Trade my 6120EC FOR A SETZER HOT ROD ????

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by rob batz, Jul 13, 2019.

1. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    ok . so I got a forum member who is willing to trade a beautiful Setzer hot rod in a yellowish green sparkle , it’s beautiful! As u may know thru my other post I wanted to trade it for a trestle braced guitar, wich the Setzer is , as opposed to the fully hollow EDDIE Cochran model , is this a legit trade or am I nuts?cause I think it a good deal both ways

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    MKunie likes this.
  2. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    Just wanna make sure it’s a good deal for us both

3. Joe Desperado

Joe Desperado Electromatic

Jun 13, 2019
    Chicago
    Trestle braced Setzer models are killer on stage. If you like it and will use it more, I would go for it.

rob batz likes this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Joe!
    Welcome-Mats 26.jpg

Joe Desperado, Merc and rob batz like this.
  5. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Soooooooooo you asked a straight trade is not a good deal for you. There are butt load of hot rods available for sale maybe even more than a buttload. :). A fair trade for the Cochrane would be the hot rod and $400 to $500.00 to you.
    Looking at actual sold sales on reverb the used hot rods go for a low of $1,000 and a high of $1695.00 most around $1,400 and a lot of them available
    The used Cochran 6120ec actual sold sales on reverb go for a low of $1750.00 and a high of $2125.00 all the others have sold for $1900.00+.

Hey if your in for making me a good deal I'll give you both these Hagstroms with major upgrades and $500.00 cash Yes, you wood be nuts to take the deal mine or the hot rod straight up.

Attached Files:

JHowdy, pmac11, Merc and 1 other person like this.
  6. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    U got me thinking thanx for the honesty and the work to find the info on them Thru reverb

7. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Now you could give me $500.00 and your Cochrane for my custom RCB Twangmaster Dog Hair Tele. Guaranteed no Feedback issues. Seriously I wouldn't sell or trade the Twangmaster it is the best one I ever built and last one I will ever build.

I am glad you asked for advice because I am an expert at knowing what everyone else should do. :)

Attached Files:

MyGirlGretta, Henry and rob batz like this.
  8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’m thinking back to the trade offer in the previous post. Maybe I’m mixed up in posts but I thought the offer was the Hot Rod plus cash.

Although the HR will feedback less, I still wonder if a center block might do you better against feedback overall. As in zero feedback. However if you’re able to control the feedback with the Armstrong, the HR will likely do you fine.

rob batz likes this.
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I much prefer the Setzer than the Cochran myself - but rcboals might be right on also needing a few $100 on top :)

10. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

What year (and pickups) is the Hot Rod? Some will have TV Jones Setzer pickups, others will have TV Jones Classics. I also think there were a few earlier ones with Tone Posts instead of Trestle bracing. Color you are describing, is it Lime Gold? If so, that would be from the first series of Hot Rods, not the current Gen II.

rob batz likes this.
  11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Lol, unfortunately, I think it's contagious.

pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  12. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I wouldn't, but I am me, and you are you.
    At the end of the day, ya gotta please yerself!

If the EC was killing me with feedback, I'd just try feeding a bed sheet into the body through an f-hole, or unscrew a pickup and feed it in thru the pickup hole. It's a cool guitar.

MKunie likes this.
  13. Misty Mountain Hop

Misty Mountain Hop Gretschie

Feb 14, 2012
    Washington
    What happened to our trade? You just freakin ghosted me.... but good luck with your trade....

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    reverb11, Henry, speedicut and 2 others like this.
  14. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    You can find actual sold sales $$ on Reverb and Ebay easily. As far as feedback on a hollow body I now have four hollow bodies in my stable Gibson 62 ES-330, Hagstrom HJ800, 77 Guild X500, 62 Gretsch G6119FT. I don't have a problem with feedback with any of them. I have owned over the years three 6120's and a white falcon no problem with feedback with them either. My music is classic Rockabilly, 50 and 60 rock and praise worship from country to contemporary. I don't know exactly what you are doing to get feedback to where it is intolerable. I can only think your volume is way to high and you are positioning yourself to the amp wrong. It could be the style of music your playing as well and the wrong guitar for it. Solid bodies of course have the least amount of feedback, next semi hollow like the Gretsch Panther, or Gibson ES-335. As far as trading guitars goes, it has worked for me a couple times over the years because all the stars were lined up in perfect order rare. :) Usually trade deals don't work well. Since I know what you should do ;) I will tell you, sell your 6120ec and buy what you think you want. If the Cochran has to much feed back there is no 6120 you are going to be happy with trestle, post, or hollow. I think a few models are center block I know they build a Falcon with one.

new6659, rob batz and Lionpotato like this.
  15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    No doubt: Your 6120 is more valuable on the second hand market than a Setzer HR. So some extra cash should be paid to sweeten the deal. Don`t be so desperate to let this beauty go for a song.

JHowdy and rcboals like this.
  16. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    I never traded anyone yet, and truthfully I’ve had other bigger issues ,so I guess I git mixed up in the shuffle of life and secondary to that this forum ,this stuff only takes me away from life’s issues and trauma for short periods of time and I’m dealing wit multiple people on the trade thing , I didn’t mean to leave anyone or u hanging , sorry

Misty Mountain Hop and Merc like this.
  17. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    I’m gonna keep it, it’s a headace doing a trade that’s fair,

18. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
  19. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    I’m pretty sure both guitars should be sent to Funky54 for evaluation and use.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    MKunie, sh4rkbyt3, pmac11 and 2 others like this.
  20. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Well you can try some foam inside as previously suggested. I remember someone saying they cut foam an inch larger than the shape and stuck it into the f-holes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice