Top 20 Greatest Keyboard Intros of All Time

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Aug 9, 2019.

1. manunk

manunk Electromatic

Deep Purple Sweet Child In Time.

2. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Always thought Beck's Where It's At was a sample!
    Agree with Supertramp and Genesis selection here. Actually, when I first saw the thread, First of Fifth what immediately came to my mind and I wanted to listen and check before posting. Also wanted to list Imagine.

Missing: Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London, possibly because the piano is not alone here. But that's a signature intro for sure.

EC Strat and drmilktruck like this.
  3. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Supertramp "Take the Long Way Home". Honorable mention.

EC Strat, drmilktruck and audept like this.
  4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Love Lies Bleeding - Elton John
    She's Not There - Rod Argent/The Zombies
    Summertime - Rod Argent/The Zombies
    Light My Fire - Ray Manzarek/The Doors

Charlie westside and MTurner like this.
  5. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Electromatic

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    Man there is a very strong field for this topic but for me Keith Emerson always rises to the top of my list:

Charlie westside and MTurner like this.
  6. Shroudy

Shroudy Electromatic

Mar 13, 2019
    The Bronx
  7. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Being 15 years old in 1981 in France, there was no way I could have escaped to that.
    BTW, I still love that song an the whole album.

OK, the guitar solo is quite cheesy.
    Being fed by Scotty Moore from the age of 12, I already found it cheesy back in the days.
    It was played by a Johnny Gale as the album was recorded in New York with US musicians. Don't know who he is, no impressive career (from discogs).

For the ones here who don't get Moliere's language, lyrics translation here:
    https://lyricstranslate.com/en/comme-un-avion-sans-aile-airplane-without-wings.html

Charlie westside likes this.
  8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    EM is full of great keayboards intro... Just one here - mythic !

A+!

9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    "Fanfare for the Common Man" - Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

10. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Great choice. Yup should have spot. @ least an honorable mention.

11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    In 1980 when I was buying my first really good stereo system, that was the song that I used at the various stores to compare speakers.It had the piano, Rodger Hodgson’s high voice, the harmonica, the bass and drums. It was a great track to compare audio quality.

12. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    It is truly a great tune. I remember those Awesome stereos Pioneer, Fisher. All of the components and equalizers. Those were great times. If you spent 3 or 4 hundred bucks you had an excellent stereo and were the envy of everyone. Separate turn Table for your vinyl, dual cassette deck, Graphic equalizers. Technology is now too advanced for that. Strange though, the LP is back.

drmilktruck and hcsterg like this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It was usually the first thing that got hooked up in a new apartment. Often sat on a block and board bookcase. I started before cassettes. Heathkit and Dynaco electronics, and EV speakers (Dad had a connection).

New tech? There's no way to adjust tone on my computer speakers---not that a 2" by 1/2" speaker's going to do much. Most new speakers are relegated to tinny, tiny Bluetooth mono toys. I have a new low wattage tube amp that works nicely with my Klipsches. The amp also has a Bluetooth input. Go figure.

Vinyl is back, to a point. Usually, from what I've seen, is that it's hipsters playing music on portable record players. Still, there are plenty of audiophiles around. LPs are still the tops in analogue electro mechanical audio.

I first started listening to music back when LPs and 45s were new. We had a crank up Victrola and 78s. Black and white TV and an AM radio. Even made a crystal radio in Scouts. Gear's changed a bit since then.

14. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    True @Charlie westside and @wabash slim :) - like you, I still keep some Vintage HiFi gear - DIY or not - despite that I have sold some of them o_O... I must confess that I do not use them too much these times :oops: :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And maybe one day, all these fed-up-technology-freaks young people will rediscover all that stuff, like they rediscover Vynil records... Oh, and it will be the Novelty of the Century, like the discoveery of Hot Water !

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

Charlie westside and wabash slim like this.
  15. EC Strat

EC Strat Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    I’m a Tangerine Dream fan also - you should’ve posted the piano intro to Pergamon!!

16. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    At that time I chose an Onkyo belt driven turntable with a straight tonearm and a Micro Acoustics cartridge; Yamaha amplifier (no receiver for purist me!) and Genesis 2+ loudspeakers.

17. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I sold off most of my vinyl and three turntables the last time I moved. Just too much stuff to deal with that I wasn't using. Empire, Thorens (they started off making music boxes) and an ancient Rek-O-Kut. Just didn't have the space for all of it.

In the '60s and '70s, we'd go to the music store and the stereo store. At least a few of the music stores are still around.

18. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Wow, You have seen a lot of changes in music tech. . My 1st exposure to music was my dad cranking Herp Albert & the Taijuan Brass on a 4 track player. My 1st stereo was a combo record player/8 Track/ Am/ Fm one piece from a place called Zody's or White Front. Not sure which one. Those were the big Dept stores here before Kmart. Yes It's truly sad what we are relegated to as for as music listening stuff. It was enjoyable to set your EQ to your liking. My acoustic amp is a Fishman Loud Box mini with a 6 in. speaker. It has bluetooth..I feel you on that.

drmilktruck likes this.
  19. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Ha, Ha, I hear you. You have some awesome stuff lying around. It's great you hung on to it. I know I got rid of mine years ago. I wish I would have kept it. It's like a guitar you sell and years later regret it. The only thing I have Left are these 2 4 ft. tall Pioneer Sterio Speaker towers. I use them for monitor stands in my home studio. It must be cool to crank up the old stereo system every now and. Love you amps. Awesome.

20. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Would have liked to have see that. Or maybe better yet, Hear that. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice