TVJ Starwood Tele pickups anyone?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by calebaaron666, Aug 10, 2019.

1. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I just ordered a set of TV Jones Telecaster pickups.
    They’re due to arrive early next week, and I plan to install immediately!
    Anyone here use these?

I’d love to hear some opinions.
    They sound incredible on the youtube vids I’ve seen.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've never used them as a complete set (or in a tele) but I've loved the bridge in my Reverend Six Gun paired up w/ a couple of Starwood strats in the neck & middle. The Starwood tele neck has sounded great in the middle position of the Astrocaster solo or blended up w/ a few different strat type pickups I've tried at the bridge & neck. They're pretty darn healthy output, have good dynamics, and sound like an awesome blend between tele & DeArmond to my ears.

I'm thinking I may wind up grabbing another set to replace the TK Smith at the bridge & SD Alnico 2 Pro at the neck when I finally make my way back to finishing the B16 thinline tele build that I've had stalled out for the past couple years.

BorderRadio and calebaaron666 like this.
  3. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Thanx!
    Yeah, I have a set of fender vintage noiseless pups in my tele now. They’re great pickups, but I want a neck pickups that’ll give me more definition when I’m in OD mode. The noiseless neck sounds awesome clean, but when I’m overdriven the chords can turn to mush.

4. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Looking forward to hearing your review of these. I'm very taken with the demo sounds of these, in particular the neck pickup, though I like the sound of both.
    I think there are at least 2 Gretsch-Talkers that have Starwoods in the neck position...I just can't recall who it is.

Outlaw and calebaaron666 like this.
  5. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    They sound great... makes me want to finally get a tele!

calebaaron666 likes this.
  6. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Everybody needs at least one.

Outlaw, RG7X and calebaaron666 like this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Sounds good and priced right

8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Screenshot_2019-08-11-06-00-39-1.png

Bertotti, calebaaron666 and RG7X like this.
  9. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I’ve thought about putting a set in my Tele. I’m really curious about how you’ll like them!

I have a set of CS Twisted Tele pickups that came with my guitar and I would like a tad more clarity and chime out of the bridge, and I would like more girth and mojo out of the neck. The bridge is maybe 5% or more too fat and dark, and the neck is not nearly fat enough and too Straty.

It sounds like the Starwood neck is exactly what I want, but I’m still not sure about the bridge having enough clarity and chime for my needs based on the reviews I’ve listened too, which are scarce and not particularly high quality! I think I hear that I would dig the bridge but sometimes I think it sounds too similar to my Twisted Tele bridge?

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Perfect Tele bridge pickup IMHO. Lots of output, twang, meat, kerrang and boom. The boom especially, as they are the only bridge pickup (that I tried) that could match my Dynasonic and P90 neck pickups. I own two bridge pickups. Also, the high resistance values are because of the wire gauge, they are on par with a 7/8k Tele bridge pickup with the traditional, non-Dyna wire.

11. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Good to know and powerful testimonial.

12. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    I put a set of TVJones Starwood pu's in a project tele a while ago. The pu's that were in it weren't stellar so not a completely fair comparison I guess, but the Starwoods made that guitar into a keeper. 100% what I was looking for from a tele.

13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    From my experience everything TVJ will do a stellar job. Hope that you will enjoy it.

14. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yessir, this will be my third guitar (first non-gretsch) with their pickups. I’m really excited to drop them in!

loudnlousy likes this.
  15. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    F2464C59-9445-4B83-8EC8-A2115D1F82AD.jpeg Oh MAN!
    These are good!

ffooky, BorderRadio, audept and 2 others like this.
  16. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Wicked Tele for sure!

So what do they do differently for you compared to what you had in there...what did you have in there before I forgot?

17. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I had a set of Fender Vintage Noiseless Tele pickups. They are AWESOME pickups. The give incredible vintage tele tone, and they look exactly like single coils, but are in fact humbucking pickups, so there is ZERO hum. I plan to use them in my next partscaster project.

I've wanted to try these TVJ tele pickups are as long as I've been aware of them. They are made with the same slugs that are in their T-Armond pickups. They are a hybrid of tele/dearmond sounds. There's tight low end, incredible definition, and great tele spank.

The neck pickup sounds a lot like a regular T-Armond to me so far, which is great for me because a neck DeArmond is one of my favorite tones to have. The bridge pickup will still do all the tele bridge pickup stuff you'd hope for, but with a little more weight. Still bright and spanky, but fatter. The two sound incredible together. I use the middle position on a tele a lot, and these are gonne do me just fine. Both balance well volume-wise when comparing them separately (once the height is dialed in of course).

I wish I'd had more time to play after the install today, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

RocknRollShakeUp and TSims1 like this.
  18. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Sounds great, thanks for taking the time to explain. I go back and forth regarding changing my Tele pickups and I keep hearing how great Cavalier pickups are, but I also have heard only great things about these Starwoods. It irks me because it drives home the point that I need a second Tele at least, one for more of a Bakersfield sound and a more girthsome one for de rock! It sounds like the Starwood’s may be a do it all set though.

19. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'm gettin hot to finish my Esquire project now! Maybe i should just sell some stuff to fund it, I'm jonesin bad:D
    Pickup,neck and tuners and I'm gone.

20. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    I have starwood neck pickup in my tele. I love it! Crystal clear but has that neck darkness. Great pickup!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice