Vintage Gretsch knobs

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by stiv, Apr 4, 2019.

1. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Hello,
    A simple, maybe stupid question: are vintage Gretsch (let's say around '67) knobs nickel or chrome finish?
    I'd like to start a restoration project, and I realized I don't know the basics... :)

j_double_u likes this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    My 60s knobs are chrome. I don’t think nickel was ever a finish option, just part of the plating process, generally speaking.

stiv likes this.
  3. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Thanks mate. I’ve seen some original Gretsch knobs listed as “nickel” so I though it was better to ask before to buy the wrong set, as they’re not on the cheap side.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oh yeah, modern Gretsch offers the choice. Nickel is the look for worn hardware, as it appears after the gold plate wears off. I prefer nickel in most cases, some chrome is too blue and new looking. Not the case with modern Gretsch chrome though, but still cooler than nickel plate.

stiv likes this.
  5. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Got it.
    So I think I’ll go with some vintage worn chrome.
    Thanks!

BorderRadio likes this.
  6. afire

afire Country Gent

BorderRadio has it right. I think sometimes sellers just get it wrong. If they're actually vintage, then they're chrome. Unless they were gold and all the gold has worn off. Then I guess they would be nickel. But originally, only gold and chrome were used.

stiv likes this.
  7. j_double_u

j_double_u Electromatic

A few days ago I was wondering... I can't remember seeing a VINTAGE color picture of, let's say a new 1958 till 1964 6120 with gold knobs and pickups... So I too did wonder if those guitar came equipped with nickel hardware. Does anyone have some vintage pics to share?

stiv likes this.
  8. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Well, I guess they should be collectors’ guitars, not something that’s been normally played on a stage or traveled on a tour.
    My ‘89 Nashville, which is just 30 years old, already has the worn up / nickel surfacing marks on the gold parts.

9. j_double_u

j_double_u Electromatic

Well, (vintage) color pics of pre-1958 6120s with the gold are much easier to find.

10. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Agreed... sellers often misrepresent this stuff. It's particularly glaring when sellers insist that their Bigsby vibratos are nickel. It's pretty common knowledge that Bigsby units were and are made of aluminum, and their outer finish is simply polished aluminum.

11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    ..and the quality of the chrome back then was outstanding.

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I've owned two '50s Gretsch's and one '60s and they all had chrome knobs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice