Tone controls, volume, and pickup selector 5420T

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by cp73, Jul 8, 2018.

1. cp73

cp73 Electromatic

Dec 12, 2017
    Laguna Hill, CA
    Is it just me because I am a newb or do you really use all those tone and volume controls. I can tell a difference using the pickup selectors but the other 4 knobs just all seem to be volume control and do about the same thing. I seem to always have them turned up to max....How about you where are your knobs and do you really use them all? They sure do look nice though.

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    With Filtertrons, nope. But it wouldn’t be Gretsch without them, for me anyways. With Dyna-types and Hilos, I use the tone knob more and the individual volumes maybe for the blend/middle position.

3. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    How big of an amp are you playing through?

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I generally start with everything on 7 or 8 depends on the guitar, then increase from there. Onstrats this works well and I set the amp for it then adjust for the middle position and tweak from there, Something with four controls like the Minarik, with two tones and two volumes I tend to keep the tones cranked and the volumes at 9 or maxed and adjust the amp volume for it. I do not like that type of set up. The Gretsch is the easiest. I adjust the individual volumes for the best both pup balance for me, and use the master volume to adjust from there I set the individuals with the master on 7 or 8. I love the tone switch and find myself using it often but initial settings are done with it in the bypassed position. This is how I do it with any of my amps from a xxx half stack to the little jsx mini or vox nighttrain.

5. cp73

cp73 Electromatic

Dec 12, 2017
    Laguna Hill, CA
    Just a small line6 spider V30

6. cp73

cp73 Electromatic

Dec 12, 2017
    Laguna Hill, CA
    What there's numbers on them? I dont see any? Is that on a 10 scale estimate?

7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yes all off zero wide open ten.
    by meaurement, I suppose I turn them all up to wide open then back them off about 1/8" or two to three mm.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  8. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    That will get loud! Dime the amp then adjust the guitar. I normally have the neck full on and roll the bridge off just enough to take the bite out of it and adjust volume with the master. The tone is set where you like it. There is a cat from Western Europe that does more with volume, tone and pickup selector than anyone I've ever see but his name escapes me. Or...... you could be like Setzer or Van Halen and just have a volume and pick up selector.

9. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Not that I'm a great one to ask, but personally, I turn 'em all up and adjust tone by how I pick or strum. I use the meat of my fingers usually, but I'll flat pick as well. Pickup selection and location of your hand make a lot of difference as well. Tone controls only cut, never boost, unless it's an active circuit. Volume controls can sap highs. I don't normally use pedals, either. I do like the master volume control---especially for it's placement near the neck. The AC15 gives me whatever else I need. Works for me. YMMV.

Strings---.10 or .11 usually, tho I've got .13s on one guitar and .09s on another. I'm flexible. I like a wound G, but I'm a rhythm player mostly, and I'm more likely to play an acoustic.

Consider all controls to be a 0-10 scale, or if using "clock" terminology, from 7AM to 5PM. It's arbitrary, but, it's a starting point. If your amp has a drive/master volume set up, you can leave the master down to a comfortable level, and adjust the pre/drive level for clean vs dirty. Start quietly, all tone controls at 10, cut as needed. It's all up to your ears in the end. Aside from excessive volume, you probably can't hurt anything by experimenting. Enjoy the process!

10. Ian Jordan

Ian Jordan Gretschie

Oct 14, 2012
    Coggeshall England
    I tend to have all knobs set at maximum (10), then back the neck pick up volume knob to about 9.5. I find this gives me the right balance volume wise between all three pick up positions.

11. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    For me the individual volume & master volume controls are unnecessary & redundant. I'm fine with the single volume on my Historic G3161. The tone control, on the 3161 & 5120 (Gretschbuckers) is open all the way because they are so dull they need all the highs they can provide. I might be able to use the tone control a bit on my new 5420 & 5435 but I haven't gigged with them yet.

12. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    On the newer (2016-2018) 5420Ts the master volume control is wired with a treble bleed circuit making it a very viable item if you want to adjust the volume without sacrificing high frequencies.