Tort or black pickguard?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Telechamp, Aug 22, 2019.

1. EESmith

EESmith Electromatic

Jun 6, 2019
    Plymouth, IN
    I was going to say black until I realized it is double bound in gold; tortoise.

2. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The binding is actually a cream color (see pic below), but yes, it does kind of look gold (in the lighting) with some of the shots I took.

[​IMG]

Bertotti and larryb like this.
  3. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Cool...Teles are the best IMO! Can we see a pic of that Vintage white/creme one?

...You need one of these my friend...not only is it my favorite Tele, it is my favorite guitar..period! This one is getting a pearloid white guard:cool:
    tes.jpg

Telechamp likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    This pic reinforces my opinion that tort is the way to go.

Telechamp and larryb like this.
  5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Looking at these new pics, I'm not sure you could go wrong either way!

BTW, I have a Daphne Blue Strat, so I know just how beautiful that Tele is in person. :)

Telechamp likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Not to go off on a tangent, but is it Daphne or Sonic blue? Looks more like Sonic to me.

7. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Sure - That one is my 1983 "Standard" top loader w/ Elite saddles. Last of the Fullertons.

These were only made in '82 and '83 from what I understand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, it's definitely Daphne Blue. I got the body from GFS, and they describe it as follows:

"Item #Description TLDB_DB_Lightweight Double Bound TelecasterĀ® Style Body Daphne Blue"

Ricochet likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Is that a butter cream color? I see the new Strat colors include a butter cream now that looks really nice.

10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Vintage White is one of my favs! That is gorgeous....My first Strat was a 96 American Standard in that color.:cool:

Telechamp likes this.
  11. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Of your 2 possibilities, black, BUT cream for sure is better IMO. As soon as I finish the Tele I'm working on this hideous tort is coming off my Reverend. Similar binding color to yours so cream is the ticket. I wish Rev PG's were as easy to come by as Teles.

5c76e11b03ce797070898927_bs_CB_b_3-p-800.jpeg

12. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Here (3rd photo below) is the original Fender brochure and description of the 1983 Tele (and Strat) "Standard". It appears they called this finish "Ivory", but I wouldn't call it that myself.. Mine is more of a cream-colored finish, but obviously it has darkened over the years. It probably was a lot lighter when it was new. (I bought it used over twenty years ago.)

You can sort of get a glimpse of what the original color looked like in these two shots below - Look around the control plate. I took these pics when I was working on it recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Bertotti likes this.
  13. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    That's Daphne Blue, correct? Great finish on that Rev. Actually, I do like the tort guard on that one - but yes, a cream guard would look great as well.

14. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    They call it Sonic Blue.

Telechamp likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice