Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Ubangi Stomp Drive sale

Discussion in 'Commercial Sellers, Dealers and Manufacturers' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Still up on the website and less than I paid, jump on it!

2. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia

nickurso likes this.
  3. JHall55

JHall55 Country Gent

Dec 18, 2012
    Ontario
    @audept ...pretty sure he was referring to the Mystery Brain, but I could be wrong.

4. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    No, I think you are correct and it's me that got it wrong.....again.:(

5. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Gretschie

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    My Ubangi shipped on April 8th and I expect delivery on April 10, so I guess there was at least one left!

Bertotti and gtttrrr like this.
  6. jagROAR_63

jagROAR_63 Gretschie

Apr 20, 2016
    Germany
    Mine is sitting in CT, waiting for me pick it up on vacation in May :cool:

TV the Wired Turtle and Bertotti like this.
  7. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    It's alive!

[​IMG]

I got it yesterday.

I haven't had a chance to play it at proper loud volume and won't until this weekend but so far I'm digging it! It definitely sounds killer with the volume up and the Gain down like the pedal was built to do.

With the setting above I'm getting a pretty driven, yet articulate, and organic chimey grind that works great with my Falcon with Setzers. It is a great sound and makes me want to use that type of more driven tone all the time, which is significantly more Gain-ey than the typical base tone that I use, which is typically on the edge of break-up into very mild hair territory! I still need to try it with other guitars.

The other cool thing is, when I run the Ubangi using that "filtertron Gretsch" setting into my Greer Lightspeed, I get a very nice driven Plexi type of tone that may just sound better than the other Plexi in a Box type pedals that I have, to my ears anyway. I need to confirm this as fact or not while playing at greater volume though!

But thus far things are looking very promising for me and the Ubangi, and I may be rethinking my gain pedal set up. I may just go Ubangi and Greer Lightspeed for my fundamental gain, and maybe the Greer tomahawk for the more tweed drive tones, getting rid of a "marshall in a box pedal" in the process.

The other cool thing is that it seems to work great with my Musket Fuzz (muff style fuzz). Haven't tried it yet with my Catalinbread Fuzzrite.

Oh dear this has turned into sort of a review.

Bertotti and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    thats fine! :) Glad its workin nice for you and I'd love to see the plexi pedal comparison video. I feel it does that myself especially w a brain preamp after it but I dont want to create hyperbole if its really not spot on comparable in of itself.

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Missionary and Pagan settings inside discussed here. Missionary or Pagan

10. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    It is working very well! I understand about not wanting to create hyperbole. Currently for my "hot rod plexi" tone I was using either a Barber Compact Direct Drive, or a Greer Little Samson. They are both great pedals and can do a good job of getting that type of tone. I also have an Alexander Silver Jubilee and Friedman BE-OD pedal for more hot rod Marshall tones.

I played the Ubangi in it's low gain setting running through the Lightspeed at volume quite a bit this weekend, and without creating hyperbole myself, I get a more open, less boxy, less pedal type of hot rod plexi tone then when trying to get that tone from one of the aforementioned "marshall in a box" pedals, at least through my whole rig.
    Settings I'm using:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, I'm kicking my MIAB pedal off the board and just going
    Ubangi->Lightspeed->Tomahawk. The Tomahawk I also use in a low gain setting, and when I kick that thing on top of the Ubangi/Lightspeed, I get a slight upper mids bump and a tad more slice, for a more searing lead sound.

Now, ironically, the stuff I do now doesn't need much of a hot plexi sound...but it is sure nice to have a good available hot plexi sound, and somehow..I'm always chasing that tone, even if I don't use it much.

I'm mainly playing my tone clean to edge of break up through two 15watt tube amps used in tandem, and using mainly the Tomahawk for a bit more hair upper mids push, and now the Ubangi when I want more snarl - which is sounding so good I am wanting to use that snarlier tone a whole lot more!

I'll see if I can do a little demo video one of these days.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  11. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    yeah I need to check this out!

TV the Wired Turtle and Bertotti like this.
  12. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    cool. ya I'd like to hear what you just explained :)

13. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Okie Dokie I'll stop being lazy and I'll try to record a little demo this weekend :D

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I've got 4 Ubangis left in this batch, free shipping on them with code: RocknRollShakeUp

remember this young man? miss him around here

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I find it hard to believe you have any of this bach left! Guys this is a great pedal better jump while the jumpins good! I'm not a rat guy but this is so much better.

16. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Yeah I had a Rat reissue made in the 90's, but the Ubangi is way more open and natural sounding.

Diggin' the code! I almost wanna buy another one just so I can use it :cool:

that's a great demo of the pedal!
    I still have to play with the symmetrical clipping, I'm curious: in this demo did that chap have the asymmetrical clipping or symmetrical activated ?