Tv jones dynasonic and a Gibson p90 a la Eddie Cochran

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Zombiefits138, May 17, 2011.

1. Zombiefits138

Zombiefits138 Electromatic

May 17, 2011
    Bell Gardens California
    Do u guys think it would be a good idea to mod my 5120 with the tv jones dynasonic equivalent an a gibson p90 dogear?

2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Zombiefits138, welcome to the forum! Some forum members with more experience than me will be along to give advice soon. I imagine that you will have some issues in fitting both TV Jones T-Armonds and Gibson P90 dogear into the existing 5120 pickup holes!

3. Zombiefits138

May 17, 2011
    Bell Gardens California
    Hi Zombiefits138, welcome to the forum! Some forum members with more experience than me will be along to give advice soon. I imagine that you will have some issues in fitting both TV Jones T-Armonds and Gibson P90 dogear into the existing 5120 pickup holes![/QUOTE]
    Thanks man!! I'll just let the luthier worry about that but do u think I can get some real wild and dirty rockabilly tones out of that combo? I like the way the p90 looks on Eddies guitar and I know he had sick distortion for the time coming out his gretsch

4. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    he may have to route the neck cavity a bit cause the 5120 has cavities that are shaped to fit more like a Gibson humbucker style, im sure i have seen a few 5120s with the 90 in the neck, and the tv jones t armond would probably need similar treat ment, and maybey some bracing and shims to get it to fit the guitar.

5. big kenny

big kenny Country Gent

Nov 2, 2010
    Wi
    I don't think you will get the sound you are after just putting those pickups in. I just turned my "eddie" over and its' unique sound has alot to do with the body and bracing and maybe electronics as well. There are feedback issues as well with those pickup choices. It does look cool tho!

6. Zombiefits138

May 17, 2011
    Bell Gardens California
    Hey big kenny what do u think I can do to get those dirty and wild tones what kinda pick ups should I put in my gretsch Im open to your suggestions

7. DevilYouKnow

DevilYouKnow Country Gent

Jan 18, 2009
    Fog City USA
    gFS will have a direct drop in replacement, maybe a surf 90 and ny2. It's pretty much a p90 and a dynasonic. Other members, please correct me if I'm wrong. It's a great combo. My Gibson R4 has a dyna styled puckup in the neck and a P90 in the bridge. I love. It like a mullet, business in the front, party in the rear. Thick syrupy jazz tones and unbridled, raw Ac/DC like dirt out of the P90 (once I raised it up nice and close to the strings. Good luck. Report back.

8. Zombiefits138

May 17, 2011
    Bell Gardens California
  9. Zombiefits138

May 17, 2011
    Bell Gardens California
    Here I am with my 5120 I named her The Black Dhalia an I named my HDR too I named it Hank haha

Attached Files:

10. megabutter

megabutter Country Gent

Mar 22, 2010
    California
    I vote GFS Surf 90 Bridge and a Gibson P-94 in the neck. Both direct retrofits into the original cavity.

I'll bet that would sound awesome!

Welcome to modsville!

11. big kenny

big kenny Country Gent

Nov 2, 2010
    Wi
    I'd go with butter's suggestion, unless you wanna get the "GGS" then a couple tv jones classic plus

12. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Synchromatic

Mar 15, 2009
    Magdalena, NM, US
    If you wanted to go all GFS you could sub a Mean 90 or Dream 90 in the neck spot with the Surf 90 bridge, save a few bucks (like $40-50).

13. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Damn son! watch'er momma feedin you! that's big ol' guitar, you make it look very small!

14. megabutter

megabutter Country Gent

Mar 22, 2010
    California
    Definately save a few bucks. Gibson P/U's aren't cheap. I only have experience w/ the P94 and know it's kick a$$. I really want to try some GFS's though. They read really well.

15. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Synchromatic

Mar 15, 2009
    Magdalena, NM, US
    Yeah, the Mean and Dream pickups are very good sounding units. The Mean 90 would be closer to a true P90 sound, but the Dream 90 makes for a very sweet neck pickup, a little less wooly than the Mean 90 but still has a similar vibe.

16. MacStevenXIII

MacStevenXIII Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2009
    Boston
    I put a Gibson p90 and a Gretsch Dynasonic in my 5129, had to route the neck cavity a little. I used my dremel. I LOVE the tones I get out of it. I would describe it as raw and dirty. I say go for it man. TV Jones will soon be offering their P90s in filtertron mounts so you wouldn't have to route the cavity in case you didn't like the sound. IMO if you're looking for "wild and dirty" tones I say get some dynasonics at least. But the "Cochran combo" sounds damn fine to me, and I too LOVE the way it looks. Darrel Higham also does this to his guitars and gets some of THE BEST tones I've ever heard.
    Check out these three videos,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El4uz-mqPnE"]YouTube - Imelda May - Psycho (Live on Later with Jools Holland 2010)[/ame]

http://youtu.be/0PWYReMetVo?t=28s

http://youtu.be/Mz147m98jdQ?t=1m11s

Here's my 5129, its a trashy raw as F*** rockabilly machine!
    [​IMG]

17. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Synchromatic

Mar 15, 2009
    Magdalena, NM, US
    That is a bad-ass guitar!

18. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    That Psycho vid is amazing! It takes what could so easily be novelty retro kitsch and spins it into art.

19. Zombiefits138

May 17, 2011
    Bell Gardens California
    Thanks to you all!!! I'm gonna go the gfs route with the dog ear at the neck and the dyna voiced pup at the bridge those vids convinced me I had to do it that way.... I'll let u guys know how it goes in a couple of weeks!! Oh yeah mantis i've allways been the biggest kid In class man!! they used to call me Barney the purple dinosaur hahahahahaha!!

20. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice