Tweed cranked tones for home practice?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by BatmansGretsch, Dec 4, 2019.

1. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Electromatic

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    So where do I start...

I guess with Hello!

My main rig is an EVH 5150 50W. Dean Superstrat and ESP/LTD Les Paul. Both fitted with EMGs. Epiphone Flying V with passive Gibson humbuckers. I don't use a cab, I use Two Notes Torpedo Live and output through FRFR speakers.

Anyway as someone who plays a lot of metal with a lot of gear around that genre, I find myself very often playing other material, like rock, folk-rock, that isn't hard and heavy, and so I use the clean green chan on my high gain amp a lot for that. The cab IRs I use usually falls somewhere between Tweeds/Vox cabs and the Torpedo Live really captures the differences in cabs. So often without a pedal, just with the 5150s green channel and the color of tone from those IR cab types, get me close to softer rock tones. If I up the gain I get breakup somewhat early on the EVH (it’s not a high headroom amp) or I can also get that breakup from an overdrive or boost pedal in the chain. It isn't a cranked Tweed but it's pretty close. I am sure with a Tweed specific overdrive I could sound pretty much like it.

I have a load of pedals for metal, but I also have some for cleans, including stuff for spring plate reverb and harmonic tremolo, for example.

So in this sort of setup, I can get tones for rock and softer material… but my setup wasn’t really designed around that concept. For one, my guitars aren’t either, so I felt I had to consider a different type of guitar first with different pickups on the opposite side to EMGs and the Gibson humbuckers as these were possibly my most limiting factor for the moment.

After looking around at guitars I decided to go with a Gretch Streamliner. Bigsby B70 instead of Floyd Rose, semi-hollow body instead of solid body, Tron pickups instead of what I have been using seemed like the right way to go. For the Streamliner prices, that sold me on this guitar in gunmetal.

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear...reamliner-center-block-with-bigsby/2806100568

So yeah, just changing this guitar with these pickups into the same above setup produces quite a different tone. I am happy with the EVH 5150 III green channel with the Two Notes Torpedo Tweed cabs IRs and this guitar allowing me to play blues, jazz but especially rock like Neil Young with Crazy Horse, Dire Straits, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, U2 or anything that has those sorts of bells and chimes to the gain on full type tweed crunches.

Let's call that my home studio setup. So that's done.

I also have a 15W Marshall DSL head, Orange Tiny Terror 15W, and a 10W Vox Pathfinder. I can also use the green channel on the Marshall but that Orange amp doesn’t really have a dedicated clean channel per se. It is just one knob that goes from no gain to high gain. So the TT isn't really described as an amp geared towards clean tones. I got it for that Orange distortion after all. I also like to use a smaller setup for metal with these lunchbox type amps, which are easy to carry around. So the closest I can get to the sort of cabs sounds I am using for cleaner material is either the Marshall 15W clean or the Vox Pathfinder 10.

The Marshall is a bit big for what I need here so I have been using the Pathfinder, which sort of does the job. While it is in the ballpark of the tones I am looking for, it also isn’t. Also what I am noticing is that some people think the Pathfinders tone is quite different from my tubes. Like they are noticing a bigger difference than usual. So I get that it’s a cheaper combo and isn’t going to produce the tone I should be aiming for even with a small home low wattage combo. I don't want to knock the Pathfinder 10. It can sound pretty good with the Gretsch, just not what I am looking for. So a small tube combo seems like the way to go.

The 5e3 is where it is at for me… but the snag here is that this is also a top-shelf Fender combo. At that price I could get a Kemper. The other snag is the tone comes from louder volumes. I just don’t want to play that loud with a home combo. I listened to a shoot out between a Vox AC15 and a Fender blues Jr. The Fender was the closer to the 57 Deluxe tone but still far away. So the more I read the more some people are just saying 57 Deluxe means a 57 Deluxe and a similar type amp won’t quite do it either.

So what has been suggested to me is that I get an overdrive voiced for that tweed sound. I have a few overdrives I think I can tweak to get there. So I can do that. I already have a spring/plate reverb. I am not sure if my Boss DD3 will be enough to find settings anything like a Belle Epoch Deluxe, but even if I had the right pedals, there is still the combo problem. People who use pedals to get this 5e3 tone usually have a combo that is stunning to begin with. Like a hardwired Suhr or Bad Cat or Friedman. So in a way the pedal setup seems it would just go best with my EVH or possibly the Marshall’s green channel out of the options I have without getting a new combo. However that’s not the easy portable combo plan I have.

I am thinking if getting a combo is a good idea at all since I have the Two Notes, getting a head and cab might be the better idea so I can also use the head in the Two Notes.

So I am thinking what would be a good option that would meet the 5e3 crunch tones for home practice like this? Something I can carry around rather than lug and spend awhile setting up. Which even seems to rule out using pedals.

Any suggestions are welcome. I don't absolutely need the 5e3 just as close as I can get to it for practice without breaking the bank.

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Either build a Tweed Princeton, or get a Wampler Tweed 57 pedal and play it through a clean 6v6 amp.

MKunie likes this.
  3. BatmansGretsch

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    Like an Egnater Tweaker 15 Head? Any other 6v6 amp heads you might recommend?

I am also looking at the Falcon pedal.

Do Earthquaker devices make something exactly like this?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, BatmansGretsch !
    welcome gtrplayer.jpg

BatmansGretsch likes this.
  5. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    This is just for practicing, probably at home, right? Catalinbread used to make an amp-in-a-box pedal called the Formula 5 that was intended to respond like a Fender 5E3. I had one and it pretty much did its thing well through a reasonably clean small amp at home volumes. Doesn’t need to be a cranked high end combo. I even used an old Fender Champ 12 for a while.

Or you could look around for an old Silvertone 1482. They’re light and they pretty much max out in volume at about 5 and then just get “more grindier” as you crank them to 10. Not a perfect Tweed sound, but a usable one. No pedal needed. You can even jumper the channels. I sold my Formula 5 pedal after I bought a 1482.

6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  7. BatmansGretsch

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    I have just figured that the Falcon pedal is probably named after the Gretsch White Falcon.

8. BatmansGretsch

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    I am actually selling a 15W DSL at the moment but the head is a lot bigger than the stack you have there. :)

I also have an Orange PPC112.

So let's say I go for the 15W DSL and Orange PPC112. How do you think one of these tweed pedals with my Gretsch will sound through that? Should I replace the speaker?

NOTE: I bought a Crazy Tube Circuits 'Falcon'. It was the one most available where I am and happened to be a bit cheaper than the others also. So maybe this will do for the desired effect.

The Marshall DSL head will be fine through the clean channel with it I think. It is a 6V6.

It is just a question about the closed back Orange PPC112 with the CELESTION VINTAGE 30 SPEAKER.

Still, that's a bigger setup than maybe I envisioned.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Listen to some of the Joyo BanTamP vids and go to sound cloud and listen to some they have a respectable tone I have an Atomic which is a ac30 sounding hybrid they also do metal and fender and Mesa and etc but for 130$ I paid it is a fun little blue tooth hybrid. A year now no issues with it.

10. BatmansGretsch

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    I was just looking at a Joyo today, but it was the cab. It had a Jensen P12Q in it. I was thinking... that's the Tweed speaker. However, it was closed back and I was thinking I hope you can open it up.

http://www.joyoaudio.com/product/155.html

Maybe you know?

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Nope I don't know I only have the one little hybrid and for 130$ it was fun. I also have the Orange micro Dark of the two small hybrids the orange is by the one I would move first. But I don't know that any of them will give even a bit of your 5e3 desires. I was looking around a bit and you can get clean clean but everything else is non-Fender sounding in the Bantamp series.

12. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    depends if youre okay w the boxiness of tiny combos or not.

13. afire

afire Country Gent

14. DougCraft

DougCraft Gretschie

Apr 24, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    For home practice, I have had great luck with a Yamaha THR-10. It is a small modeling amp that has decent Fender and Vox models that you can customize to any guitar you play. This little amp sounds great and responds very well to picking nuance. Here's what mine looks like - they have a newer version now, but you might find one used on Reverb.
    [​IMG]

15. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I spent more on my best little home amp the Baby Blondshell but I know absolutely nothing about the 5e3 so it probably won't get you there either. It is my only Fender style majorly tweaked Tavo creation. Incredible little home amp if you want to spend the cash. Truth is if you want 5e3 you would be better served to buy a 5e3. I do remember someone here talking about a pedal that did a respectable 5e3 sound but I haven't found the thread that had it. Maybe whoever it was will see this and comment. @audept or @TSims1 or @TV the Wired Turtle might know which pedal it was?

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  16. BatmansGretsch

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    I bought a Crazy Tube Circuits 'Falcon'. It was the one most available where I am and happened to be a bit cheaper than the others also.

You are probably taking about a Formula 55 or Lovepedal Les Lius. The Falcon should be able to do it also.

And yes getting a 5e3 is the way... I just think at those prices I would call those a big-ticket amps even though the assembly options look more feasible. I have no problem spending bigger money on stuff... if I use them but I can't really crank a 5e3 where I am unless it goes into my Two Notes Torpedo Live, which means it has to be a head and not a combo (although I can use pre-amp line outs).

Bertotti likes this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I do believe you are right it was the Love Pedal! Well to bad that didn't help you any and I would go nuts living somewhere that close to other people!

18. BatmansGretsch

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    That's the thing. Neil Young bought a farm in the middle of bumf*ck nowhere because he owns he 5e3 he likes to crank. A craked 5e3 isn't like cranking other amps. For those, the cops just come. For a cranked 5e3 they send the FBI out. SWAT get released for a cranked Sunn.

new6659, wabash slim and Bertotti like this.
  19. BatmansGretsch

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    Hmmm... how about this... Roland JC-22. That's a solid-state combo, but will it take a tweed pedal well?

20. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    What if you hooked all three of these together?:eek: Screenshot_2019-12-06-06-28-04-1.png Screenshot_2019-12-06-06-27-55-1.png Screenshot_2019-12-06-06-27-20-1.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice