VERY new to Gretsch guitars...

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by stevekolt, Dec 8, 2019.

1. stevekolt

stevekolt Electromatic

Dec 1, 2019
    West by God Virginia
    My first should be getting delivered on Monday. A G5622T in vintage orange. Now that the new Electromatics are built in China, what are the main differences between the Streamliner and Electromatic series?

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I'm sure someone can answer the question better then me . Just want to congratulate you on the new guitar ...pics when it arrives please:)

3. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Electromatic

Jun 5, 2019
    East Lancashire, UK
    Pickups, aesthetic & tuners!

Streamliners (bar the ones with the P90s) have a 'Broadtron' which is essentially a Gretsch Humbucker (although there is one double cut electromatic I'm aware of now with a humbucker) where as the electromatics tend to have more of 'that great Gretsch sound' with a blacktop Filtertron or a super hilotron.

The F holes on the Streamliners are also smaller than the Electromatics & the hardware like vol/tone knob covers are made of plastic where as it's metallic on the Electros.

The other big difference for me is the tuners; on the Streamliner they're pretty cruddy, the Electros have traditional open back tuners.

section2 likes this.
  4. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    A couple of other notes:
    • The frets on my 2016 Streamliner were narrower than on my 2014 Electromatic. (I sold the Streamliner, so I can't double-check.) Not sure whether they've changed the frets on newer Streamliners.
    • The F-holes on Streamliners are unbound.
    • The 2655 uses mini-pots. Not sure whether the larger Streamliners have full-sized pots.
    • The build quality on my Electromatic is better overall. The Streamliner had some flaws in the binding and just felt generally like a lower-end guitar than the Electro. Still a very nice guitar, but the Electro was a noticeable step up.
    I believe the Streamliners are made in Indonesia. Are they moving production on all of the Electromatics to China, or just the 56xx series? (And then there are the Electromatic Jets, which have always been made in China.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice