Triple Jet Build

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by G-Whiz, Feb 29, 2012.

1. G-Whiz

G-Whiz Country Gent

Dec 30, 2011
    Virginia
    Randy Parsons built him a copper painted Jet, which was the first draft, sort of. Jack liked it, but wanted to use real sheet copper, so Randy built him another one with the copper top.

Judging from the other copper guitars Randy has built, and seeing some photos of the production of them, the copper is a sheet copper and is pretty thin. Maybe like a credit card. You know what is also about that thickness? The drum wrap Gretsch uses on the Sparkle Jet.

Based on this, I would venture to guess that the Triple Jet that Jack used with the Raconteurs is a mahogany body and neck with a maple top and the sheet copper glued to the top and lacquered over.

2. Theone

Theone Electromatic

Oct 18, 2012
    Alabama
    Damn. Sorry for ultra late reply. Jack gave me permission because I gave him a light blue Airline. Mine ended up being a Dark red. It has a color change element. Looks black unless light is shining on it. One thing mine has you guys didn't put in is a Theremin in the bridge. I'm working the legality of posting a pick. Since its the only Triple Jet not owned by Jack, he doesn't want me advertising it as a genuine triple jet. Randy Had it on his site for a few days till jack complained.

3. G-Whiz

G-Whiz Country Gent

Dec 30, 2011
    Virginia
    I'm not sure Jack's Triple Jet has a theremin inside of it. I'm pretty sure only his Anniversary Jr. Has that. A couple of points: if you have had a guitar custom built, there should be no legal issues regarding posting pictures of it online. You bought it, it's yours to do with as you please. I'm sure if Randy and Jack were looking on this forum and there were any sort of legal issues, I would have been sued by now. Hell, mine pops up as the second or third picture on Google images.

Also, What year is the Airline you gave him?

4. Theone

Theone Electromatic

Oct 18, 2012
    Alabama
    Well not literally illegal. Parsons asked if he could post pictures on his site before anywhere else if his name is used. Nothing wrong with him asking that. What's yer point about the theremin? I had permission to commission a Triple Jet. I'd much rather have a personalized guitar rather than a copy. I could a saved $ and time getting the one he sent back. A Blunderbuss blue. But this is MY Triple Jet. No one will ever have one like it. Toom 6 1/2 months to finish.
    The Airline is a '65 Jetson my Grandfather had in storage. He bought it for my dad new when he was 7 and it was never used. He is having somethings done to it and has said he plans on play it live when it's the way he wants it. I had no need for it so I asked Ben Blackwell if Jack would want it. Ben said no but he'd ask. He emailed me that Jack was ecstatic and for me to send it. I took it to them and was able to meet and play guitar with Jack. Before I left, Ben gave me a box full of Third Man Limited Vinyl. Including 3" Denial Twist, Triple Decker, First Dead weather single tri color.

5. Theone

Theone Electromatic

Oct 18, 2012
    Alabama
    You wouldn't be sued because you built it yourself. Unless you sold it as a Parsons or Jack White Triple Jet (Mine is a Parsons. According to certificate.). I can sell mine. Been offered $15k. But unless I needed the $(which I'm sure I'll never run out of $) it would be wrong to sell. Randy said he knows he has turned down at least 20 well known guitarists and celebrities. Gets countless requests from gen. Population a day. Getting permission was a big deal. No telling the value when Jack is in the Hall of Fame. Jack asked if I wanted him to sign it when he went to pick up tele and I said No. Don't want anyone writing on it ha.

6. Kmonz90

Kmonz90 Country Gent

Jan 20, 2013
    Minnesota
    I really really really want to see a pic. It's not that I don't believe you personally, It's just the old internet rule: pics or it didn't happen :p

I didn't know they made airlines in blue either. Do you have a picture of that guitar before you gave it away?

I have a double jet i modded into a triple jet and you can see it in this thread http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forum/technical-side-things/86474-lowering-new-floating-bridge-jet.html

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  7. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Good job...hi5!

8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Thanks for the wiring diagram. So day, far in the future, I am thinking about rewiring the 5622 I have (3 PUPs, 2 switches, 5 knobs) as it is really wacky. I'm gonna keep that schematic in my back pocket just in case to adapt to my setup - I like the idea of 1 switch each for the PUPs, but want to avoid drilling.

9. Kmonz90

Kmonz90 Country Gent

Jan 20, 2013
    Minnesota
    I design all sorts of crazy wiring diagrams. my latest was a 2 humbucker tele with 2 push pull knobs no "real" switches. I wanted a vol and tone and a classic cabronita look. the new ones theyre putting out make you sacrafice a tone knob to have a second pickup and a selector switch. you can check out that build here if you want http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forum/o...f-my-cabronita-give-me-min-scratch-build.html

If you ever need help inventing a diagram let me know! I would be glad to draw something up.

10. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I dunno why they dont just use a concentric pot on those cabronitas.

I'm starting to really get into concentric pots in my circuits as I've been experimenting with bass roll off's and have been needing to free up a spot on the pick-guard for more pots. I had a buddy who decided to go switchless and had me throw an M/N style balance pot on his guitar to blend the neck and bridge pups in or out, with a bass roll off, tone pot and a master volume instead of the individual volumes, tone and master. (we did leave the switch in the body though for aesthetics.)

11. Kmonz90

Kmonz90 Country Gent

Jan 20, 2013
    Minnesota
    Someone who gets it!

I have quite a few fun ideas with concentrics

12. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Hey, gotta keep a stock look sometimes... Others can just be a mess of knobs and switches. Lately I've also been thinking of messing with a Fender TBX control.

13. Tribute_King

Tribute_King Newbie

Dec 6, 2016
    California
    Hi guys, I ran into this site by seeing a picture of a G-Whiz's sweet looking Triple Jet on google. I'm a JW fan and more importantly love building tribute guitars to add to my collection, it's my kind of thing , this was late 2016 and this thread was so insightful. I wouldn't have started the project without all the info in here.

I was able to finish with the help of my friend who's is a guitar tech sometime last year.

Just wanted to give a shout out to G-Whiz and everyone who had added great input to this thread. It helped make this possible , especially adding the foot pedal.

I just created an instagram for sharing these kind of projects and what not (the_gamut_run).

Just thought it be cool to show and tell. Great community.

Here's a before and After.
    IMG_3376.PNG

MTurner, j.s.c and englishman like this.
  14. G-Whiz

G-Whiz Country Gent

Dec 30, 2011
    Virginia
    Hey! Thanks man. I just logged in for the first time in probably two years because I got an email about this.

I’ll check put that IG.

Also, how did you end up doing the copper top? If you would pm me those details, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again!

fender62custom and Lizardkinged like this.
  15. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Don't be a stranger

j.s.c and fender62custom like this.
  16. G-Whiz

G-Whiz Country Gent

Dec 30, 2011
    Virginia
    Hey Lizard. I may be hanging around more often now.

fender62custom likes this.
  17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    A belated welcome to the forum, Tribute_King!
    palm-tree-welcome-doormat.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice