Tried this pedal last night and I'm gassing ..........

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by thunder58, Jan 19, 2019.

1. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ( not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum but .... )
    For all you pedal geeks out there I tried this pedal last night and It's about the coolest thing I've ever played through . The Electro-Harmonic B 9 Organ Machine . Although a bit pricey , I had a lot of fun with it and I'm only really a rhythm player . I really felt like I mastered a completely different instrument . For me it brought me back to " the day " . Go check one out and have some fun in your life . And that's what it is .. fun . And if you have one in your drawer your tired of ... pass me a note .

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Nice!
    I keep one on my pedal board and use it a lot. Mostly for choruses and bridges. It really sounds like there’s an organ banging away chords. The continental setting is the best!
    Also, when you do bends or use the bigsby, it’s a crazy sound. Organs don’t bend that way!

thunder58 and Bertotti like this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Organs are my first love, if I won a lottery I would build a house around a pipe organ! When I want organ I use my Rise 49 and Hauptwerk or other and it bends and glides and slides etc....

thunder58 and pmac11 like this.
  4. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I always get an itch for one when I hear my buddy use it at his shows. Sounds cool when he does the solo from "Runaway" by Del Shannon.

thunder58 likes this.
  5. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    They are fun for sure. As you say, pricey

thunder58 likes this.
  6. Fun pedal. Had one briefly, like most of my gear. Now you got me looking around for a used one again. Thanks for passing the gas.

dak55 and thunder58 like this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I do like it but I don't need another temperamental pedal that wants to be first in my signal chain. I already have a couple of those.

thunder58 likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm a keyboard player. There are a lot more guitarists than keyboardists, so, I can see a use for this pedal---for others. Have fun.

thunder58 likes this.
  9. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I just used mine last night. It typically sits unused on the board for the whole show until we play Dwight Yoakam’s “Fast As You,” then it gets one long E7 chord a few bars into the intro. About the only time it gets used, but it always turns heads because it nails the sound. Last night was an exception because the dance floor got crowded and we kept it going, and the other guitar player and I started trading solos. Since I can’t do those absurdly huge Pete Anderson bends on a guitar with .011s, I opted to do one as an organ solo with the B9. Not sure how well it came off, but as always, it was a lot of fun.

EH has other keyboard-emulating pedals that look and sound (at least, when Bill Ruppert plays them in their demos) pretty cool, but I haven’t tried any of them yet.

thunder58 likes this.
  10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Look around you might find one used for a good price. They are cool but some players unload them after the novelty wears off.

calebaaron666 and thunder58 like this.
  11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Does it glitch like autotune when you bend?

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, my coveted Korg Miku lasted me about two weeks.

13. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Cool beans, Rich! I really dig the EHX "9" series pedals. I use the Mel9 a lot on my acoustic gigs. Mixing in some strings or flutes adds a beautiful texture and depth that enhances the sound bigtime. When I play a song like A Day In The Life, the full orchestra setting makes it sound like I'm strumming along with a symphony. It's awesome. I'm now looking at the Key9 as I'm going to be adding some more Steely Dan and having that classic Wurlitzer sound mixed in with my guitar will be soopah wicked pissah cool!

I wish EHX would make a larger format pedal that has ALL of the 9 series peals in it and has MIDI I/O and presets (and upgradable firmware to add future pedals). It would cost more and take up more space, but I'd grab it in a second.

And remember... what's better than roses on your piano?

Tulips on your organ.

(Say it out loud if reading it doesn't do the trick.)

Bertotti, thunder58 and loudnlousy like this.
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I had one of these and decided to sell it quick.

First of all it is a very well made device.
    The tracking is o.k., the sounds are quite convincing and the price is appropriate, imho.
    But:
    You can only play it the way it is meant to be played when you use a very clean amp.

I bought it because I alwas dreamed of being able to lay a B3 beneath of a nice fat distorted rhythm-tone when playing live. (That`s what I use to do in the studio very often. Doubling my guitar with an old Hammond organ.)
    This is possible but you need a second amp to do that.
    That seemed far too complicated and unpractical to me.

If you really intend to use it as a six-strings-faux-keyboard you will have to adjust your playing, too.
    A keyboard uses different phrasing and chord -choices than a guitar. So, no sliding, no fingervibrato etc..

thunder58 likes this.
  15. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Thanks for all the feedback guys . Just got home from work and was thinking about it all day

16. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yes, i got mine used, but in brand new condition off of reverb for $175. Included original box, and everything.
    I borrowed my friends b9 and my drummer loved the way it sounded on a few of our songs, so she wanted me to get it as much as I wanted it!
    I was able to use cash from our band fund. Awesome deal!

thunder58 likes this.
  17. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    " band fund " ... now theres something to think about . But first I need a band

calebaaron666 likes this.
  18. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I bought one when they first came out. Mostly because the only sound I really liked well on my Roland Strat was the B3 sound. It was killer.
    But the B9 sounded fairly good in my music room, in the band mix at volume, it just wouldnt cut it for me. Way too percussive and I couldnt dial it out. Sold immediately to regain my money.
    I wonder if the newer ones are better, or the C9 maybe? Was there one before the B9 by EH? Can't remember if that was the one I had or not but I think so.

19. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yeah baby!
    We don’t make much when we play, but what we do make goes into a fund to play for band stuff: cd pressings, t shirts, cables, guitar strings, cymbals, drum sticks, gas, band meals out ot town etc.

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice