Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Treble bleed

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by section2, Jun 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. section2

section2 Gretschie

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I installed a treble bleed in the master volume pot of my G2655 tonight. It took a fair bit of effort to fish the pot out to the F-hole—and even then, the pot was too big to fit through the hole, so I did the soldering inside the body of the guitar—but wow, what a difference this little mod made! I can finally use the master volume without killing my tone, and I'm suddenly wondering why a master volume control doesn't come standard on all guitars. (I'm also wondering why a treble bleed doesn't come standard on all guitars, but that's another story.) Well worth doing .

GreTschocaster and dlew919 like this.
  2. dlew919

dlew919 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I’ve been thinking about it. I think I might. What capacitor did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. section2

section2 Gretschie

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I bought this circuit from Y-Knot Music on eBay. The specs are listed as a 1000pf/50v capacitor with a 100K ohm 1/4w resistor. Great price; friendly seller; and most importantly, it sounds great!

dlew919 likes this.
  4. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    They said "Proudly Manufactured in the USA"

:) 2 points solder job is enough be be proud american, I fell stange about it but ok...

5. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I installed the one on the left recently on a non Gretsch but that has a Filtertron in it. It's a bit strange as the tone control no longer changes the tone now. 0-10 doesn't go into the soft bassy tone anywhere. Gonna try the middle scheme I think. Although someone suggested different values for the left scheme.
    [​IMG]

6. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    My Reverend which has a treble bleed plus a bass contour control all of which use caps, no resistors and it works great.
    I have 271pf on the volume pot and it works quite well.

section2 likes this.
  7. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Gretschie

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    I'm one of those strange old guys who actually likes to roll off a few highs with a slight reduction of volume.
    Especially on mud-switch equipped Gretsch guitars.

Limuz, swivel, Bertotti and 2 others like this.
  8. section2

section2 Gretschie

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Yeah, that's an odd result. Which pot did you install the treble bleed on?

As for values: 0.002mF does seem like a high value. My cap is 0.001mF, and it does the job nicely. I wonder whether you just need a lower-value cap.

9. section2

section2 Gretschie

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    That's cool. I think the treble bleed might be more of a necessity on the Streamliner series, given how dark the Broad'Tron pickups are. They're great humbuckers, but they don't have a lot of extra treble to spare.

10. dlew919

dlew919 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I’m thinking you could have the bleed on the master and roll of the table volume on the individuals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

section2 likes this.
  11. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    An orange bleed would be most appropriate for me.....

section2 and dlew919 like this.
  12. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Jun 2, 2018
    Sunny California
    Getting old is inevitable .
    Being strange is an option.

But I agree with your assessment.

Carry on.

section2 likes this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    This was the best mod I ever did to my super-strats by far. It was quite a journey to find the right capacitor value. I really thought I had a different guitar under my fingers. Just great.

section2 likes this.
  14. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    It's on the volume pot. Yeah weird. It's a simple 2 pot guitar; volume and tone. Both 500k, tone cap is .033. Tone worked typically prior to the bleed install.

Not a fan of treble bleeds on my solidbody guitars. I like the sound different on 10 vs 8 on those and use it like another tool. (like Gretschman65 said)

15. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    You can buy a treble bleed from TV Jones that utilizes a resistor and an ange drop cap.

16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    This helped the Electrocoustimatic a lot as well. I also only put on the Master; I figure I might actually want the tone rolloff sound sometime, and can use the pickup volumes for that. I used a .001 uF cap and a 120K resistor IIRC in parallel.

section2 likes this.
  17. Mr. Lumbergh

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    You can get the components for less than a buck at Antique Audio Supply, but at $3.50 it really doesn't look as though TV is gouging, which is good.

section2 likes this.
  18. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    I've been struggling with this treble bleed stuff for ages.

Does it mean that when you roll off the pickup volume, and balance that with the master, you'll inject a solution to the inherent hassles with the mud-switch tone?

Russ

19. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Gretschie

May 20, 2016
    Australia

russmack likes this.
  20. Mr. Lumbergh

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Not sure I understand your question.