Tweed Amps

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by stegeorgy, Apr 21, 2009.

1. VictoriaDD59

VictoriaDD59 Gretschie

Feb 26, 2009
    Iowa
    Tweed sound is very hard to quantify because as Johnny pointed out there are many variations on "tweed tone". For the Gretsch guitars you mention, for playing rockabilly, I'd recommend one of 28 watt, 2 6L6 models (Bandmaster, Super or Pro) depending on what speaker configuration that you're after. I use my Victoria Bandmaster with my 6120DSW with great results, its loud and clean enough to play traditional country or rockabilly tones, and breaks up at a volume that is still not so overbearing on the ears that it renders your listener deaf.

I also own a 5E3 clone for small clubs and restaurant work, and a Victoria Double Deluxe as my other main workhorse amp.

2. getbent

getbent Super Moderator

Jun 1, 2008
    sunny california
  3. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs Electromatic

Feb 14, 2009
    south wales
    re Bobkat

Nice sound Bobkat,,,, nice ending:)

4. Zman

Zman Electromatic

Jul 17, 2008
    Southern Ontario
    I had a Blues Deluxe Reissue and I never bonded with it. I traded it recently on a Gibson Classic LP. I know this isn't tweed but for tone I would go for the 65 Deluxe reissue, or the tweed blues junior as suggested by dafreeze. The 22 watts, and 15 watts are more than enough for home use and both amps have great tone. I have only owned Marshall and Fender so I can't comment on the others. I had no real issues with the Deluxe other than it was a very clean tone and there was not a lot ol gain. It did have an effects loop that I did not use.

5. Falconer

Falconer Electromatic

Sep 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I've got the Fender Blues Deluxe and I love it.

6. WillyH

WillyH Electromatic

Apr 3, 2009
    minnesota
    Great amp Information!!! I have 58 Deluxe and its my Favorite..Also have Soldano Lucky 13 with KT66 tubes 2-12 cab..love clean channel..Want to get head to run with 2-12 close back VHT with Celestions..thinking about 5E3 clone head but like KT66..Are there any clone Heads that use KT66 that are not High gain Marshall Types?????

7. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Electromatic

Jan 24, 2009
    Snow Camp, NC
    Great thread!

I'd like to add that if you are considering a 5E3, you should give Jim @ Li'l Dawg Amps a shout.

My experience with him was one of the best customer service experiences I have ever had with music equipment. His pricing is very reasonalbe, he answered all of my questions promptly, sent me pictures of myamp during the build/test process, and the amp, (5E3 head,) sounds absolutely fantastic!!!

I haven't touched my Mesa Maverick since getting the Li'l Dawg 5E3.

Jeff

8. JBennett

JBennett Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've owned the same second hand Blues Deluxe since 1999 and it's worked like a charm in my small brooklyn apartments. (only one noise complaint in 10 years!) I think it sounds great at low volumes with and without the built in overdrive (which has grown on me.) anyway, it's a great amp since you can gig with it and you can still noodle around at home.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice