Voc AC15CC1

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Mark W, Nov 19, 2008.

1. LeeIsLegend

LeeIsLegend Electromatic

Nov 28, 2008
    san antonio
    I love my ac-30cc2 and its never let me down i use it quite a bit too. Everyone should have at least one ac-30, the bluebacks are a must don't settle for anything less.

2. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Senility strikes at the strangest times...Or it could be Mad Cow!

3. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Ultimate choice : Marshall/Vox ?

Prehaps, Selmer Treble & Bass may be your solution. There are 2 channels (you can bridge both) which are Treble (Vox like), Bass (JTM45 clone)... For less than 400£. Famous 60' amp you can find one in UK (not very easy... but it worth it).

I just check, and find one which is a bit strange cause this mkIII panel is reverted to the bottom (and should be on the top of the head... just cosmetic issue).
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-VINTAGE-SELMER-TREBLE-N-BASS-MARK-III-VALVE-AMP_W0QQitemZ200285595129QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item200285595129&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  4. stole_life

stole_life Synchromatic

I have an AC30H2L (just got here Tuesday). Today is the first day I could actually play it. I haven't said much about it because I'm in the process of moving. I've been playing it for the last hour, and I'm still only on the first input on the first channel. Lots of sounds. I'm using the Annie first, then I'll move to the Club and the the Dan Armstrong Plexi. I can't way to crank it and play "Can't You Hear Me Knockin." I've also only been at living room volume. I'll keep playing and report back periodically. And, yes, Jukey, I'll take a photo. :)

5. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    AC30H2L is very nice but costs more than an eye.

6. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Thank you S_L ! Your learning!!

7. stole_life

stole_life Synchromatic

Brand new limited edition with the mahogany cabinet $1600. I don't think that's all that bad. It's list is way up there, but the street price isn't too much. Granted, it's still more than a lot of amps, but it's super nice. My Annie is loving it. Still jamming on the first input first channel. I like it with the bass shift on. It sounds like what I imagine the true sound is, like the way it sounds unplugged but with a volume control. Very natural, very clear. I've also turned it all the way up. More later.

8. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Those Selmer's are cool, but a Selmer MkII Treble and Bass will not cop an authentic Vox sound or even it's feel.

The Vox has a few distinct things that make it "Voxy."

The Selmer uses EL34's like a 50w Marshall, has no Cut control, and has a traditional PI cathode resistor value (820ohms) in addition to a negative feedback circuit. Lastly it has a fixed bias.

The Vox gets a lot of it's mojo from that ridiculous 1200ohm PI cathode resistor, no negative feedback, EL84's (instead of EL34's), and the Cut control which works at the PI level. Finally the Vox is cathode biased.

Also, the preamp cathode values are not Vox at all in the Selmer. What is funny is the Selmer's "Bass" channel isn't different at all than it's "Treble" channel except it does NOT have a cathode bypass on the Bass channel's preamp's 2nd triode. This results in less gain and less of a treble response in that channel.

The Vox's PI circuit, cathode bias, lack of negative feedback, and other stuff makes it have a dynamic and response/feel that the Selmer just doesn't have (and the Vox is a slight departure from traditional Fender/Marshall circuits, whereas the Selmer is very Fender/Marshall in design).

In any case, those Selmer amps are cool in their own right. Extremely simple preamps feeding a big fixed bias Marshall-style power section. That has some bigtime plexi mojo to it, but a stripped down preamp section.

9. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    JohnnyCrash, you're THE MAN. Tx for that !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice