Trying hard not to roll my eyes...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Flouswa, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

Sorry, I couldn't not do it any longer...:rolleyes:

Sweetwater has posted on various social media sites about the new Fender American Performer Series. Very standard looking guitars with some different features on them, the big push being that they are American made. I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) that these guitars are supposed to be above the average consumer/beginning guitarist line, more along the lines of a pro series guitar, or somewhere in between. The reason I'm rolling my eyes is there are people freaking out about the price tags. Most of them run somewhere between $1000 and $1500, which I personally don't think is out of line, especially given what you'd pay for a comparable line Gretsch.

I love a good deal as much as the next guy/gal, but I'm also one of those people willing to fork over some serious money for a high quality instrument if it's worth it. I haven't read any reviews on these, so they may be absolutely terrible guitars, but this particular group of people who are whining about the price have made some of the most ridiculous comments. I hate to think what they would do if they saw the price of a Falcon!!!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I agree with you. Sadly, the Walmart mentality dominates consumerism these days... the average person isn't willing to pay for quality when they can just go buy a cheap replacement.

Craftsmanship still counts for something--- just not to the average consumer.

Roger49, Jimi D, audept and 7 others like this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    In 1965 a Strat was around 250.00= 1950.00 in today's funds, an American pro Strat today is around 1400.00 so they're actually cheaper.

RomanS, Dave-B, dlew919 and 5 others like this.
  4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

You make a good observation Flouswa. As someone who has found a number of very fine Fender MIM Stratocasters, I appreciate the quality and economy of the MIM line. At the same time, I understand that the American made Strats have refinements that require a price bump. It's simply up to the player to decided whether they value the refinements enough to pay the extra price.

For me, I don't see the need to complain about price, when there are alternatives. And since prices are set by the manufacturer to achieve a specific profit, I sure wouldn't expect them to lower the price because I complained.

Just my 2 cents.

5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yes, and to me there's a noticeable difference between an American Fender and a Mexican Fender, not huge and one of my very favorite Fenders is Mexican but next to a AVRI Tele the Baja Tele is not quite as good imo. Ive had both too. Its exactly like Pro line and Electro Gretsch's.

6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    With Fender being investigated in the UK for price fixing, and dealerships moving away from Fender products because of the enforced tiny 8% margin, the public is right to question the prices.

BorderRadio, dlew919 and pmac11 like this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Anything made in America and touched by a human hand is going to be expensive. Period. Just look at the new minimum wage requirement in the agreement that will replace NAFTA. Actually, I imagine this new agreement is gonna mess with Fenders production model more than gretsch as gretsch only makes custom shops in North America.

Flouswa and Robbie like this.
  8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I do agree with you about the difference, Wildeman, although I have run across some very special MIM Strats (must have been made on a Wednesday), so I am satisfied. As to my Gretsch guitars, although I like my 5420 very much, when I got to play a used Tennessee Rose, I knew that it was special, and I was more that willing to spend the extra money to get it. I still play the 5420 in a rotation, but the Tennessee Rose gets played more.

6124Bassman, Flouswa and wildeman like this.
  9. RG7X

RG7X Electromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Nebraska
    Cognitive dissonance is a real thing with every hobby and it can be annoying and distracting sometimes. I don't get why it always has to be a competition for some people but I always notice those that have to justify their purchases (low or high). "My Line 6 sounds just as good as your Mesa and is 90% less" or "There's NO difference between my 6120 and your 5420". At the end of the day, there is a difference between all of these tools but it just boils down to a couple things; experience and preference. Genuinely knowing the difference and accepting it.

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's not like Sweetwater has much to do with the price. They have to charge a bit more than Fender charges them, just to be able to keep the lights on and the doors open.

You're paying US wages, not foreign. You want top wages, so why shouldn't Fender employees get the same? Sounds like some folks have champagne tastes on a beer budget.

11. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    +100.

LivingMyDream, pmac11 and Flouswa like this.
  12. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I might balk a bit at the Custom Shop prices (I also don't own any) but american Fenders (I own 4) are not really overpriced IMO. The Mexican Fenders range from a pretty good to great deal (though keep in mind many come with a bag instead of a hard case). I own 13 Mexican Fenders. IMO, all are good guitars. But the American models are in fact cheaper than they were (when adjusted for inflation) in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Flouswa likes this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    do they come with a case ...... :D ( sorry ....lol )

14. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Wait... so there's the players series, sub $800, then the professional series for <$1300?

Or are you just confusing the performer series for the professional?

I mean I've been eyeballing a professional series Jaguar for quite a while... I'm not sure what you're rolling your eyes about? I rolled my eyes at the "Players" series, because while they we're fine instruments... they should have just called them the "indy-rock players series" because all the pickup selections are kinda whack.

But the Professional series are just out of the box workhorses with pickups that don't need a swap, or a fret leveling or any of that garbage; and I think they look a lot better than average. Especially the vintage olive finish.

In my mind you're actually getting what's advertised with the professional series. I want a readily available guitar... that doesn't need anything done to it...

For instance. I got a great deal on a gibson LPDC a few years ago... but after the cost of mods and my time I spent to do them... I could be holding that professional series all the same. (and I didn't even swap the pickups on it!)

Robbie and Flouswa like this.
  15. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    The Highway One series was pretty much the same idea. Although the colors available this time are better.
    I do like the honey burst tele.

[​IMG]

16. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

It wasn't that they were questioning the pricing on Fender per se. They were acting like $1000 was a ridiculous price for ANY guitar. One of the comments was "for that price, it should play itself." And these were people who are supposedly musicians.

17. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

I'm rolling my eyes at the stupid comments at the idea of $1000 being too much for a quality guitar. One of the commenters said they could "buy any guitar for $100 at a pawn shop and it would sound just as good."

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    DougCraft and Lizardkinged like this.
  18. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

Good question! LOL I'm going to have to look.
    (edited to add--I looked. Gig bags. Better than nothing I guess, kind of reflects the mid-range price, sort of like the lower priced Taylor's.)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    thunder58 likes this.
  19. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    For the kind of people who'd say that it's actually true, since they undoubtedly play that weedlyweedlyweedly **** with maximum distortion covering a multitude of sins kinda thing.

pmac11, 6124Bassman and Flouswa like this.
  20. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    The new Performer series is not very impressive to me, but ~1100-1200 bucks for a new American Fender is a good deal and great price point. These are slab bodies with screw on necks we’re talking here, not more complicated set neck hollowbodies.

I’m no fan of the Strat trem on the Jazzmaster. Will never buy one, it’s anti-gas. I like the Mustang in the penny color, but the brandless vibrato plate makes me think these “MIA” guitars have a greater proportion of import parts. More so than MIA guitars at a higher price point. Maybe, who knows.

Some of the finest MIMs have American parts, like the TVL Jazzmaster. People balked at a MIM over a grand but that’s a fantastic guitar and also a fair price for the quality and parts received.

larryb and Flouswa like this.