Tonight’s gig with emergency rig

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Edenfield99, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Edenfield99

Edenfield99 Electromatic

Jun 27, 2019
    Bury, UK
    219DA82E-40BC-4323-858E-381FB3D6CB57.jpeg This could probably go in the pedal forum but fits just as well here...so my amp packed up on Thursday night (again), for the second time the rectifier tube has blown. At least this time I managed to turn it off before the mains transformer went! Anyway, it’s off to the shop and I can get it replaced but I was going to use it for tonight’s gig. I have other amps but I needed something loud and clean for my gig backing up a vocalist. In the end Ive had to go guitar, pedal board with tech 21 blonde and into the PA. Doesn’t sound too bad...just not as good!

Ricochet likes this.
  2. slickfaster

slickfaster Electromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    Ya don’t bring backup amp?
    All due respect

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  3. Edenfield99

Edenfield99 Electromatic

Jun 27, 2019
    Bury, UK
    I don’t have anything suitable for this gig as a back-up, needed it loud and clean and my other amps are low powered tweed or octal based. It’s not my main gig, just me backing a singer doing pop covers, so I can get away with it. Sounded ok in the end, better than I thought at soundcheck

4. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I love my tube amps but occasionally they crap out at the worst times.

I carry with me a Quilter 101 Reverb with a 6 ft cable I made with a 1/4" plug on one end and a pair of alligator clips on the other.

If my tuber cooks I simply whip out the Quilter, attach the alligator clips to the speaker terminals and I'm back in business in two minutes flat.

For those that don't know, the little Quilter weighs two (2) pounds, has 50w RMS and sounds pretty decent if you need ok cleans. It even takes pedals well and cost a few hundred bucks. It's the size of a book. While the solid state watts are not as loud as tube watts, it is about as loud as a Deluxe Reverb. Good enough.

That rig has saved me and my bandmates several times since I got it. When I'm gigging it's an essential peice of gear.

Merc, Edenfield99 and hogrider16 like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The show must go on. You're a trouper.

I s[pent a year and a half in your neck of the woods, Edenfield, at RAF Lakenheath. Fond memories!

Edenfield99 likes this.
  6. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    Interesting guitar. Do you have anymore pics?

7. Edenfield99

Edenfield99 Electromatic

Jun 27, 2019
    Bury, UK
    The Quilter option is a good idea...especially with the croc clip leads. I’ll look into that

@vyndance Here you go...
    D3327EB1-8A16-43F8-824D-0DF8DEAD7725.jpeg

Merc and T Bone like this.
  8. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    In over 30 years of running there tube amps each night (Wet Dry Wet) I have only blown a fuse 2 times.

I just don’t get how it happens to some.

In fact the only other amp issue was when another guitar players’ solid state amp took a dump and used one of mine for the night.

Waxhead likes this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    With me if an amp got damaged it was usually in transport.
    So I bought flightcases for all of them.
    Since that measure I rarely had any problems with broken amps.
    Nevertheless I always carry a spare amp with me.
    If it`s a big gig I take an identical backup with me. If it`s a small gig I take a light Gallien Krüger 250 RL or 250 ML whick saves me the weight and transport dimensions of a big tube amp.
    As you experreinced the Tech21 will serve as a great backup, too. Many of my friends rely on their FlyRig as a backup or even as their main rig. In this case you got to have a good monitor.

10. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Luck of the draw? I don't gig, but my Deluxe Reverb Reissue is currently dead in my living room. Blew a fuse a month ago, replaced fuse and has power, still no sound. I have enough amps I just switched to another, but need to get it sorted. Guess my point is, it can certainly happen. Some type of backup plan is essential if playing out.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If you use that idea, be sure to disconnect the stock amp's speaker leads before you hook up another amp. You don't want to run the output from one amp into the other. You don't want to let the smoke out of either amp/

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    This little Vox MV50 AC with nutube sounds at least as good as the Quilter imo, is a Vox rated 50w and is half the price. It's my 1 pound backup :)

https://voxamps.com/product/mv50-ac/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Edenfield99 likes this.
  13. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I always carry a Radial Engineering Direct Drive (pedal). Have used it for a couple of larger Theatre shows at the Sound Tech’s request. It’s almost disappointing how good it sounds Front of House. Every time I use it I wonder why I carry an amplifier. But as a guitar player, you sure don’t get the same feeling as you do through a good tube amplifier.

I think what you used is a very good emergency rig.

Tony’s Quilter emergency rig is a top shelf idea.

Edenfield99 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice