Travel guitar info.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by nickurso, Nov 30, 2019 at 11:53 PM.

1. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I’ve been traveling a lot lately and don’t bring a guitar because I fly. I’ve been thinking about getting a travel guitar, a cheap travel guitar. I saw that Hofner makes one that’s not expensive at all but I thought I would ask here for info. Thanks in advance

2. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    I got a Strobel travel guitar when I was travelling for a living. Through an iPad with headphones meant I could play it in the hotel at all the weird (late) hours we kept. Very quickly came apart and would fit in a briefcase that way. Good electronics, good design for removing the neck; all in all I was impressed. It has all the usual adjustments for action, neck relief etc, and sounds good.
    I will say however it was not the cheapest "travel guitar" out there, and is a solid body (which I wanted). But it wasn't really expensive either. Anyway I still have it and do play it at home.

Hope you find what you need. Mine was in use all the time on the road.

nickurso likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 4:52 AM
    nickurso likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I have a Martin Backpacker.
    Odd shape, but it fits just about anywhere, can be played in a recliner, and can double as a canoe paddle.
    Built like a tank as well. 24" scale.

nickurso likes this.
  5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey Nick, I have a Treveler Speedster. It has a full scale fretboard and strings through the back. I pair it with one of those itty-bitty Fender Twin amps that run on a 9v battery. It plays great, and rarely needs anything more than strings. It has traveled all over the world with me.

Best of all, it even sounds good. The pickup in it is a decent humbucker and plugged into a decent amp it sounds terrific. Periodically, I'll bring it to a jam just to freak people out and they are consistently amazed by the great sound and playability.

It packs up light, small and solid. It easily fits in the overheads on airliners and fits inside my suitcase if I don't feel like carrying it.

I can't recommend it enough if you are looking for an electric travel guitar.

https://travelerguitar.com/products/speedster-wine-red

nickurso likes this.
  6. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    This is one I’m looking at that’s for the recommendation. I want something that plays good when I travel

Tony65x55 likes this.
  7. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    How is the neck on the backpacker

8. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Not quite a baseball bat, but a substantial C shape. The guitar is pretty solidly built. That's why it sits out by my couch---safe from toddlers, cats and a lunatic dog. Mine's a first generation (narrow headstock) and is piezo equipped, that I got a great deal on at a GC blowout.

Tony65x55 and nickurso like this.
  9. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I'm about to head out on a four-month backpacking trip across Asia with my wife and our two young kids. I didn't want to go without an instrument, but it needed to be extremely portable. I chose an Ibanez piccolo guitar. It's the size of a tenor ukulele, but it's got six steel strings tuned ADGCEA. The fingerboard is a little cramped and the build quality is not spectacular, but it suits my needs just fine now that I've swapped in a set of brass pins along with a Tusq nut and saddle.

nickurso likes this.
  10. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    I'm really happy with my Steinberger Spirit. It's the same size or a little smaller than a Martin Backpacker. Full size fretboard, 3 p/ups, fairly resonant when unplugged, sits a lot better than my Backpacker that I constantly fight to just stay in one spot when playing it.

nickurso likes this.
  11. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
  12. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    IMG_4359.jpg About ten years ago, my wife who knows not much about guitar brought me a Washburn travel guitar. I'd never played a Washburn before. Svelte. Nylon strings. Sounds great. Plays great. Taken it on about a dozen trips. The case is good. It is indeed a real guitar . It is not real loud which is a plus in a hotel room for a number of reasons. You could do worse. I see them on Ebay from time to time. (PS I own a Hofner Jazz Box and it is a VERY NICE guitar! You probably will do well with a Hofner also)

nickurso and new6659 like this.
  13. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Nick,

I've had a bunch because I travel a lot. Here's a description of the journey....
    * I started with a MiniStar Castar (e.g. https://reverb.com/item/2790657-min...atural-finish-h-s-h-pickups-with-built-in-amp). It was the cheapest of the lot and one of the best. But it was too long for my suitcase and almost too long for my backpack, so I decided to try something else.
    * I then bought a Steinberger Spirit, but I wanted something even smaller, and sold it.
    * I then bought a Palm Guitar which was expensive but beautifully made ... but it was too small and I felt cramped on the fretboard, so I sold that.
    * I then bought a 3/4 size Fender Squier strat but again I felt cramped, so that went out.
    * I then realised that I really liked the Steinberger Spirit, so I bought another one of those.

So... knowing what I know now...
    * I think the Hofner Shorty would be too cramped for me.
    * The Traveler series (e.g. https://reverb.com/item/29125939-traveler-guitar-pro-series-maple-maple) looks intriguing, but they are expensive.
    * I'd probably just buy another Steinberger. It fits in my pack, my suitcase or my daypack/carry-on, is comfortable with the fold-out leg rest, and stays in tune forever.

IHTH,
    Peng

Henry and nickurso like this.
  14. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Yeah, you've got to use a strap with a Backpacker. Rest your hand on what would be the upper bout. Nice for finger picking that way. They definitely don't just sit on a lap like a regular acoustic.

nickurso likes this.
  15. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I need a strap on all my guitars because I lost my lap years ago in an eating accident lol

CaliforniaSlim, Henry and wabash slim like this.
  16. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm not so slim anymore either.

I blame Mrs. Slim's cooking.

nickurso likes this.
  17. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Believe me, I've tried about every option with that thing. It's like trying to pin down a greased snake. I kinda hate the sound of it too, to be honest. Sounds like a tinny, unresonant banjo.

The Steinberger Spirit has 24 frets, and doesn't fly around anywhere near as badly...

nickurso and wabash slim like this.
  18. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I totally understand about the sound quality. I didn't expect it to sound like a dreadnaught. I got it coz it fits anywhere, has strings and frets, and so I can play whenever and not annoy anyone. ---especially with my lack of skills. There are tradeoffs in all things. I do like the Steinberger as well but it won't sound like a full size acoustic either without amplification. The little Martin was a great deal, and can sound like a full size instrument with it's piezo.

nickurso likes this.
  19. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I don’t know who to blame so o guess it’s on me

wabash slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice