Travel guitar info.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by nickurso, Nov 30, 2019 at 11:53 PM.

1. EssEll

EssEll Electromatic

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    "Travel guitar" means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Some think it simply means "cheap" and easily replaceable. Other think it means as tiny and portable as possible. For me, size is a huge part of it; I want something definitely smaller than a regular guitar, very compact but still with some good tone. I have two that I really like -- one is a Go Guitar that's all wood, very compact but still with enough body and resonance to sound and play well. The other, and far more expensive, is a Blackbird Rider. They don't make them new but you can find them here and there used. It's the steel string model and they also have a nylon-string version. They're all carbon-fiber, very strong, very lightweight and virtually impervious to temperature and humidity. Great, piano-like sound as well, and I LOVE mine. To me, it's the perfect travel guitar.

(Do a search for travel guitar over at the Acoustic Guitar Forum and you'll be reading for hours!)

nickurso and MotorCentaur like this.
  2. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I’m definitely looking for size. I travel by plane and already carry a Cpap machine so it has to be small. Not worried about sound as much as I just want to practice while I’m away. November I was only home 10 day and December will be the same. I can play an electric without an amp while I’m away and I think that will make it smaller

EssEll likes this.
  3. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
  4. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    I have the Traveler Guitar in the LP gold top shape. Its flown with me 50+ times, including into PNG and way out into the outback. It can always go in the overhead bins.

the traveling part is good and the neck and action is ok. Sound of the onboard headphone amp is low quality, but in a quiet hotel room the sound of just the strings can be fun. If I have a vacant seat next to me in economy, I can play it through headphones and practice in the plane. The sound of the strings gets muted out by the planes engine noise.

the big fault is tuning stability. The strings wrap around a plastic roller to get to the machine heads and it binds as well as gets pulled out of tune on whole step bends. Its better with new strings, and I hear one guy say he replaced the roller with machined stainless steel and completely fixed the problem. When you tune you have to tune and stretch. The problem is less serious with new strings and when its well set up and played in.

I have the nylon version too. Thats better because I don't bend with it.

Overall I think its good and very practical for travelling. I would like to try the Steinberger spirit, and the Yamaha silents next, if I get spare money.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 1:53 PM
    Penguin and nickurso like this.
  5. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Next time I pass through Orange, I'll bring the Steiny out :)
    Peng

nickurso likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice