Trying hard not to roll my eyes...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Flouswa, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Electromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    You can hardly make a good Parts-Caster for $1000, so an American made Fender at that price seems reasonable to me.

Gretschmen65 and pmac11 like this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I priced out a Warmoth Partscaster and was well north of $1000. Part of this whole issue is that relatively inexpensive guitars have narrowed the gap between them and higher priced models so that it seems like little value added for the additional cash.

Jockabilly likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If you thinks that guitars are expensive, price brass or woodwinds---or pipe organs.

Bertotti and Flouswa like this.
  4. pmac11

pmac11 Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yep, or a grand piano.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Flouswa likes this.
  5. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Our theater has a pair of Bosendorfers and a few Steinways. Each is in the quarter million range. Still, there's no instrument as costly as a pipe organ---classical or theatrical. You basically have to design the building around them. Even upkeep is a killer. They're the most complex instruments ever built.

6. afire

afire Country Gent

My nephew and his boyfriend, both phenomenal and accomplished musicians, recently bought a house with a large detached garage with a full second story. They're in the process of constructing/installing a pipe organ. It is absolutely insane what they're doing. They had been collecting pipes and all sorts of parts and materials for a while. I'd wager that a space to build the organ was a big part of why they settled on that house.

7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Korea is there for sure, my Epi Sheraton is as nice as any Japanese guitar I've owned, and I've had some doozies. My '78 Ibanez 2635 Artist is fancier but the workmanship on the Epi is just as good. I know way more is done with machines now than in '78 but if the end result is the same, so be it.

8. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I knew a guy fifty years ago who had a pipe organ built into his 2 story house. He was obviously single. The longest pipes ran from the basement to the attic. Local organ shop here has a tracker (mechanical linkage) built in as well in their workshop. They had to add a clerestory just to fit the tallest pipes. Look up the Wanamaker Organ. Talk about massive!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    pmac11 likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I played a large church pipe organ once (seated maybe 2000) - man that is some sonic power, akin to a pair of Marshall stacks, maybe more so.

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    My dream, win the big lottery and build a house around the organ! Scare the crap out of people on Halloween!

pmac11 likes this.
  11. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You ought to see the giant fans that power these behemoths!

Bertotti and Henry like this.