Upgrading to a 920d Setzer harness

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by unknown fan, Sep 7, 2019.

1. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    I will be using the TV Jones install kit and just curious if there is anything else I need to be aware of such as will the current stock knobs fit, etc. Anything that anyone can tell me is appreciated. This is the first time Ive ever untaken a project like this and while it looks easy, I might be missing something that might be obvious to the more versed. Thanks!

NWBriggs likes this.
  2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    be sure the holes for the pots currently in the guitar match the more modern pots n switches and jacks bushing size. ie required outer threaded mounting diameter. example: CTS pots require a 3/8" hole diameter, etc. You will want to use a reamer to open the holes up so as to not cause laminate splintering/paint chipping, or a reverse rake drill bit or cylinder rasp. Or even less coarse rotary rasp bits (these are too aggressive but posted for example)
    [​IMG]

unknown fan and Merc like this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yikes Tavo, those are real finish manglers up there ^^^ :)

I use the proper-sized twist drill bit in reverse or better yet, a step drill bit to open up the holes, as reamers need lots of clearance to fit. Put masking tape over the holes before you start, this will help keep the finish from cracking.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    new6659, unknown fan and Merc like this.
  4. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    I don't know what install kit 920d refers to. Can't find it on the TV Jones web site. What guitar are you working on? Did you order a TV Jones harness? If so did you order pots with split or solid shaft. As previously mentioned the pot holes on Korean made guitars will likely be too small for CTS solid shaft pots. Likely the knobs for Korean and some pre Fender Japan guitars will be too small. The knobs on my pre Fender 6120N were too small. I used my drill press to open the holes to accommodate the larger shaft size. Take your time and have fun. There is a TV Jones instruction video on YouTube you should watch.

unknown fan likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Probably something offered by Sigler. Seems just the TVJ kit that was ordered.

https://www.siglermusiconline.com/c...-gretsch-electromatic-harness-w-quick-connect

unknown fan and GreTschocaster like this.
  6. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    https://920dcustom.com/collections/...-gretsch-electromatic-harness-w-quick-connect

This is the assembly I ordered directly from 920d Custom. Sigler sells those as well. Thanks for the info - The guitar is the current iteration of the 5420T.

7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    In my experience of replacing the wiring in my 5420, a reamer worked just fine for enlarging the holes for the pots, but I needed a drill to enlarge the switch-hole (the reamer bottomed out before I could get it to the correct diameter.

I got my wiring harness from TVJ, and I ordered their split shaft pots in order to use my existing knobs (their solid shaft pots are too wide). They put little metal wedges in the splits so there’s no worry of breaking them when tightening the knob screws.

unknown fan likes this.
  8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I did caveat mention bits that arent meant to reshape the hull of a battleship. :)

unknown fan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice