TV Jones T-Armonds vs Blacktop Filtertrons

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by 53Rockets, Apr 17, 2019.

1. 53Rockets

53Rockets Electromatic

Oct 14, 2018
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Looking at buying a Gretsch big body that the owner upgraded to TV Jones T-Armond pickups. I have no frame of reference for the TV Jones', so if anybody could give me some adjectives to compare that would be great.

2. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    53Rockets likes this.
  3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    T-Armonds have much better single note clarity, being single coils. Filtertrons can be great with grind, but being low output often seem to need a pre-amp boost to get things cooking. TA's will give some 60 cycle hum but are usually RWRP to make them humbucking in the middle position, as opposed to the Blacktops, which are humbuckers from the start. Both are good, but the TAs are gooderer.

RomanS and 53Rockets like this.
  4. 53Rockets

53Rockets Electromatic

Oct 14, 2018
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Thanks for the link! Got so excited about a potential NGD i forgot to stop and do some research...everyone here is so good about answering and providing valid info sometimes i forget to do some 'leg' work.

5. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    I just picked up a '53 Vintage Select Duo Jet with T Armonds and it pretty much made the rest of my guitar collection irrelevant.
    Crisp clean and no caffeine!

Sabato, BorderRadio, Bertotti and 5 others like this.
  6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    No fair comparison can be made imo - its apples and oranges.
    You're comparing a top of the line single coil dynasonic pup to a mid range humbucker filterton.
    They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I don't want dynasonics in any Gretsch but many people love them so all good :)
    Totally depends on your own preferences and the types of music you play.

7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Description from the TVJ site:

“Our version of the original DeArmond 2000 pickups are more controlled in the high frequencies, taking away earth shattering ice-pickiness while keeping that "off-the-rails" attitude that these pickups are known for. Of course, at lower gain levels they sing with unmatched fidelity and clarity. Tom designed our T-Armond set after Brian Setzer's ‘56 Silver Jet that was used on his Dirty Boogie album. That guitar spent many hours on Tom's workbench over the years.”

“The T-Armonds are in a league of their own with crystal clear highs, bellowing lows, and a tastefully controlled midrange. They perform really well with and without a lot of gain. Some say they sound like tele pickups on steroids.”

I haven’t tried them myself, but I have a guitar with DeArmond 2000’s which the T Armonds are based on. I love them.
    Twang Twang Twang.

5120mantis likes this.
  8. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I dunno about the "tele on steroids". I had an American Special Tele that sounded like it had roid rage, and was pretty different from my T-Armond equipped Duo Jet. The TA has a "pretty" sound in comparison to the metalic clang of an A5 Tele pickup, but we're not really comparing like for like, what with the different scale lengths and the bridge plate etc. The TA's are more pokey tham regular Grestch Dynasonics, with a much higher output on the bridge, which makes them a lot more middy in comparison. More for "rocking out" than the Dynas, I guess. I tried a set of the DeArmond 2000s in my Jet and though I'd gone deaf; much lower output and no real grunt, in comparison. They're back in the bottom of the man drawer now.

Filters vs Dynas- the TAs are thicker and warmer than the Dynas in the vid. Blacktops are warmer than the Filters in the vid, but it does show the general idea.

53Rockets likes this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I love DeArmond Model 2000s. They are big bold single coils, sensitive to adjustment just like any Fender single coil, with much more tweakable sounds available since the poles are individually height adjustable.

I had a set of T-Armonds in my G5420, and it was a great thing. If you can get a deal on this guitar, I’d say go for it, because you can always sell those pickups and get into some Classics or other TVJ pickup if they don’t work out for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice