Trip advice: Nashville/Memphis OR New Orleans?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ruger9, Jan 14, 2019.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Wife & I taking a trip for my 50th. Music & food.

We've been to Nashville twice already, but we do love that town. Thank God Robert's, Layla's, and Full Moon (along with BB King's Blues, and the Boogie Bar in Printer's Alley) are still fighting the good fight against the Bro Country onslaught.

Never been to Memphis, would do a couple night there in the blues clubs.

As for NO, we went there once, before Katrina. I wasn't a foodie back then, and the crowd I was with was more interested in Bubba Gump's shrimp and finding Hurricanes than they were about finding good music.

So, what do you think? 2 nights in Nash+2 nights in Memphis, or probably a 3-nighter in New Orleans?

2. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Personally I'd vote for New Orleans simply because I liked it there better than the other two options :)

3. barebluesea

barebluesea Electromatic

Mar 20, 2018
    Burlington, ON Canada
    I've been to all three - tough choice!!

4. I would consider the gear your looking to buy on the way. Best Cajun accordions are in New Orleans. Nashville has those expensive places like Carter guitars and such. Don’t recall seeing big music stores the one time I went to Memphis, but everyone needs to stop in and see Elvis at least once and experience standing in Sun Studios.

Merc likes this.
  5. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Not looking to buy gear, just good music and good food. We would do a few touristy things during the day (we've done them all in Nashville, but Memphis has Sun Studios, etc.)

6. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Memph-Ville!!!

7. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    .... that's my vote

8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am a home base traveler, and 2 cities in 3 days would be too much driving ,un/packing, settling in for me. I'd do 3 nights in one place.

9. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    New Orleans is a great city for food, music, history and culture. Frenchman street is a three block strip of all clubs with love music, most have no cover charge and you can just walk from one to the other. It’s like a less obnoxious version of bourbon st. Food is hard to beat along with history and culture. There is also a B Kong’s club here in the French Quarter. If you are considering coming here send me a pm for info

Merc and ruger9 like this.
  10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I spent 5 yrs flying to Nashville to record and my downtime was all gravesites, battle sites and downtown nashvegas. So in love w that place but I'd never leave So Cal. Nola scares me :)

Alberta_Slim and nickurso like this.
  11. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I'd be all about Nashville/Memphis, just to spend some time in Memphis. It would be hard to pass up 3 days in New Orleans, though, since you've never been there and Nick can give you lots of advice on where to go.

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I've been to all three, and all three are terrific but.... the food in New Orleans is magnificent. Just sayin.

13. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Jun 2, 2018
    Sunny California
    Whatever you decide, be safe and report back with full disclosure.
    That only, if you except this mission.
    God Speed. Destiny Is All!

14. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    New Orleans, just not August, the humidity is killer.

15. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    HA!!! Won't be summer no matter where we go. I HATE heat & humidity. It's be either May or October.

Wow, I keep hearing bad stuff about Memphis. Makes me sad.

Having been to Nash twice, I feel like going again would be "more of the same" (still a good time)... especially since we are not "bro country" fans and would stick to our old favorites (Robert's, Layla's, Full Moon).... we never got out to 3rd and Lindsley or The Station Inn because we were walking (and drinking, which is why were were walking LOL). I'm afraid alot of the "new stuff" there is more in the bro country vain, which really irritates me LOL.

NOLA, even tho we've been, I feel would be "more different", because we did not hit Frenchman Street... that sounds like an awesome time! Actually sounds more like Nashville's Broadway than the French Quarter does.

I don't know....

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  16. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Having spent 27 of the last 28 years on the west coast, travel into the South has never seemed like a viable plan, but coincidentally a couple of days ago I had a quick google for flights from Toronto to Memphis and was AMAZED at how cheap they are! So some day Memphis fer sher, gotta see Beale street, get into Sun Records and buy bags of merch, then Nashville and the Country Music HOF and hopefully catch Chris Scruggs at The Local. I love the food of New Orleans though never eaten it locally, but for the music, it's Tennessee for me.

@ruger9 , looking forward to hearing all about whatever trip you decide!

17. I'd say New Orleans -
    When it parties - no pending hurricanes, and everyone has had their fill of shrimp -
    the dancing goes far into the warm balmy nights.

new6659 likes this.
  18. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    You can't go wrong with any are all. Jazz Country and blues, it is all to enjoy.

19. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    AL
  20. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    Tennessee's the cooler of the 2, but maybe you can hang out and go see Nick down in NOLA. Or you can visit scenic Mobile, the original, and superior capital of French Louisiana.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice