Too much of a good thing

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 26, 2020.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Gene Clark's G6119, before the Crosby Appropriation:

[​IMG]

5120mantis, drmilktruck and Telechamp like this.
  2. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    for any that care, there is a great 4 part podcast/interview w David Crosby (search Freak Flag Flying on Apple podcasts) Really great interview and he talks about his time in, and getting ousted from, the Byrds.

Telechamp and drmilktruck like this.
  3. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Big fan of the early Byrds...they get the worm!

I just checked this book out from my library, yeah it is quite a large volume. Did he ever make a Vol 2?

Lots of interesting tidbits about their history and what life was like for the young author, he tells a good story. A good and very long story, but I am enjoying it.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    volume 2 was published last year.

5. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    IMHO under appreciated says it all...musicians, singers, composers of numerous genres of music. I can't list how many ah ha moments I experienced when finding some gem that never got the play time it deserved.

6. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I really like to get into Rick Nelson’s early teen stuff to see what I can pick up from James Burton’s guitar work. I always liked RN’s voice; it seemed so naturally easy. I can still spend a couple hours trying to get Burton’s riffs on Waitin’ In School or Hello Mary Lou. Like George Harrison, I have to wonder how James was so good so young. How he and Rick got together is an interesting story in itself. What a great team.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    drmilktruck and mrfixitmi like this.
  7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    They were a great team. Nelson’s voice was about as good as they get.

drmilktruck and mrfixitmi like this.
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    My current all time favorite Byrds song.

ZackyDog, Randy99CL and mrfixitmi like this.
  9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Since reading and listening to lots about The Byrds I've developed a new appreciation for David Crosby. I had thought of him before as a somewhat comical figure, less talented than those he played with like McGuinn, Stills, Young, Nash, etc ... He's a solid guitar player and created the unique Byrds harmonies.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    Telechamp and mrfixitmi like this.
  10. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Somewhat reminds me of Eight Miles High, but I like it better.

drmilktruck likes this.
  11. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Well, Jim ! Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you buy, "MY FIRST YEARS AS A FRESHMAN IN COLLEGES, Vol. ONE" :)

drmilktruck likes this.
  12. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Thank You Jim, one of my favorites as well. Stellar harmonies throughout, which is hard to maintain when playing the bridge.
    The accompaniment is always balanced with the respect tho the voices, even though the solos have the proper dynamic.
    Being an old Motown guy, I am probably hypersensitive to a guitar soloist who refuses to back down when the voices join back in, and the Byrds had that balance. That is very difficult to execute consistently, thanks for sharing. Great group, Great memories.

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Oops. Actually it was Joe Maphis on Waitin’ in School. James’s first recording was I Believe What You Say. Both great guitar solos, though.

14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Repeat post (from Gretsch TV Sightings) but applicable: Roger/Jim and David with dueling G6122s:

upload_2020-3-14_23-56-46.png

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Indeed and very, very disrespectful to his legacy.

drmilktruck and wabash slim like this.
  16. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    I enjoy a lot of the Byrds songs. I really like the Byrds "sound" that they created and that pops up in other people's recordings from time to time.

17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I'm seeing James Roger McGuinn in May (hopefully it won't be cancelled)

ZackyDog likes this.
  18. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    I'm a late arriver, but I do like the Byrds. For some time I've been thinking of buying some more music of theirs, as at present I've only got a compilation, an excellent CD with 25 songs, all of which I love. I'm an English teacher at a high school, and almost all my students get to know the Byrds because I use their songs (especially "Turn! Turn! Turn!") to practise listening and vocabulary.

A few years ago, when I still played guitar on a regular basis (and before I forgot how to play even the simplest of open chords), I bought the DVD you've mentioned above, "The 12-String Guitar of Roger McGuinn", hoping to be able to learn his version of "Turn! Turn! Turn!" there. Of course, my optimism was completely unfounded, but I enjoy watching it now and then. To me, that specific song is a real treat. Just Roger and his guitar, and you hardly miss the rest of the band:

(It's funny how you can even see the marks left by the strings on his index finger.)

Jim McGuinn was for a time Bobby Darin's backup guitarist and singer for the folk segment in his shows, which will always be a bonus for me. ;)

new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  19. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    Sorry for going a bit off-topic, but you might be interested in these tracks featuring Roger (Jim by then) McGuinn; not the Byrds sound, but there he is:

In 1963, at the time when Jim was workin as songwriter for Bobby Darin's company, Bobby assembled a studio group with some people around: himself on drums, McGuinn on guitar, Terry Melcher on piano and Frank Gari on vocals. The group recorded these two surf singles. Just a good way to have fun without being too serious. McGuinn had a composer's credit in "Beach Ball", too.

mrfixitmi, drmilktruck and GlenP like this.
  20. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I always wanted to check this out. Too bad that it's out of print.

[​IMG]

The "Byrds" group name is kind of ironic: Roger was fascinated with airplanes, Gene was terrified of flying. I recall at one time they called themselves the Jet-setters?

mrfixitmi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice