explains why pots work the way they do.

13. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, mbonness!
    welcome mat 21.jpg

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Welcome!

Sounds and looks like the pickup volume pots are not wired independently. Not a wiring guru but I do know you'd have to move the 'hot' pickup lead from the outer lug to the center lug of its respective volume pot. In turn you'd need to move the switch lead to the outer lug.

After this adjustment the wiring still won't be TVJ/Gretsch spec, though. The tone pots are wired differently, but not enough to matter. I wouldn't bother changing the tone pot wiring, just flip the leads on the pickup volume pots and go.