UK prices increased today?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by KelvinS1965, Jan 11, 2019.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Hi, new member here...

I've been researching Electromatics for a while now and finally got to play one last week. They didn't have the colour I wanted in stock, so I've spent this week looking around online and debating exactly what to order. Got back from a work trip tonight and noticed that the various ones I'd bookmarked have gone up from around £700 (G5422/G5622T models) to closer to £850 mark.

I had made my mind up to order a black G5622T but while I was looking on Anderton's site it froze and when I got back on a few minutes later the £709 one had increased to £849. :eek:Various other sites seem to have done the same thing (I had a number of options bookmarked, in other colours and G5422T too). In the end I found one place showing stock (as opposed to 'pre-order') with the pre-increase price, so I've done the deed. I'm just hoping that it comes through OK and doesn't get cancelled once they realise everyone else has put their prices up.

If anyone else is on the fence for a new Electromatic in the UK, this is the place I've ordered mine from, still showing as £715 at the time of this post:
    https://www.projectmusic.net/gretsc...MIy73E9LDm3wIVhIeyCh1XqQ4yEAYYBCABEgJSRPD_BwE

They have the Orange version for £680 as well (nearly bought that, but I was fixated on getting a black one):

https://www.projectmusic.net/gretsc...llow-body-double-cut-orange-stain-18372-p.asp

NOTE: I have no connection with this shop and I've never ordered from them before (I did some research tonight before placing the order, nothing negative came up), so order at your own risk. I'll up date this thread once mine arrives safe and sound (or otherwise).

2. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Get 'em while you can. They're not going to get cheaper any time soon.

3. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    Thanks for that. Though I'm based on the continent I'm sure your tip could be useful to other UK residents.
    You never know -- I refuse to believe that the British people will allow such self-harm to be pursued. It's darkest before dawn.
    In this morning's Times: "Crispin Odey, a hedge fund manager who has given more than £870,000 to pro-Leave groups, revealed yesterday that he was betting on the pound to strengthen after Brexit failed."

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  4. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    It’s the reality now im afraid.

They are going to go in one direction regards prices.

It makes my laugh I’ve Paid less that than for prolines but those days are obviously getting shortened

Henry and Stencil like this.
  5. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    This is a particularly divisive political issue and politics is a banned subject here.

6. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Indeed. There's no quicker way to get a thread locked down here.
    I've ordered online from Project Music before, and would happily do so again. Small independent shop with good prices and service in my experience.

Stencil and KelvinS1965 like this.
  7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Good to hear ( I wasn't sure if I'd get in trouble for linking to a shop, but I guess it's OK). My order is currently showing 'processing' almost as soon as they opened today, so fingers crossed.

I did consider getting a Broadkaster model, but that was a severe case of budget creep. :) Plus I struggle to get used to a new guitar and the G5622T seemed to really suit my hands/fingers as I don't like tall frets: I just felt at home playing it.

Stencil likes this.
  8. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    Whoops, sorry Kelvin...
    It's nice to find a good deal on the net, and even nicer to share it.
    Cheers

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  9. alan s

alan s Electromatic

Oct 4, 2016
    LINCOLNSHIRE UK
    Thanks Kelvin

I've had my eye on the websites recently,was thinking about a G5420 Fairlane and have noticed a general increase in prices,cheapest I saw it recently was £668 (still is according the Steve James website),but now they seem to be about £750 at some places and £850 for the candy apple red one.
    Would have liked a G6609 Broadkaster in Bourbon but not this time around,maybe someday ;);)

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Yes I was looking on Steven James website; I have family up near there and I've been to the shop for a browse last year.

11. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
  12. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Oh wow, glad I ordered it last night then. The orange version is still in stock at £680 though.

13. alan s

alan s Electromatic

Oct 4, 2016
    LINCOLNSHIRE UK
  14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I saw some sites with G5622T for over £1000, the gold trim version that was though.

I've just seen that Thomann still show stock of the Black G5622T for 811Euros, which converts to £732 according to them. I've bought some AV stuff from them over the years, so no worries about them being based in Germany:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gretsch_g5622t_cb_electromatic_black.htm

15. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
  16. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
  17. alan s

alan s Electromatic

Oct 4, 2016
    LINCOLNSHIRE UK
  18. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
  19. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Not my intention. I'm on a warning for that kind of thing, so careful not to reference it.
    That said, fact is, they are going to get more expensive soon, and possibly for a while, harder to get hold of - US guitar prices in the UK have risen significantly over the last three years with the exchange rate.

kt66 likes this.
  20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    That was the thought behind why I decided to get one now. I've been caught before with price increases*, so had been looking for a while over Christmas and watching lots of videos and reading on here to try to understand the different models. As a first time Gretsch buyer it does seem a bit confusing with the different hollowbody/centreblock/chambered models and the different Streamline/Electromatic/Professional ranges too.

I'm glad I had the time to research first and that I managed to try a G5622T, despite thinking I would buy a G5422T but I couldn't try one that day. I didn't want to risk ordering 'blind' though, as I've done that before and regretted it.

*In 2016 I had my eye on a new range of Fender amps and they made a 7 watt head which I could have pre-ordered for £201 from Andertons. We went away on holiday and by the time we got back, they were in stock...for about £260. Not longer after this in the summer of 2016 the exchange rate changed, etc and it seemed an excuse to put prices even further up, so that same head ended up around £340. :eek: I didn't buy one...