Tru-Arc Serpentune on a 5445-T?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by xtcclassic, Mar 11, 2019.

1. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Electromatic

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    i just got this guitar a few days ago and the modding has already commenced. I’ve already installed a G tailpiece which is a huge improvement already IMHO. Next up is a bone nut and hopefully a Tru-Arc bridge. Is there a consensus as to whether the intonation works with this bridge on this guitar? Should I consider a nice machined ABR bridge instead? Side question, should I go with aluminum, brass, or stainless steel? Callaham seems to have a poor opinion of brass and aluminum.

Here’s a pic with the G tailpiece:

33E882BD-E7BE-4FF1-B1ED-2F4AB4CA12BF.jpeg

2. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hello xtcclassic and welcome !

I have a Tru-Arc Lefty Low Rider Serpentune made from Stainless Steel on one of my guitars (scale 24"75, 10-52 strings) and it's simply perfect, both in look and intonation :

[​IMG]

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

new6659 and audept like this.
  3. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    My Serpentune intonates very well on my 5438T or 5435T, whichever is gold. The high E is off very slightly. Other strings are spot on.

4. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    You have an adjustable segment bridge. The intonation can not be improved with a solid bridge.

With a solid bridge you can improve the transmission of the (intonated or not) full tone of bridge to the guitar body.

The first step in finding an appropriate solid bridge is to figure out which strings you like. As if you want to be married to them. For the rest of your life.

Then send that to Tim (Proteus) for a Serpentune bridge.

Lee

5. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Electromatic

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    I’ve long ago married myself to 11-50’s so the string thing isn’t an issue. I’m pretty sure I’ll give the Serpentune a shot, I’m just torn between aluminum and stainless, and I could still be swayed towards brass or copper. I like the idea of maximizing twang, spank, and bark but I also like the idea of a fuller low end or richer midrange. I’m keeping the blacktops on this one, they sound fantastic on this guitar, tons of attitude, spank, and clarity. I’ll primarily be using the bridge pickup if that helps. Anyone have experience with the different metals?

6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I have an aluminum tru-arc on my 2622T, and I have a SS tru-arc on my 5129.
    I prefer the stainless, personally. Still as twangy as i want, but it feels and sounds more substantial to me. Plus it sustains like mad. Chords and notes ring out longer than with the aluminum.
    I have no experience with a brass tru-arc, but I have a gretsch brass bar bridge on my 5420. I love it. Honestly, if I was told it was stainless steel, i would have believed it.

7. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Electromatic

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    That’s a pretty strong sales pitch for stainless.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Why did I choose SS ? because it's stainless = no oxidation, and also because it's more wear-resistant if you use and abuse of a Bigsby.

Plus yes, it's a favourable material about sustain, and this was interesting for my Saved-from-Trash Plywood Box guitar to improve her moderate sustain :

[​IMG]

A+!

new6659 and audept like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice