ToneWoodAmp anyone tried one?

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by Bertotti, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    A couple of years ago I put together a vibration speaker with bluetooth that strapped (I wish I had thought of the magnet) on the back of my acoustic. I used it to play backing tracks through the sound hole to play along with. I thought I had come up with something cool and even visited the patent lawyer. He did some research and thought it would fly. I decided not to go forward due to the quick change in technology. I imagine I would have been blown out of the water by this. I suppose you could plug your iphone into this and do the same thing as well as what its supposed to do.
    Oh, and by the way, the guy in the demo was one of the 4 guys in this season's international guitar night, though the tour is probably cancelled now :(

GlenP and Bertotti like this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Did you get it yet? I think it may be designed for piezo's but i ain't got one so I'm using it with one of my DeArmonds (all i use). Here's mine on my '68 Yamaha FG 230. 20200322_172151.jpg 20200322_172211.jpg
    It works pretty good with the Mag pickup on a plywood guitar, i can only imagine it on a solid wood guitar with a piezo.

GlenP likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    No not yet it is in Sioux Falls fedex but not set to arrive until Tuesday!

I hope they are early but doubt it. It arrived but no one is around in Sunday’s as far as I know to sort it to the truck for my route. I certainly hope I’m wrong but way to many times I have seen it arrive there only to sit for up to three days.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    No such luck in it is still sitting at FedEx and I can’t just pick it up. So I googled a bit to see how it would play with the pure western mini, apparently they are so hot without a preamp that you need to decrease the incoming gain and tweak the notch filter. I didn’t not get any extra x things to mount in my other acoustics but if it works out well it will go into the Rancher Penguin as well provided I don’t decide to sell it. I still tend to grab my Little Martin instead so the Penguin doesn’t get much love.

5. I got confused when they said i had to put the strip of metal into my guitar for the magnet to work. It seems cool if you are solo around the house, but you would need to mike it in front of a larger audience, and in that case, you then have access to those sounds.

6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It has a line out too, i haven't tried it though.

7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Got it and installed it. I have to work out the notch filter better . I did get rid of the feedback but have an annoying tone happening kind of like the strings resonating behind a Bigsby. I rushed it because but I had to try it. I do like it I just need a bit more tweaking. Tomorrow I switch to electric for some tweaking!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Thoughts so far. I like it but it will take some time to learn to tweak well. It has an auto wah and some kind of dirt or drive and I care for neither. The delay isn’t to my liking but I haven’t played with settings yet so that may change. Reverbs trem and Leslie are nice and I must need to do an update because I thought they added chorus and dumped that of dirt whatever option. With individual drive volume and other setting and some master settings I have a fair amount of experimenting to do but the more I play the more I like it. Final judgment is still out. But I am fairly certain I will keep it. Wether I will recommend it as strongly as my Nocturne pedals remains to be seen as I learn how to beat tweak it.

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Ok last set of notes. I wound up tuning the master gain down to 15. Some individual gains down volumes depth rates give plenty of tweakablility. I am going to keep it O enjoy it but I sure don’t consider it a game changer at least not on the Martin 000-18 GE ‘37 burst. It was such an incredible sounding instrument it is hard to improve on it. The effects are fun and I do prefer to have some slight reverb Leslie or trem currently as opposed to not having it. That alone makes it a keeper. I will buy a couple more braces and try it on my other two acoustics. Well one at least. I do like the Penguin Rancher but it gets little play time so I might love it on. That is an entirely different topic though.

10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Cool man, they do require some tweaking but when you get it just right its great. Im playing mine now on the hall setting, chorus would be nice, i have no use for the dirt setting either. The auto wa is kinda fun for some Dead like things.

Bertotti likes this.
  11. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

KEENS!!! I just bought a pair of their sneakers, they are awesome, I'm sold.

Bertotti likes this.
  12. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Interesting, anxious to see how this progresses. I'm a big fan of Mike Dawes and I've been very curious about these myself.

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    They should hire me as a spokesperson I am on my 12 or 13 pair. I drive a lot and walk a lot on concrete in shops so I go through work boots quickly. I could get a few more years out of them with new insoles but my knees and back like a new pair every couple of years and the company allows me 140$ for safety boots each year if needed.
    I was trying to keep the incoming gain as high as possible and it turns out that it is counterproductive. I have it at 15 now but I am going to experiment with lower levels and see how it works out. I am told by them that 15 was the high side of what they could make work on their guitars using the K&K pure mini pups. Going lower allows for more adjustability with the volume and gain controls within each effect itself. I also don't notice it as much over top the instrument as people do out front so it seems. So I might try making some adjustments with a mic running to one of my K10s. With the K&K going direct to the K10 I have to be quite ways back because of feedback those pups are very sensitive. I am not sure what will happen with the feed going from the unit or a mic to the K10. I even wonder how it would sound running both. I do lie it but I am not blown away like the guys in the video I posted and I think a lot of that has to do with room acoustics and setup.

Flouswa likes this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Master gain down to 5 and it improved even more. I can hear it clearer above than I was. I wouldn’t expect miracles but it is a fun device to have. I don’t regret the purchase. I will be buying an xbrace to install it into the Rancher Penguin and at some point a pup and brace to put it in the little Martin.

Flouswa likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice