Volante Owners past and present

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Just curious why you still have it or you didn't keep it. I am drawn to it a bit but had my eye on a TimeLine at some point but this one just sounds better every time I hear a new demo. So what do you like, dislike or just hate about it?

2. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    It’s great, but great depending upon your needs. I sold mine because it didn’t have the boost/ cut function that I’d grown to depend on in the El Capistan. For me this is an important function which makes the repeats feel more dynamic and alive. I also didn’t love the sonic range provided by the record level function. Again though, this is only for my own applications. That said, I would certainly consider buying another in the future (especially if these details were addressed in a firmware update).
    If you are concerned about how it compares to the El Capistan, in my opinion, I found that it did not replace the El Cap. It covers similar ground in many respects, but definitely has its own thing going on. For one user it may far surpass the El Capistan and vice versa for another. Some Volante owners have commented that they miss the crinkle mode found on the El Capistan and I get that but the mechanics function on the Volante is wonderful and has a great range at the various speed settings. I do regret not getting to know the looper / sound on sound mode on the Volante a little bit better. It seems to be a lot better than the what is available on the El Capistan.

Bertotti and blueruins like this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I haven't had anything but my carbon copy and the Mystery Brain. The timeline really gets me but after listening to a lot more on the net it does seem a bit too pristine not that I don't like that but it seems it is always that way. The Volante doesn't have as many different things as the timeline but it has the things I like in the timeline plus some. It doesn't have your boost cut but not having used one with that I may not miss it. It also doesn't have a double delay which I really liked but I do still have my carbon copy and I could run it into the Volante should I go that route. But it doesn't have some of the other things I liked like the ice setting. But it also sounds more real or should I say less perfect, pristine whatever the word is which is a plus. But as with the Timeline, I don't really want pristine all the time but I also do want it sometimes and I don't know that the Volante can do pristine.

That sound on sound seems like it could be a blast!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Srellim1 likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I know I read of two people selling it after a week or so because they missed the El Cap. But I do wonder how much time they spent getting to know it and passing the learning curve. It might not have been their thing or maybe like it was a few things Stellim1 pointed out that they missed right away.

Surely comparing a pedal for a week that does that much, to a pedal you’ve likely had for a long time may not be on the same level. As with the older one you’ve likely figured out the best settings that work for your style. But that’s just my thoughts on it. Haven’t played one yet.

ruger9 likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I remember @TV the Wired Turtle was selling his, did you sell your's Tavo? but I think it was simply because it didn't fit into his performing as easily as the El Cap. I could see that but I'm an at home person, seriously just not good enough to play out, yet, so for me, that wouldn't be an issue because I can sit and twiddle and not worry about getting to the right sound right now. I think if you want to gig this you almost have to be set up with a midi rig, then you could program in and get to saved patches quickly. I think I saw it could save something like 300 patches. I wonder how it would handle a mono Carbon copy input, output it with its delay throw on top of it but in stereo? That might be a lot of fun, or complete garbage.

ruger9 likes this.
  6. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I'd love to try one out someday, but yes- it would be strictly for home use/fun/endless echo tweaking, I wouldn't use it for gigs, it's too complicated, too expensive, and no one will know (live) if you're using a Volante, Carbon Copy, or DD-6.

But I'd love to own one, at home, as my "real tape delay", since I'm never going to buy a REAL tape delay.

Merc and Bertotti like this.
  7. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I believe you can save eight settings which would likely help live. But yes, I imagine if you’re in a full band setting and it’s not slow long delays it would likely get lost in the mix.

8. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Well, I was thinking more along the lines of, the subtleties (of the Volante) would never be heard in the mix... wouldn't matter if you had a Volante, DMM, El Cap, Carbon Copy...

And unless you're playing Pink Floyd or shoegaze, you don't really need a delay with modulation either, because- it'll get lost in the mix.

9. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I would have been pleased to be a Volante owner...

[​IMG]

OK, I go... :rolleyes::D

A+!

Merc and Bertotti like this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Shoegaze? Is that when I play so bad everyone feels so bad they stare at their feet?

ruger9 and dak55 like this.
  11. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Its an ambient machine of organic license. I'm not as simple as meat and potatoes, I need variety but I dont need vichyssoise and rarebit. :) I'd say it be more fun to keep an el capistan and decco side by side... although I'm using a DIG now :)

Bertotti and Gretschtim1 like this.
  12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Perhaps there is some misunderstanding of those dishes, or the names make them sound more fussy than they are Vichyssoise is a simple peasant dish of 5 ingredients, potato, broth, cream, leeks and onions - all ingredient available on a family farm. I like adding garlic and an heb like dill. Very good and simple and inexpensive to make. Leftovers can be refrigerate and served chilled. A great summer lunch meal with . . .

rarebits, which is basically l cheese on toast. Of course bread is, to me, very complicated. ;) I love cooking but I am scared of baking.

Ricochet, Bertotti and MotorCentaur like this.
  13. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    That's what I use live a Deco for slap & phase & the El Capistan for longer delays - it works nice that way. Although I think I could use a DIG or Volante for some cool special effects. In the studio I mostly use tape echo, an old 80s Ibanez digital delay & an Eventide Eclipse - pretty set for the studio work.

14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Personally, I like ratatouille, but in the end, I just love food.

Well, I had a small book written for a post but in the end, deleted it. I did order the Volante. It is for home studio use so I have time to tweak and learn. I am interested in learning how adding midi would open up some of the preset features. I have never used any midi in a rig. Since it is at home I think If I had a midi interface I could connect the BigSky and Volante up to it to logic and use something like Qnexus to send midi signals to it. Sorry thinking out loud here.

Just saw the Volante has midi in/out and USB. I can forego a midi interface for the time being!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Merc, blueruins and Srellim1 like this.
  15. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Congrats! That pedal looks like a ton of fun.

Bertotti likes this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have always had a hard time selling things, I tended to get attached. Age and the realization it can be used by someone who will appreciate it and cash for me to play with has given me a new desire to thin my things.

blueruins likes this.
  17. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Let us share in your NPD when it arrives. :)

blueruins and Bertotti like this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Apparently, these are hot now because it is back ordered with a possible delivery to the dealer next week. In the end between the Timeline and Volante, I figured either was a good choice. I like them both.

19. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Haven't even gotten it yet and emailed my rep to cancel it. Just don't see the need over my carbon copy, no it doesn't do tape but with the BigSky it gives me enough variety to keep me happy for the time being throw in the analog chorus, nailhead and echo on the MB and I don't want for more. But I have decided to chase a violin. Been wanting one to learn on for a very long time and keep talking myself out of it but realized that Mando is my preferred plucked instrument and it is tuned like a violin so perhaps it won't be as hard to learn as I feared all along. Sorry, for the switch up but adding another delay just wasn't sitting right in my gut. I also go with my gut. When I don't I always regret it. Might be a good new thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice