Tried my First Ever Gretsch!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Camuel, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Camuel

Camuel Electromatic

Mar 2, 2019
    Scotland
    As some of you know, I'm smitten by the White Falcon. I'd never actually seen one on person, let along play one, until last Saturday. I went to the mainland with my daughter to get her a surprise birthday present and thought, since I was on the big bad mainland, I'd just pop into the local guitar shop on the way past. And, would you believe it, they had a used White Falcon hanging right by the door. "It's a sign", thought I!

[​IMG]
    The shop guy said it was a 2003 model that he was selling on commission, but on checking the serial number it turns out to be a 2006 model. It's in really good condition, with only a bit of tarnishing on the tremolo bar and a minor ding on the top that hasn't even broken through the lacquer (or whatever the top coating is).

So, what did I learn? Well, firstly, it fits. I found it very comfortable to play seated and didn't feel that the deep body was a problem. Well, I'm an acoustic player and am used to my dread and my SJ and I've also owned a Gibson SJ so I'm used to big guitars.

Secondly, it suits me. I tried it through a nice Blackstar amp and enjoyed the tones I was getting, although to be fair, I'm not used to electric guitar at all and so I don't really have a personal point of reference other than recordings and videos I've heard.

Thirdly, I still don't like the neo classical inlay and, having never had a Bigsby before, I'm not sure that that really is a deal breaker. So, for that reason, I feel that I'm pretty close to the final decision of the 55 model with the Cadillac tailpiece. The used guitar was going for £2800 which seemed fair, although I've since found the same model / year for £2400 on another site -- not sure of the condition though.

If I fall in love with the 55 as I hope that I would, I can always swap out the tailpiece for a Bigsby or swap out the pickups if I ever felt that I wanted to, but I couldn't add inlay or change the headstock -- I also LOVE the vertical logo that's on the 55.

Would it be Filter'Trons that were on this 2006 model?

Exciting times!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    I would buy it! But I did a pounds to dollars and I see $3661.57! if I am right with that, and the condition,, No it is too expensive. Personally I would be around 2000-2500 usd for that. at the most. It is surely a beautiful beast!

Waxhead likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Yeah, that does seem a bit steep.

Waxhead likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Tuff decision . It looks really nice when it's on your lap and you're playing it , but the price does seem steep . I would wait on it and keep looking around .
    It is a beautiful guitar

5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Looks like you could clean up that bigsgy handle and I suggest you get a Gretsch with one.
    Once you learn how to use it you'll value it highly.

Yes they are Gretsch HS Filtertrons in it and filters are my fav pick ups in any Gretsch.

Price does seem a little high but gotta remember these are Scotland prices and it maybe fair there.

USA is the cheapest place in world to buy electric guitars.
    I mostly buy them in US and import to Aust but the customs duty in UK is much higher so may not be as attractive there.

new6659 likes this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Looks really good on you. You should consider buying one.:)
    To be serious: These are the alpha males among rock`n roll hollows. I would love to own one myself if I could only afford it.

7. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Perfect fit. Seen a Country Club?

8. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    It's a bute!!!! For many it's a dream guitar. I love my Electromatic. But that beautiful guitar you are considering is a demi god of Gretsch guitars. Good luck deciding.

new6659 likes this.
  9. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Very cool! I really want to go play one just to see if it would work for me, but at least now that you have, you can keep your eyes open for one that is a good deal.

10. afire

afire Country Gent

That's probably not going to happen in Scotland. But I agree, even considering that, £2800 seems a little high to me. But I could be totally wrong.

Yes. But if prefer everything else about the '55 and go with it and later find you prefer the FilterTron, there's an easy solution. TV Jones makes FilterTrons in DeArmond casings (which is actually what the very first FilterTrons were). So you can swap to FilterTrons with no routing or drilling required.

[​IMG]

11. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Class geet,but that one is expensive,you can do better .

I wouldn't mind adding one of these 6136T's,or the 59VS, to my small avian collection someday.

Waxhead likes this.
  12. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    That’s a lovely looking Falcon but maybe a touch overpriced?
    I paid £1800 for my 2005 Falcon 18 months ago.. F5243216-5664-4EEF-897A-EB79645C5FCB.png

JC higgy, Waxhead and calebaaron666 like this.
  13. Camuel

Camuel Electromatic

Mar 2, 2019
    Scotland
    That's a way better price! Love the decals too.

I'll just tease you all by saying that I've just placed an order for a new Falcon, but which one? And for how much? I think I got a pretty good deal, but it's a couple of weeks out. Let the waiting commence!

14. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Falcon addict here.

Attached Files:

15. TeeDub

TeeDub Synchromatic

Jun 21, 2011
    Colorado
    What a beautiful instrument! I wouldn't change a thing. Embrace the neoclassical inlay! Does seem to be at the high end of the price range. I see these offered on Craigslist between $2300 and $2800 when they come up.

16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I'm guessing this one. g6136-55-vintage-selec

I love Single coils but don't have a Gretsch with them the HS Filters are very good at not being PAF's. Ideally, mine would have no inlay on the board a Bigsby Single coils and a mud switch no tone pot. Since you stated you did not like the neo fretboard and loved the Verticle logo, I think this is it and I hope you get surprised and it shows up much much sooner! unless of course, you have a favorite color you haven't told us? There are Black Falcons and Blue Falcons and even a Silver Falcons which confused me because they are black but have nickel or chrome fittings.

new6659 likes this.
  17. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    I agree with many others in that it is a beautiful guitar, but the price is too high. It is likely that most of the white or black Falcons will have the gold rubbed off the handle and at the top of the saddle. Some will have the finish worn off the Bigsby casting as well as the one you played. The parts are easily replaceable, but they are not cheap. For £2800, I would expect that gold plating will be at 80%. In the US, those parts will cost about £230, assuming that you will be removing the old parts and assembling the new parts.

Congratulations on narrowing down your search, I am sure that you will find a deal, now that you know more about the condition/price. Good Luck my friend.

18. Camuel

Camuel Electromatic

Mar 2, 2019
    Scotland
    That's a really good guess. That's all I'm sayin' for now!

new6659 and Bertotti like this.
  19. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Ummmmmmmmm...how many kidneys you still got?

20. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    To confuse matters even more, don't forget the Setzer Black Phoenix -- a Silver Falcon, but with some upgrades in the pickup and other departments, and only a pickup selector and volume. I thought for sure I really needed a tone knob or switch. Now, several years into owning a Phoenix, I'm gonna add a single tone capacitor. Great members of the Falcon Club. (Which was, I kid you not, the name of the neighborhood club/harmless gang I was in as a 9-year-old.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice