TV Jones Supertrons

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Dicey Reilly, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Dicey Reilly

Dicey Reilly Gretschie

Sep 17, 2012
    Scotland
    I'm intrigued by these - Can anyone tell me more about their sound? The TV Jones website isn't especially descriptive. Also, do they offer vintage style covers as an option (without TV Jones written on them, preferably with a patent)?

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    They are great pickups, my faves. Hotter than the TV Classics but still plenty Gretschy. They are not exact physical replicas of the original SuperTrons however as you point out. You can ask Tom if he will change the covers. I doubt he would take his name off them though.

3. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    They wear a cape and can fly and have heat/x-ray vision.

4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    fender62custom is a big Supertron fan. He has them in a 6128TCG Jet. C'mon Victor, tell Dicey how good they are!

5. JimmyB1982

JimmyB1982 Country Gent

Jul 5, 2012
    Saugus, CA
    I tried the one that comes in the neck position of the 6122-1959 CG, and LOVED it!! It's probably the reason I'm gassing for that guitar! :D definitely puts out, and sounds so warm and hot all at the same time! I'm thinking about putting a pair into a guitar but can't decide which to put them in!! Hahaha!

6. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    :pYep!! i'm a huge fan!!! l reckon they are the most underrated pick up ever!!! equally at home playing Jazz to rock & everything in between..... super super versatile... a Jet with Supers for me is pure tone heaven!!!! they are articulate..warm...bold... in your face vintage.. they sound great clean or overdriven... you have a great base if you want to add effects from there...:)

7. Gretschist

Gretschist Gretschie

May 20, 2013
    Cologne, Germany
    Very distortion-friendly pickups, great for clean sounds also.
    Best, Al

8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Funny. I am actually contemplating fitting one on Dicey's old 5120...
    Everything I read suggests it to be closely related to a TV classic, even using the same coils(winds). The (use of) steel bars instead of individual polepieces, increases inductance, and in layman's terms that translates to more low end.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  9. Dicey Reilly

Dicey Reilly Gretschie

Sep 17, 2012
    Scotland
    It's my annie you see - Her hilos aren't giving me much bottom end to play with (and she's a player rather than a collector's piece) so I'm thinking of a pickup change. I want to play her more at gigs but I need a setup that can jump from rockabilly to jazz standards (I've an upcoming nightclub residency playing a variety of styles). My dearmond-equipped electros kinda whip her for tone just now, actually so does my Jazzmaster, but I want something a little less thumpy.

Rich - clearly great minds think alike! ;)

10. Raconteur

Raconteur Gretschie

Nov 12, 2010
    Utah, USA
    I wish we had a 'thumbs up' or a like button for stuff like this ^ :cool:

11. Michiel

Michiel Friend of Fred

Jul 29, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I adore supertrons. Have a set of vintage supertron IIs in my Viking and a TV Supertron in te neck of my 'Belle. My favourite pickup.

In my opinion they are a little less hot than TV Classics and a bit brighter,
    more transparent, twangier.
    And what really sets them apart from classics is the otherworldy picking dynamics. Play softly and they produce a smooth, thumpy classic-like attack. Dig in and they produce a snap that rivals that of vintage dynasonics.

12. Dicey Reilly

Dicey Reilly Gretschie

Sep 17, 2012
    Scotland
    That sounds HUGELY up my street. Thanks Michiel!

13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Another option would be MagnaTrons. I put them in a Tenny instead of the stock HiLOs. Great sound.

14. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Do you find the Magnatrons too light on the bottom?

15. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    I don't have any TVJ SuperTrons, but I did once own a '69 Duo Jet with ST's and they sounded FANTASTIC! They are super sweet and, has been said, they do, indeed, distort/overdrive amazingly. I know TVJ claims that PowerTrons are Classics on steroids (okay, maybe that was said about a different pickup, but I'm on a roil) but ST's are truly Classics on serious juice. The kind of juice that would make Barry Bonds look like a hitter that can't hit the ball out of the infield.

I know that TVJ ST's aren't the same as vintage ST's, but knowing TVJ adherence to quality and constancy to the true tone, I have to believe that they're every bit as good, if maybe a teeny-weenie bit different.

I'd bet on them blindly.

16. Dicey Reilly

Dicey Reilly Gretschie

Sep 17, 2012
    Scotland
    As an added bonus, they look really cool. :)

17. papalobo

papalobo Gretschie

Oct 29, 2012
    Georgia
    +1 on their ability to handle hi gain . I have TV classics in one of mine and the 6122-59 has the supertron neck .. I prefer it as it has all the jangle and nails the CSNY tone when pushed.

18. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Too true. Those blades are great.

19. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    I'd like to join the SuperTrons lovers club, if you don't mind.
    I SuperTron'd the Roundup in a neck position, it goes lovely with the Dyna in the bridge.
    The ex-Dazza's SuperTron'd Power Jet found a new home in Denmark 3 weeks ago, traded it for a Gibson LP Std Faded. I'm replacing the Gibby's pickups with a pair of SuperTrons, yes :D

20. Archtop 13

Archtop 13 Gretschie

May 11, 2012
    Vermont, USA
    Super'trons are one of my favorite 2 pickups. This had always been my analysis of the Super'tron..."basically a Filtertron with a blade. The blade pulls the string signals together giving them less separation. The strength of the Filtertron is the sparkle & string separation. The Super'tron smooths things out by blending the signals a bit." I like them because they do tend to sound more full under overdrive loads. Yet they still retain much of that sparkle. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the Filtertron, also. Every tool has its job.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice