Too Cool!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by wabash slim, Jun 13, 2019.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Totally non guitar related---
    I just had a B-17 fly over my house! Nothing else sounds like four big round engines roaring! That's not something that happens every day.
    It was the aircraft my Dad served on in WWII as a crew chief.

gretschbo, Yukimajo, T Bone and 17 others like this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    The Flying Fortress

ishtar and wabash slim like this.
  3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Did he ever tell you what they nicknamed his plane on the side with the nose Art?

4. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    No. He didn't often talk about it. He'd talk about the silly stuff that would happen. The dark things, rarely, if at all. All I know is that once, after being up all night repairing battle damage, he didn't go on the next mission with them. They didn't return. My Mom said he cried like a baby when he told her about it. They put him in charge of a P-51 after that. Later, since his first language was Polish, and the war was pretty much over, he was assigned as an interpreter at one of the concentration camps. He wouldn't talk about that, either. I can see why.

I don't talk about my tome in Nam much, either. The rest of my service was in Texas, Colorado and Kansas, and, after Nam, in NATO in England, and that was fine. I do know I was stationed 30 miles from where he'd was stationed in England.

thunder58, pmac11, ishtar and 4 others like this.
  5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Understandable as war is not a pleasant experience per say. I was asking for the nose art and aircraft nickname as I was going to do a search to see if I could dig up a photo online.

6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I love those old planes! I had one fly over my jobsite about a year ago, you're right, that sound definitely gets my attention. 20180529_091617-1.jpg

7. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    Thanks to both your father and you for your brave service to our nation and to the cause of freedom everywhere.

mandobandit, wabash slim and Merc like this.
  8. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    My wife and I were working in a wheat field in southern Ontario when a Lancaster bomber flew over it. The sound was awe inspiring and unmistakable. I've visited the same plane which is stationed at the War Plane Museum in Hamilton, Ontario. They take it out now and again and a few years ago flew it to England for a tour of the UK with their own surviving Lancasters. My father and uncle were navigators in these planes. My uncle was lost in the war.

9. JLD4133

JLD4133 Country Gent

May 10, 2011
    Mequon, WI
    Dear Slim: Your dad is a true hero. And you too for your service, especially in Nam. I'm a "Viet Nam Era"
    vet, but never left the country (unless you consider Texas and Oklahoma out of the country). LOL I was one of the lucky ones.... Bless you both.

mandobandit likes this.
  10. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Confederate Air Force?

Lockheed x 3

7A240E79-29E1-4654-AC0E-AFEF1C288635.png

11. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    So sorry for the loss of your uncle, it must have been devastating to your family. My wife's great uncle was killed in Normandy during D-Day and her great-grandmother was never the same.

Merc and new6659 like this.
  12. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    I know what you mean. My grandmother could never forget the loss. I was amazed when a few years ago, my niece found a picture on-line of my uncle cleaning snow off the runways as they prepared to fly the Lancaster in England, as well as a couple of other pics of him with his aircrew. The pics belonged to crew members who survived the war and been entered into various WWII databases by their descendants. Amazing to see.

Merc and DannyB like this.
  13. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    After Wisconsin, Texas IS a foriegn country. Did my Basics in San Antonio, like the rest of the USAF. Instead of OK, I did tech in Colorado, & spent a time in Kansas. Wound up in England, which made up for the rest of it. You did your part, too. No one knew when or if they'd go to Nam. I figured 4 years in the AF gave me a better chance for survival than possibly two years in the Army.

Merc likes this.
  14. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I lost an uncle in a B24 over Ploesti. He was a radioman/gunner. I'm named for him. My best friend in grade school was British. His dad was a tail gunner on a Lancaster. All of my uncles served---101 & 82 Airborne (there was a rivalry), a couple in the Navy, one got captured and wounded in the Battle of the Bulge, another was a Marine in the Pacific. My mom and aunts built radial aircraft engines at Studebakers, both granddads built trucks for Lend Lease that went to Russia. Everyone in the Greatest Generation did their part if possible.

NJDevil, new6659 and Merc like this.
  15. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Oh, true : I'd be pleased if a B-17 crossed over my house ! Hoping to have my camera on hands... But no such planes in the sky over here, definetly. :(

AFAIK, the two B-17 that were used in France until circa 1980, were those of the IGN (Institut Geographique National) to take aerial pictures of the country. One is at Le Musée de l'Air in Paris : a chance for her...

Yes, because who remember the glamorous Bugatti 100P aircraft :rolleyes::cool: ? Nearly nobody in France...

The sole existing exemplary, incomplete and abandoned in a barn, was not even considered as an historic item by Le Musée de l'Air itself :eek: ... AFAIK, it has been bought by an association of US aircraft collectors and enthusiasts. A total shame for us.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A+!

blueruins, T Bone, Merc and 5 others like this.
  16. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    One Easter a B-17 and B-24 came to the local airport and gave tours ( and flights, for$$$).
    My father was a bombardier on a B-24 during the last few months of the war, bombing Japan.
    We went out and crawled through the B-17 which is actually pretty small compared the the B-24.
    When the pilots found out my dad was crew they asked him to give tours and recall anything he could which he got a kick out of.

Here we are standing next to the big B-24
    [​IMG]

Beardog, T Bone, Merc and 4 others like this.
  17. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    BTW, those engines are LOUD when coming in for a landing!
    The ground shook... I couldn't imagine being on the flight line when 100 of them were waiting to take off!

18. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I don't just pose beside warbirds, here I am with the Wienermobile :D
    [​IMG]

Merc, j.s.c and Aristophon like this.
  19. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Out here on Long Island, there is a huge concentration of military veterans and retirees of all branches of the armed forces. It's very humbling and awe inspiring.

For Memorial Day and July 4, there is a great supply of air shows over the southern part of the island off of Jones Beach. I live more towards the north/central part of the island but over Memorial Day weekend I saw 5 different formations flying overhead. The only one I can deifintely identify were 5 C-47s that were flying in a formation overhead.

My mind immediately went to the precious lives of our Airborne units dropped in the early morning hours of D-Day and in the beginning of Operation Market Garden.

Aristophon and speedicut like this.
  20. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There's an early '50s Wienermobile at the Ford Museum in Dearborn that's a lot larger. Didja get a whistle?

thunder58 and T Bone like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice