Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Trouble with eBay seller

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by loudnlousy, Aug 12, 2017.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Since more than 16 years I am an eBay member. Buying and selling things quite troublefree and paying a lot of fees for it.
    Two weeks ago on sunday late evening I won an auction for a combo-amp for about a third of the usual market value. I was very happy. Sent the money immediately to the seller.
    Next day at noon I got the message that he stopped the transaction because the company that was supposed to do the shipping dropped the amp an now it is completely damaged.

I could not believe 1.) that he managed to organize the shipping as early as 15 hours after the sale 2.) a combo designed for heavy roaduse could be damaged that bad my simply dropping it.
    So I asked him for a proof.
    I am sure that he simply was not content with the price he got in the auction.
    Ebay said that they cannot help. But I have a legally binding contract and it is the seller`s duty to proof that the amp is completely destroyed. Even then I could ask him to supply a compareable amp because of our contract.

Now I am waiting for his proof. Until now he reacted with delaying-tactics.
    Has something like that ever happen to you?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    You can only be sure that ebay won't help, sorry.

loudnlousy and thunder58 like this.
  3. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Viel Glück.

Fingers-Crossed.jpg

loudnlousy and Stefan like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Did he refund you your money?
    Fwiw, I can see shipping an item within 24 hours. But the transport company dropping the amp bit sounds suspect allthough it does happen of course.

6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    It's never happened to me because I personally never trusted eBay and I have never used eBay . Too many stories like yours for me . ( but that's me )
    Sorry to hear you say , " Now I am waiting for his proof " ...... get comfortable :( I hope it all works out for you in the end , good luck

loudnlousy likes this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Yes, he did.
    But this is not the problem.
    The problem is that I won this auction for super-cheap and getting that amp on the "normal" second-hand market would be impossible for that money.

8. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    @loudnlousy ... hope I did not insult you or hurt your feelings , not my intent my friend :) Glad you got the refund

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I did understand you correctly. No problem:)

thunder58 likes this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny

11. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Sadly this is the sort of practice resorted to by some ebay sellers when the item does not reach a price they are prepared to accept. They could of course specify a minimum price which they would be prepared to accept when listing but that costs them more in ebay charges of course.

I have used ebay a fair bit over the years and have yet to be "taken for a ride" in the way you have and I have even snagged some real bargains along the way but with the number of items on offer at any one time there are always going to be the black sheep in there who don't want to "play the game" when it comes to being correct and fair.

I don't know the legal situation but perhaps you should demand confirmation of the "completely destroyed" damage from the carrier? If you have legal cover (Advocard for example) maybe a stiff worded letter from a lawyer might help.

What reputation does the seller have (his positive rating)?

12. arty

arty Electromatic

Aug 5, 2017
    Wales UK
    What was the sellers eBay record like Anywhere like 100% ? Arty

13. zebulon

zebulon Electromatic

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    [​IMG]I found him.... oh never mind.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    loudnlousy likes this.
  14. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Unfortunately if the guy is immoral enough to lie about the amp getting damaged I doubt he'll come clean about it.

I once tried to buy a boat on a private sale. I went and checked it out, put a healthy deposit on it, and told the seller I would be back the next day to pick it up. I had to borrow my dad's truck to pull it.
    Next day I show up and the boat is gone. The seller gives me some far fetched story about his brother in law got drunk that night, took the boat out and sunk it in 120 feet of water. Then he hands me my deposit back.
    I was furious and pretty certain someone had come along, offered more money and bought the boat out from under me. The seller just kept denying it and stuck to his story.
    In the end there's nothing I could do. Even if he had admitted it the boat was gone. I just hope Karma got him at some point.

CatTones and loudnlousy like this.
  15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    The legal situation is quite clear. The seller has to prove that the item is not more existing or has been destroyed beyond repair. The notification to the insurance of the shipping company would be a probate proof. I am really considering giving this case to my lawyer.
    The seller`s reputation: 768 transactions. 48 positive, 2 negative during the last 12 months.

TSims1 likes this.
  16. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Do it. Stay on him every. Single. Day. Until he gives you proof, and tell him if he doesn't give you proof within 48 hours you are going to unleash your lawyer.

wildeman and loudnlousy like this.
  17. Arky

Arky Gretschie

Feb 4, 2012
    Texas
    How did you get a legal contract on an Ebay purchase?

Usually, if you pay your money and don't receive the item, Ebay will refund you and go after the seller.... Since the seller has already refunded you, Ebay considers this "solved".

I recently bought a box of $14 drill bits. Tracking shows that the item got stuck in Houston. I called UPS, they investigated and it appears they can't locate the item. UPS will reimburse the seller. Meanwhile, I have asked the seller to try to ship me the same item again. If they don't, I can have Ebay get me a refund....

I 'm an active buyer and seller on eBay and have seen a lot of stuff from misleading pictures to shill bidding (bidders from the sellers same zip code back when you could "see" a bidders location). Sneaky stuff. However, 98% of the time, things go smoothly...

18. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Which amp and how much do you've paid? We both know you cannot win here unless it's enough money.

19. Sunshine

Sunshine Synchromatic

Jun 28, 2008
    Espoo, Finland
    Where they sell those?... I need one. ;)

20. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    We are talking about a price difference of ca. EUR 600.:mad:
    The amp should be theme for another NAD thread.:)Hopefully.

21. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The contract with the seller may on part be determined by eBay rules so I would check to make sure your eBay contract actually allows any remedy beyond getting your money back. In many transactions, consequential damages are waived.